wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a shame it ended service too early.
Yeah, true. Basically it was economically unviable. I also read once that because of the sonic booms, it wasn’t allowed to fly over mainland US. So it was restricted to routes over Atlantic Ocean etc.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any idea when you will be doing more tours?
Switzerland is not on the horizon for 2021 - maybe 2022

I am hosting a tour of the dinosaur country around Winton, Hughenden, Richmond commencing May 18. We begin with the "Spirit of the Outback" from Brisbane to Longreach -also visiting the Qantas Founders Museum.

September I'm hosting an Outback Qld tour - Spirit of the Outback, Gulflander and Savannahlander; also Balley Hooley steam at Port Douglas.
Start out of Brisbane, and finish in Cairns. We fly from Mt. Isa to Normanton, get a private run on the old RM at Normanton, sunset dinner on an island off the coast of the Gulf, Cobbold Gorge, Undara Lava Tubes, Herbeton Railway - all the usual stuff.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 20348
On February 22, 1970, an Australian teen named Keith Sapsford snuck onto the tarmac at Sydney Airport and hid inside a Tokyo-bound plane. It was the last decision he ever made.
I remember it happening. He didn't know that the wheel well door opened to allow the wheel to retract.
Would have been crushed by the wheel, anyway.

If you visit the Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach, they give you a close up tour of their 707 and 747, and explain all about the various bits and pieces that adorn an aircraft, including why riding the wheel well is not good for your health. The 747 is set up with a fifth engine - for ferrying spare engines to fix stranded planes.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mornington Island.jpg
SAAB.jpg

Mornington Island. Rex SAAB

Last edited: