News The advice that sparked Averillo's magic moment

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes playing what's in front of him is nice to see for a half. Foran does the same and maybe Wakeham but don't see any of it in Lewis or Cogger
Cogger always plays whats infront of him, he might not be elite... but when he takes on the line he generally always has the ball in both hands and draws defenders, big team player.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He puts more pressure on his support than the defence and as a result he has pretty much crippled a lot of our ball movement. The defence pretty much eases up on him and pressure our support players because they know he's going to run the wrong lines and hit the wrong player, and as you said they leads to issue like ball handling.

What I like about Wakeham is that he schemes and is constantly trying to manipulate the defence throughout the game and this is something we have lacked for years. I also like that he doesn't need to rack up a massive amount of touches to do this and can instead act as a support option while pushing players where he wants them before deciding to inject himself. Unfortunately when partnered with Lewis he couldn't do this as he was stuck out on an edge and not around the ruck where he could float around see what was happening.

Averillo does look special though and moves so well with the ball in hand because of his combination of athleticism and awareness, he can pretty much pick up the ball in numerous positions and immediately attack the defence and apply pressure.

Really excited to see what these two can do if given the chance, think they will be on the same page a lot of the time and won't step on each others toes and can build a very strong partnership that can lead us forward over the coming years.

I have to admit, and I know I've been on Lachlan's case lately, but it is not helping his cause that he doesn't have access to quality attack coaching.. I am a fan of Pay, but he is obviously not an attacking coach, and we desperately need to get people in to help our young guys in their development.

I would like to see Brandon running the team with along side him when the game returns, but get the feeling Dean is going to persist with Lachlan, at least for now.. but even if Jake gets a bench spot, it's still better than not having him there at all

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good kid.
Big future, if we’re patient with him.
If we lump our “recovery” on his shoulders, expectation will break him.
Wakeham / Averillo combination has a future at the dogs.