News Tevita Pangai Jr reveals Bulldogs GM Phil Gould's hilarious boxing request before pro fight

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tevita Pangai Jr reveals Bulldogs GM Phil Gould's hilarious boxing request before pro fight

Bulldogs recruit Tevita Pangai Junior has revealed how club GM Phil Gould jokingly challenged him to a boxing match before allowing him to take part in his first pro fight.

Pangai Jr will step in the ring on December 4 in the Tasman Fighters' card against Daniel Joyce at Brisbane's Fortitude Music Hall and was given Gould's blessing with a catch.

"Gus said if I wanted to take the fight, I'd have to fight him first," Pangai Jr said of Gould's request.

"Lucky the borders are shut and I'll have to fight him after December 4 when I jump in the ring.

"I was training up here [in Brisbane] when I realised I had three missed calls from Gus.

When I phoned him I asked him about boxing. He was fine, just as long as I could beat him first.

"Luckily for me, the borders are still closed. Gus just told me to keep my left hand busy. He's obviously done some sort of boxing in the past."

While he is the latest NRL player to set foot in the ring, Pangai Jr says he will not become a full-time boxer like Paul Gallen and Anthony Mundine, calling boxing "just a good way to stay in shape".

After his 2021 season was prematurely brought to an end by a knee injury just prior to Penrith's grand final, Pangai Jr is primed to be fit for the start of the Bulldogs' pre-season campaign having only resumed boxing after completing his knee rehabilitation work.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its all fun and games until he picks up a season ending injury......
I was so thinking the same thing... Lets just pray that knee holds up and he knocks the ***** out in 10secs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He could also get injured at training or playing basketball with his mates etc. I'd prefer he didn't box but if he wants to and the club is fine with it then I don't see the problem. Gallen, $BW, Carl Webb and others all fought during their careers in the offseason.

Like I've said before these so called "professional" fights are usually pretty tame and the opponents they pick are generally pretty crappy boxers who know to either take a dive, not go too hard or are only there for a pay day.. It's not like he's going up against Tyson Fury.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This gels so well with the nrls concussion crackdows!

Don't get me wrong I love watching a good fight, but stuff like this shows how much a farce that big crackdown was last year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This gels so well with the nrls concussion crackdows!

Don't get me wrong I love watching a good fight, but stuff like this shows how much a farce that big crackdown was last year.
It was a farce and it magically went away during the finals as expected but this is between the club and the player. The NRL can't stop them from fighting.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a farce and it magically went away during the finals as expected but this is between the club and the player. The NRL can't stop them from fighting.
Fair enough, wasn't aware of that.

I hope he goes out there and has a good time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
great fitness for him, toughest training there is
It's a much better offseason workout than Elliott deep dicking his best mates wife.

It's awesome to have guys like Vaughan, Thompson, Fox, TPJ etc that take training seriously, are in great shape and are great athletes.. Compare that to years of Crapa, Sharon, Dorothy, Kas, Eastwood etc who couldn't give a fuck about their bodies, training or conditioning.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's a much better offseason workout than Elliott deep dicking his best mates wife.

It's awesome to have guys like Vaughan, Thompson, Fox, TPJ etc that take training seriously, are in great shape and are great athletes.. Compare that to years of Crapa, Sharon, Dorothy, Kas, Eastwood etc who couldn't give a fuck about their bodies, training or conditioning.
yes the standard has been set high which is great, all good signs moving forward.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Say he gets knocked the fuck out and falls and does his ACL....do we get cap relief or na because it happened outside of footy?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Say he gets knocked the fuck out and falls and does his ACL....do we get cap relief or na because it happened outside of footy?
your a smelly cheese arent you

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This should be steady as she goes until he smahes the **** up like Assassin said at around 2 minutes 30 into the 3rd round, p.s are they 3 min rounds? lol anyway late in the third it be lights out bitch opponent whose name i do not know atm.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tevita Pangai Jr reveals Bulldogs GM Phil Gould's hilarious boxing request before pro fight

Bulldogs recruit Tevita Pangai Junior has revealed how club GM Phil Gould jokingly challenged him to a boxing match before allowing him to take part in his first pro fight.

Pangai Jr will step in the ring on December 4 in the Tasman Fighters' card against Daniel Joyce at Brisbane's Fortitude Music Hall and was given Gould's blessing with a catch.

"Gus said if I wanted to take the fight, I'd have to fight him first," Pangai Jr said of Gould's request.

"Lucky the borders are shut and I'll have to fight him after December 4 when I jump in the ring.

"I was training up here [in Brisbane] when I realised I had three missed calls from Gus.

When I phoned him I asked him about boxing. He was fine, just as long as I could beat him first.

"Luckily for me, the borders are still closed. Gus just told me to keep my left hand busy. He's obviously done some sort of boxing in the past."

While he is the latest NRL player to set foot in the ring, Pangai Jr says he will not become a full-time boxer like Paul Gallen and Anthony Mundine, calling boxing "just a good way to stay in shape".

After his 2021 season was prematurely brought to an end by a knee injury just prior to Penrith's grand final, Pangai Jr is primed to be fit for the start of the Bulldogs' pre-season campaign having only resumed boxing after completing his knee rehabilitation work.
Now that's funny putting this way but can't stop me being concerned by the whole thing.
If he gets injured we won't be laughing
If he wins we will have the possibility of repeatedly facing the same anguish
If he looses he probably has to face the loss of confidence syndrome
Too many ifs for my liking :grimacing:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s keeping super fit and will be fighting a bum. It’s a non issue in my book he could get injured doing anything. You can’t keep players wrapped in cotton wool. The chances of him getting an injury that causes him to miss games or even trials are so small it’s not worth worrying about. There’s plenty more positives about it than negatives.