The 9th Immortal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they want to be genuine about this there needs to be some kind of metrics to decide on a player, whether it is premierships won, games played etc. It'd be hard to argue against Darren Lockyer getting a spot, but there are so many other potential players. I'm surprised Steve Menzies isn't on the list. Played something like 450 games between NRL and ESL, scored like 180 tries in the NRL as a forward, had like 50 rep caps over 10 years. Wouldn't look out of place on the list at all.
Quiet simple to choose really... Which players were just a cut above the rest and mastered the game by the end of their careers. Most recently you would have to go through this list I reckon.

Mal Meninga
Darren Lockyer
Brad Fitler
Cam Smith - in the near future
Jon Thurston - in the near future

Hall of famers...

Greg Inglis - still one of the best I have watched
Steve Menziez
Danny Buderus
Steve Mortimer
Terry Lamb
Laurie Daley
Ricky Stewart
Greg Alexander

And there should be a few more I cant think of right now...

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Quiet simple to choose really... Which players were just a cut above the rest and mastered the game by the end of their careers. Most recently you would have to go through this list I reckon.

Mal Meninga
Darren Lockyer
Brad Fitler
Cam Smith - in the near future
Jon Thurston - in the near future

Hall of famers...

Greg Inglis - still one of the best I have watched
Steve Menziez
Danny Buderus
Steve Mortimer
Terry Lamb
Laurie Daley
Ricky Stewart
Greg Alexander

And there should be a few more I cant think of right now...
Yeah I think you need to recognise all of those players but if you have them all as immortals it cheapens the whole deal. That is why a hall of fame is good to supplement.

I would definitely pick Lockyer as the 9th, but that is just my opinion.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I think you need to recognise all of those players but if you have them all as immortals it cheapens the whole deal. That is why a hall of fame is good to supplement.

I would definitely pick Lockyer as the 9th, but that is just my opinion.
You really consider 14 immortals from thousands of careers is making it look cheap?? I would put Mal Meninga and Thurston over Lockyer any day solely because they played for weaker teams and turned them into juggernauts. Not saying Lockyer didn't rule the game at one time but the broncs were always a force and he was moulded around them.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You really consider 14 immortals from thousands of careers is making it look cheap?? I would put Mal Meninga and Thurston over Lockyer any day solely because they played for weaker teams and turned them into juggernauts. Not saying Lockyer didn't rule the game at one time but the broncs were always a force and he was moulded around them.
Meninga played with Stuart, Daley, Walters, Mullens, Lazarus & Clyde from memory - I think they were already a juggernaut. Yes JT is a great player and will be an immortal - but not for 5 years after he retires so that rules him out. As much as I hate the Broncos I have to admit Lockyer was a footballing freak - a bloke who was the best in the world at FB and 5/8 when he moved there. He made good players around him even better at both club, state and international levels.

And yes, we do need to be careful about our immortals. There are already a couple in there that were picked on emotion instead of playing ability. We have a Hall of Fame for all our great players and coaches. The immortals needs to be those players who truly changed the way the game was played not just be outstanding at playing it and there are very few of them. I don't care if we don't name one for 20 years as long as it meets the sort of criteria it should. For example Cronk is a Hall of Famer - not an immortal, nor is Cam Smith, but Billy Slater did change the way FBs play and needs to be considered when the time comes.

Think about it in the context of other sports - like cricket. Was Adam Gilcrist the best batsman or wicketkeeper in the world when he played? No, but what he did to and for the position of wicketkeeper in his time has changed the way they play and who gets selected. Same with Warnie - although his off field stuff would hold him back.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meninga played with Stuart, Daley, Walters, Mullens, Lazarus & Clyde from memory - I think they were already a juggernaut. Yes JT is a great player and will be an immortal - but not for 5 years after he retires so that rules him out. As much as I hate the Broncos I have to admit Lockyer was a footballing freak - a bloke who was the best in the world at FB and 5/8 when he moved there. He made good players around him even better at both club, state and international levels.

And yes, we do need to be careful about our immortals. There are already a couple in there that were picked on emotion instead of playing ability. We have a Hall of Fame for all our great players and coaches. The immortals needs to be those players who truly changed the way the game was played not just be outstanding at playing it and there are very few of them. I don't care if we don't name one for 20 years as long as it meets the sort of criteria it should. For example Cronk is a Hall of Famer - not an immortal, nor is Cam Smith, but Billy Slater did change the way FBs play and needs to be considered when the time comes.

Think about it in the context of other sports - like cricket. Was Adam Gilcrist the best batsman or wicketkeeper in the world when he played? No, but what he did to and for the position of wicketkeeper in his time has changed the way they play and who gets selected. Same with Warnie - although his off field stuff would hold him back.
Lockyer is an Immortal but I would still go for Mal considering their age difference. Maybe if Mal wasn't coaching he would be one already.

We are careful that's why we have hall of Famers... Slater is a supreme athlete but nothing more than a Hall of famer I'm sorry, same as Cronk but Cam Smith is already considered the next King and the amount his does for League off the field surpasses any other in this game.

Don't talk about Gilly like that.... He was the best wicket-keeper batter ever.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the Dragons cheated to win those. They should have been stripped when Frank Facer revealed all the players were registered as living at his house so they could qualify to play for St.George. There was a residency rule then.
LIAR!!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lockyer is an Immortal but I would still go for Mal considering their age difference. Maybe if Mal wasn't coaching he would be one already.

We are careful that's why we have hall of Famers... Slater is a supreme athlete but nothing more than a Hall of famer I'm sorry, same as Cronk but Cam Smith is already considered the next King and the amount his does for League off the field surpasses any other in this game.

Don't talk about Gilly like that.... He was the best wicket-keeper batter ever.
That's exactly my point about Gilly - he changed the way wicketkeepers played from then until now. Have centres changed the way they play on the back of Mal - for mine no. Nor have hookers as a result of Smith, but Slater has redefined what FB's do. That's what is the difference between a HOF'er and an immortal. I wouldn't argue with Smith getting immortal status but for mine I think you have to change the way the game is played to qualify and although Mal and Cam are/were brilliant in their positions they didn't change the game.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone knows Johns was made an immortal as some snap reaction to get nsw some sort of win, how he was made an immortal is laughable , easily one of the best to play the game but Lockyer and Thurston will be remembered as the best and greatest of all time. You can’t beat character

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’ll be Lockyer. Channel 9 can’t get enough of his cock.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Channel 9 dont have the rights anymore its gone back to the original that started it, cant think of his name though .

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Channel 9 dont have the rights anymore its gone back to the original that started it, cant think of his name though .
AFAIK, Channel 9 never owned it. Rugby League Week owned it until it folded last year and he rights were bought by the ARLC.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Smell my finger will get it

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Brad Fittler was so much better than Darren lockyer as a footballer.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's exactly my point about Gilly - he changed the way wicketkeepers played from then until now. Have centres changed the way they play on the back of Mal - for mine no. Nor have hookers as a result of Smith, but Slater has redefined what FB's do. That's what is the difference between a HOF'er and an immortal. I wouldn't argue with Smith getting immortal status but for mine I think you have to change the way the game is played to qualify and although Mal and Cam are/were brilliant in their positions they didn't change the game.
You really think Slater changed the game that much?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brad Fittler was so much better than Darren lockyer as a footballer.
Quiet similar i'd say.. Both were successful generals who could carry teams on their own but the only thing Lockyer was better at in my eyes was the fact he played multiple positions as mastered them. Off the field hands down Fitler walks all over Lockyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.