Tevita pangai jr to debut for penrith

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until JJ starts playing at a level that puts him at about our 4th or 5th best middle forward in terms of whole of game performance, he has to be in the team, he has earned it, and we don't have another player at the moment that does the vital stuff he does as well as he does it.

But he isn't the link man needed for that type of system, at least not to the quality of Yeo or Radley. Jimmy G was a good link man from prop, but I don't see Thommo or TPG being that good. When we want to do an expansive play we need a few different options. I wonder if Cook might provide some answers there, he is an unknown for me, but has some pretty big talk around him.

Alternatively with guys like Thommo and TPG (and Vaughan) charging down the middle, we should start getting some more offloads. With some genuine speed and evasion in Burton, Dufty, Naden, Hetho, and of course JAC, maybe we should be focusing on winning quick PTB is looking for gaps/2nd phase play in the middle third. Keep the expansive plays/backline spreads as a variation.
Yep there is nothing saying you have to play that way. Melbourne and Parra don’t

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
TPJ is certainly not up there with the Melbourne back rowers, but he has a reasonable MT to tackle rate of just under 10%. When you consider that 5 of the players with a worse rate than him have started a lot of games for chooks and penriff this season, it becomes apparent that this isn't giving the whole picture. The blokes who played a lot of time on our edges have a better rate, but we were the worst defensive team.

Some comparisons:

Bird: 16.7%
Tupouniua: 14%
Liam Martin: 13.1%
Capewell: 11.3%
Whitehead: 11.1%
Glenn: 10.8%
Crichton: 10.7%
Kikau: 10.4%
TPG: 9.9%
Barnett: 9.8%
Elliott: 8.8%
Fifita: 7.7%
Sims: 7.7%
Waddell 7.1%
Lane: 6.9%
Frizzel: 6.3%

Bromwich: 4.9%
Kaufusi: 4.2%

Having said all that, I want TPJ in the middle, no question. Starting preferably, next to Thommo. I'd also have him do plenty of training sessions on an edge as well, because injuries.
Can you please separate the MT to tackle ratio into the following buckets:
- Tackles 1-3
- tackles 3+

can you also please get the data on PCM absorbed in defence? And metres gained through dominant tackles?

I also need how many steps he takes p/m.

with the above info, we will be on our way to determining his effectivess as an edge player. We definitely need to look further into more but the above is a start.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Until JJ starts playing at a level that puts him at about our 4th or 5th best middle forward in terms of whole of game performance, he has to be in the team, he has earned it, and we don't have another player at the moment that does the vital stuff he does as well as he does it.

But he isn't the link man needed for that type of system, at least not to the quality of Yeo or Radley. Jimmy G was a good link man from prop, but I don't see Thommo or TPG being that good. When we want to do an expansive play we need a few different options. I wonder if Cook might provide some answers there, he is an unknown for me, but has some pretty big talk around him.

Alternatively with guys like Thommo and TPG (and Vaughan) charging down the middle, we should start getting some more offloads. With some genuine speed and evasion in Burton, Dufty, Naden, Hetho, and of course JAC, maybe we should be focusing on winning quick PTB is looking for gaps/2nd phase play in the middle third. Keep the expansive plays/backline spreads as a variation.
100% agree. With the speed we've recruited along with two predominantly running halves in Burton and Averillo, we should be playing a power game thru the middle with quick ptb and offloads. Having players like Dufty, Burton, Averillo and JAC supporting thru the middle will cause plenty of open play if the forwards can gain the ascendancy thru the middle.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you see Jacko play on an edge in 2020 ?

Blokes were running around him with ease. Too slow for an edge these days
I will pose a different question ?
Why do we need to have forwards playing on an edge.
They generally just get in the road tbh. There
Is only ever 5 forwards (don’t count the Hooker) on the field at one time, 4 hits up through the middle with second phase play and then get the fuck out of the way and let the backs do their thing. There are very few edge forwards in the competition that generally have the pace or line breaking ability to trouble defence out wide. Kikau, Fafita, Schuster are a couple that spring to mind.

Last edited:

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Starting in the mid today, lets hope
Gus tweets about his huge game today playing in the mid and that baz watches his new recruits well to suit their best positions.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did he only play 12 minutes?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Without him taking on the storm pack Penrith dont get on top,such a great signing