Terry Lamb interview - 1170sen

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeh, I used to think like that as well growing up. But I put by bias aside regarding Mortimer and Lamb. I had to get over the individual brilliance of Mortimer and really look at it from an unbiased position. The way Lamb carried the team after our stars(Langmack,Farrar, Gallespie, Thomas, Alchin etc) left for Wests in the early 90's was phenomenal. The young Bulldogs from 91 onwards was a team built on the foundations of the great Baa. A new era was built on Baa and Baa alone. He made everyone around him play better and elevated their game to another level, but not by words but by his action on the field. This led to our minor premierships in 93,94 and to our GF win in 95. There will never be a semi final series like 95, we are still the only club to win the comp from 6th spot, no way we do that without Baa. He was the chief architect and corner stone of the team. Not only can he play 6 but he also knew how to play 7(yes there was a difference in those days). He was the complete footballer..kicked goals, scored tries, created tries, Led from the front, first line of defence was very sound not just a cover defender like Mortimer.

Greatest Bulldog is hands down Folkes. Folkes is Canterbury and Canterbury is Folkes. Served 40+ years from the Bulldog juniors all the way through as a player, trainer, conditioner, Coach...you name it. And collected premierships along the way when he was a player, trainer, conditioner and as coach. A statue should be put at Belmore for this great man. He gave his whole life for the blue and white and with success. Folkes epitomizes what a Canterbury person is especially during the salary cap drama and the Coffs harbour thing.
And we spat Folkes out after one bad year, deadset makes me angry asf

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And we spat Folkes out after one bad year, deadset makes me angry asf
Yeah, towards the end of his tenure the players he coached brought him down. Guys like Mason and SBW thought they were bigger than the club and started disrespecting him.
I really can't think of any other Bulldog who gave his entire life to the dogs other than Folkesy (may he rest in peace), in many different roles for such a long time even way before I was born. He represented the hard worker, tough as nails, backs to the wall culture we had at the dogs. There will never be another Steve Folkes.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ok we get baa is a legend buf what did he say?
1. Thinks we can make the 8.
2.Flanagan needs to be the boss on the field.
3.Loved Tommy radonikus then when he went to dogs in 84 Turvey was his favourite player.
4. When asked about his support play, he said he learnt what his centres where always trying to get on the outside of the defender so he made sure he was always on the inside in support, wasn't trained , just learned his teams strengths and always tried to be there.
5. Communication, if you can communicate the field, on the field becomes easy, mentioned how he said to turvey to give him early ball.
6. We need to win games to bring members back.
Might have missed some things that he said, I did get the impression that Flanagans roll is to purely organise and kick well, being the boss getting us to points on the field. He did say we will be throwing the ball around alot and we've done alot of work on defence to support the attacking style that we are going to play.