'That pisses me off': Wally Lewis fires up over lack of NRL club loyalty

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
'That pisses me off': Wally Lewis fires up over lack of NRL club loyalty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/2816c86b-8308-4019-8a60-e65864f53fa7

Immortal Wally Lewis has slammed NRL player managers, saying there is no longer club loyalty as Latrell Mitchell's contract saga drags on.

The 22-year-old Kangaroos and Sydney Roosters star has been linked to arch-rivals South Sydney in recent days, with a decision about his future reportedly to be made this week.

Lewis says the way players are traded between clubs these days "pisses him off".

"I'm not a fan of the way players are being traded now, there's no such thing as club loyalty anymore," he told AAP at the Jack Newton Celebrity Classic.

"That pisses me off."

Wally Lewis (Getty)

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Roosters have told Mitchell's management they want him off the books by January 1, with the Rabbitohs re-emerging as his possible destination for next year.

However, Souths are believed to have agreed to terms with half Cody Walker, and salary cap space would depend on whether they can lure Gold Coast forward Jai Arrow to the club as a replacement for Sam Burgess.

It's understood there is still a deal available for Mitchell at the Wests Tigers worth more than $1 million per season.

(AAP)

With just two weeks to go until the new year, negotiations look set to drag into 2020 and well into the pre-season.

Lewis concedes the possible exit of Queensland star Arrow would be a huge loss to the Titans, but took aim at the player managers who facilitate moves to chase bigger dollars.

"A lot of players said years ago that player managers were the most despised people in the game," he said.

"A contract is not worth the paper it's written on.

"Why not just say 'you give me the money and I'll come there'?

"You don't need a contract saying 'I'll be here for five years' because you know that's not going to be the case.

"It's a farce."

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Loyalty is dead. Players just suit themselves these days with little consideration for their team mates, the position it puts team mates in, or the impact of their decisions.

Player Managers get greedy with power and money, and play clubs like puppets against each other.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can't use loyalty and sport these days.

All about the all mighty dollar or bullshit politics. Use, abuse and discard is how this hell hole you call earth works.

Most sheep don't realise loyalty is a two way street.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only loyalty is that of the NRL with the Roosters and Souths. Close to the HQ

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loyalty is dead. Players just suit themselves these days with little consideration for their team mates, the position it puts team mates in, or the impact of their decisions.

Player Managers get greedy with power and money, and play clubs like puppets against each other.
If the nrl had any back bone they could make it an astute privledge to play in this game, more money but once a contract is sealed and signed you can’t earn more if you go to another club for that ammount you signed for. This would easily stop many players from leaving , just about positive the nrl is corrupt with favours to certain teams I.e Souths with the retirements etc.. so over the bullshit. We always get dudded

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to be dead these meathead players like klem that just do what their managers do are the problem the loyal players tell their managers not to entertain other clubs

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Says the man who played for 5 different Clubs.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the clubs should start showing some loyalty too.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not sure how players can stay loyal in all situations. Clubs move on players because they cant afford them, players leave because clubs cant offer them what they want or are offered elsewhere. The salary cap plays a part too. The roosters should be having issues affording to keep everyone, they won the last 2 comps, and everyone should have been upgraded because of it. They have the sombrero, but still...

I cant actually name a sport these days where the players all stay at the same club for long periods. Its just not how it works. Poor old senile Wally. Like others have said too, how many clubs was Wally "loyal" to when he played?

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Says the man who played for 5 different Clubs.
Completely different. Was asked to leave broncos, asked to help start the Gold Coast franchise . Bsck then they had 2 jobs . Completely different and he is a immortal who was the king

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be loyal hey wally, how loyal was bennet to u when he sacked queenslands so called king ?
U were not loyal, the gold coast paid u a big sum of money to captain coach remember and for 2 years they couldnt get u out of a brisbane pub to even turn up and coach the boys at training.
We all know what happened wally, get back in your box now old fella.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely different. Was asked to leave broncos, asked to help start the Gold Coast franchise . Bsck then they had 2 jobs . Completely different and he is a immortal who was the king
U obviously dont know the finer details. Wally did not have 2 jobs lol..
He made the seagulls pay for a chopper to fly him from brisbane to training.
He wasnt asked to help start gold coast franchise. He was paid the highest sum in league to do so and he barely had a fucking go. Hardly the work of any king in my opinion.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with Wally. Our problems started when we released our star player and didn't get compensation...

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
U obviously dont know the finer details. Wally did not have 2 jobs lol..
He made the seagulls pay for a chopper to fly him from brisbane to training.
He wasnt asked to help start gold coast franchise. He was paid the highest sum in league to do so and he barely had a fucking go. Hardly the work of any king in my opinion.
Dominated nsw, is a legend of the game. And immortal!!! Hail king wally!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wally is just looking for a bit of attention... loyalty went out of the game a long time ago

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd say that for the most part, only fans with a bit of vintage are loyal these days. Younger fans might be loyal to the club, but are often willing to see constantly shuffled rosters if they think it's worth a small improvement in performance.

The last time I got upset about a player moving on was when Steve Price jumped ship. It signalled the end of loyalty to me despite knowing that personal issues were partially to blame for him wanting out of Aus at the time.