News Tevita Pangai Jr reveals Bulldogs GM Phil Gould's hilarious boxing request before pro fight

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this subject I guess separates the pessimists the optimists and the realists.

Optimists : Great for fitness, will be more feared by opposition packs...
Pessimists: What if he gets injured, or knocked out. stupid decision by dogs to allow it.
Realists: Can see the benefits to training and hope he does well and continues to train well when he returns to footy training, with no injuries or complications from the fight hampering him. but will be nervous until after the fight.

I see I fit in with the Realists, you know where you all fit, but will you admit it?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Do we allow every squad member to fight or go overseas in off season and play rugby to keep fitness up?

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do we allow every squad member to fight or go overseas in off season and play rugby to keep fitness up?
I wish Flanagan was in the ring in the pre season... Either it might knock some sense into him, or toughen him up...

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There were some better quotes from him in the SMH article on the same topic

“I can’t wait to work with Trent [Barrett] and Gus and a guy like Josh Jackson. The club have gone through some lean years, but watching Josh Jackson, he just gives his all. It can be hard to do [when you are always losing], but he sets such high standards for himself.

“I know Matty Burton and Brent Naden, I’ve played with Matt Dufty, and I grew up with Nick Cotric in the junior grades at Canberra. I’ve already been telling him how I’m going to keep working hard and running off his quick play-the-balls.”

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
With all the talk over HIA protocols....that we must protect a player should he suffer a contact injury to his head either in training or a game situation, how the hell, can we as a sport, condone boxing or mma as a pastime for our players?
I know boxing and rugby league go way back, and I like both sports, but seriously, if Drs and sports scientists were fair dinkum they'd outlaw boxing. For the object of a sport to be to punch your opponent in the head with such force that he falls to the ground what place is their in modern rugby league is there for boxing?

By all means pursue boxing post your nrl career but not during. Otherwise we are hypocritical for saying anything when a player suffers an accidental head contact in training for or playing rugby league.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
For those that don't know, boxing training would have to be the most gruelling form of training there is, especially for stamina.

I used to train at Cabra PCYC while playing footy.
yeh it is the fittest sport , i was coached by Steve Goshn, the former wests first grade coach. He was boxing state champion, he used to flog us lol.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
yeh it is the fittest sport , i was coached by Steve Goshn, the former wests first grade coach. He was boxing state champion, he used to flog us lol.
I'm no superman but I was 124kg with 17% body fat playing prop for 60 mins a game. I have to thank boxing for being able to do that.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm no superman but I was 124kg with 17% body fat playing prop for 60 mins a game. I have to thank boxing for being able to do that.
your arms felt like lead after we finished, dont know which was worse holding the pads up or punching.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
your arms felt like lead after we finished, dont know which was worse holding the pads up or punching.
I had heaps of Islander boys in my PCYC so both are as bad as eachother lol

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I had heaps of Islander boys in my PCYC so both are as bad as eachother lol
Goshn was my coach for Wenty Metro Cup, he flogged us that year, but we made the GF, got beat by Newtown at Parra Stadium that year. Newton had a great team, former first graders Barry Russell, Shane Kelly, Fred Teasdale, Daryl Neville and first graders to be Ian Rubin and Tim Blazczak. We had heaps also, it was reserve grade standard back then.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For those that don't know, boxing training would have to be the most gruelling form of training there is, especially for stamina.

I used to train at Cabra PCYC while playing footy.
hey Assassin was Steve you trainer?
Did you know Grant? He’s my best mate. Was pretty handy from Cabbra pcyc

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
hey Assassin was Steve you trainer?
Did you know Grant? He’s my best mate. Was pretty handy from Cabbra pcyc
I'm rubbish with names my bro but I would of been there roughly between 97-99.

I wonder if the old joint is still standing...

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm rubbish with names my bro but I would of been there roughly between 97-99.

I wonder if the old joint is still standing...
no I get you with names. The mind of mine not as good as it-once was. You possibly wouldknew big grant around back 97 he might still been there. The big fella could throw them lol.
it was a great spot for you fellas to be toughened up and by Christ made you fit. I was there 86- 90. Was only doing for training but. As no good at the real game lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Boxing is dead, YouTube sport lol.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Goshn was my coach for Wenty Metro Cup, he flogged us that year, but we made the GF, got beat by Newtown at Parra Stadium that year. Newton had a great team, former first graders Barry Russell, Shane Kelly, Fred Teasdale, Daryl Neville and first graders to be Ian Rubin and Tim Blazczak. We had heaps also, it was reserve grade standard back then.
You wouldn't happen to be coaching Rabbitohs NSW Cup would you?