The Aerosexual Thread

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember when I was just 18 my mates dad had was an ansett gold member we got into the lounge ,I was blown away by the toasters. Mal meninga was infront of me we chatted whilst the rasin toast was being made .
I feel cheated. I can't get raisin toast in the Singapore Airlines lounges in Sydney, Changi or Zurich- or even the Virgin Airlines lounge in Cairns for that matter.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel cheated. I can't get raisin toast in the Singapore Airlines lounges in Sydney, Changi or Zurich- or even the Virgin Airlines lounge in Cairns for that matter.
I was watching some outback qld rail journeys last night their trains shit all over the xpt, also as gruelling as it seems id love to do an amtrack sleeper Chicago to la just for the scenery

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was watching some outback qld rail journeys last night their trains shit all over the xpt, also as gruelling as it seems id love to do an amtrack sleeper Chicago to la just for the scenery
I run tours on the Gulflander, Savannahlander, and Spirit of the Outback in Qld. They are terrific trips.
Ken on the Gulflander, and Leigh and Wil on the Savannahlander are great guys, and make the trip fun.

Chicago to LA would be the Southwest Chief on the old Santa Fe mainline, which route 66 parallels for much of its journey. Unfortunately the climb over Raton pass, and descent of Cajon pass - both famous Santa Fe scenic grades - are in the dark. The Red Cliffs, which were an icon of the Chief, Super Chief, California Limited, El Capitan expresses, should appear around breakfast time, but Amtrak trains are notoriously late.

I also wouldn't mind Chicago-Seattle over the old Great Northern, on the Empire Builder; or the California Zephyr on the Union Pacific to San Fransisco.
Empire builder is the furthest north, and runs through the big Cascade tunnel.
California Zephyr runs through classic mesa country, Cowboy towns like Cheyenne, Laramie, Green River, Medicine Bow; and over the infamous Donner Pass.

They'd all be wonderful trips. Sleeper is the best way to travel. Coach is very cheap; but lacks your own facilities, access to the diner, or a bed.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I run tours on the Gulflander, Savannahlander, and Spirit of the Outback in Qld. They are terrific trips.
Ken on the Gulflander, and Leigh and Wil on the Savannahlander are great guys, and make the trip fun.

Chicago to LA would be the Southwest Chief on the old Santa Fe mainline, which route 66 parallels for much of its journey. Unfortunately the climb over Raton pass, and descent of Cajon pass - both famous Santa Fe scenic grades - are in the dark. The Red Cliffs, which were an icon of the Chief, Super Chief, California Limited, El Capitan expresses, should appear around breakfast time, but Amtrak trains are notoriously late.

I also wouldn't mind Chicago-Seattle over the old Great Northern, on the Empire Builder; or the California Zephyr on the Union Pacific to San Fransisco.
Empire builder is the furthest north, and runs through the big Cascade tunnel.
California Zephyr runs through classic mesa country, Cowboy towns like Cheyenne, Laramie, Green River, Medicine Bow; and over the infamous Donner Pass.

They'd all be wonderful trips. Sleeper is the best way to travel. Coach is very cheap; but lacks your own facilities, access to the diner, or a bed.
The zephyr looks really good i was actually surprised the time you want rail to be slow watched a video on it for 3hrs last night lol sometimes you forget America is not all politics and has some beautiful scenery

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm winning powerball tonight, I'll charter a 787 for the kennel where do we want to go ?
Ps @Mr 95% gets first say as long as I can ride on the back of his chair?
( although I'm skating again a electric board these days)

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Have driven Route 66 but have also done the Amtrak from Chicago down to New York. Both ways there is some pretty spectacular scenery

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm winning powerball tonight, I'll charter a 787 for the kennel where do we want to go ?
Ps @Mr 95% gets first say as long as I can ride on the back of his chair?
( although I'm skating again a electric board these days)
I'll be winning the 20 mill on saturdays lotto. So if you miss out on the powerball win I'll see what I can do about shouting a kennel trip to the US.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
G
Huh southys pole?
Only problem with your South Pole Southy is its at half mast..from years of abuse..

ps..Sorry you lost..but I will pick up the tab when I win the 50 mill next week..I’ve had a bad run of luck..surely it has to change eventually! Lol..

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The zephyr looks really good i was actually surprised the time you want rail to be slow watched a video on it for 3hrs last night lol sometimes you forget America is not all politics and has some beautiful scenery
Some amazing scenery. Starting out through the Granger states, the grain belt of the USA where the country is almost level . This was where the Santa Fe had its high speed steam locos - big "Hudsons" -7 foot drive wheels, running at 160 kmh with 16 car expresses to Kansas City (which is not in Kansas). From Kansas City to LA they put on their bigger "Northern" locos - 80 inch drive wheels, but with more grunt for the grades of Raton and Cajon. These were the largest Northerns ever built, and could run at 160 kmh over the high plains of Arizona and the Mojave.

The one loco would do the entire Kansas City-LA run; have a two hour service at the Santa Fe's Redondo roundhouse, then do the return run to Kansas City. Amazing machines. In the past they would change locos every few hundred kilometres, but the big Northerns could do the whole journey, refueling along the way. They were oil burners, and the cabs could get very hot in summer running through the Mojave desert with its temperatures around 40 C. Even though they were massive machines, they still required up to two helper locos over Raton and Cajon because the Santa Fe was proud of its on time running. When diesels took over in the early 1950s, some of the big Northerns were retained to act as helpers for the diesels over the passes.

While the locos were being serviced, the trains would be taken to the coach yard where they were cleaned inside and out, the bogies silver frosted, and returned to LA Union Station looking like brand new cars.

In those days Chicago to LA was scheduled for just under 37 hours - and the Santa Fe was always on time. Their Super Chief had the reputation for the finest dining on rails in the USA- even eclipsing New York Central's famous 20th Century Limited.

There are two great mountain ranges to the west - the Rocky Mountains, and the Sierras in California. The changing scenery from farmland to snow capped mountains, high plains, desert, and more snow capped mountains is something we can't match in this country.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
shit all over the xpt,
NSW has new long distance trains coming in 2022/23. Badly needed as the XPT turns 40 next year. I happened to see the XPT go past the other day and was looking for the hamster on the wheel powering it - it looks so old and far from the quality it once was. Whoops was I talking about a train or me :-).

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago I did Amtrak Boston to New York. Coming down through MA & CT there’s some nice scenery too, especially during fall.
Was looking dreaming of possibly future trips la to seatle 35hrs train stay 2 days aviation museum, seatle to dc 65 hrs aviation museum fly back la home ,I could do that on a sleeper car with a few bottles of whiskey

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Was looking dreaming of possibly future trips la to seatle 35hrs train stay 2 days aviation museum, seatle to dc 65 hrs aviation museum fly back la home ,I could do that on a sleeper car with a few bottles of whiskey
Just be careful of Antifa in DC - they might be trying to storm the Capitol (whoops wrong thread) :-).

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Dad worked at QANTAS for 35 years in heavy engineering and I have pictures of me sitting in cockpits as an 8 year old with the pilot mid flight. I got upgraded to first class on British Airways many times travelling the old staff travel system I also slept in airports travelling that same system as there were no spare seats. Got to play in the flight simulators many times at Mascot. All of this has long long off the cards since September 11

I don’t actually like flying that much but dad loves it and can still look plane in the sky and tell you where they are headed. Oh that’s QF2106 to Cairns..

No one has any idea if he is right but I guess that’s the trick to it.