Teenager certain to come into contention as Bulldogs search for replacements for Brett, Josh Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CANTERBURY have been busy locking up replacements for the departing Morris twins but it’s a teenage flyer coming through the ranks at Belmore that fans should be dreaming on.

The club have signed Penrith’s Christian Crichton and Newcastle’s Nick Meaney for 2019 in preparation for life without the Morris’.

But Josh Morris told News Corp Australia that a relative unknown could be the one to light up the Bulldogs’ backline next year.

“Morgan Harper has been playing a bit of Intrust Super Premiership,” he said.

Morgan Harper is earning rave reviews at Belmore.
“He’s one that the club has an eye on.

“It will be interesting to see what this young roster can do with a good pre-season under their belt going into next year. Anything is possible.

“There will be plenty of spots up for grabs.

“He’ll have to work hard and there’s no reason why he can’t get his foot in the door for round one.”

In 2017, Harper moved from New Zealand to pursue his dream of playing NRL football.

He played in the Bulldog’s NYC team last year before graduating into the Intrust Super Premiership side in 2018, where he’s played 11 games.

Centre Kerrod Holland also endorsed the young speedster, praising his commitment and work ethic.

The Morris twins are moving on next season. Picture: AAP.
“We have a young kid, Morgan Harper, I think he might still be eligible for under 20s and he’s been playing NSW Cup for us, too.

“He’s coming through and will do a full pre-season with us. He’s definitely one to look out for,” he said.

“He’s about the same size as me, he’s a super defender and he’s got some skill with the ball too.

“Obviously he’s still got some things to work on but he’ll benefit from training with us full-time in the pre-season.”

Hailing from Hamilton, Harper, first caught the eye of Bulldogs scouts as a 15-year old and was brought into their high performance unit back in New Zealand.

Harper’s ability is backed by an impressive pedigree. He has both rugby league and rugby union coursing through his veins.

His great grandfathers, George Loveridge and Joe Menzies, played for the All Blacks and the New Zealand Kiwis.

Reimis Smith has created quite an impression at Belmore: Picture: Getty.
He made the move to Sydney, leaving behind his baby twins, in the hope of creating a better life for his young family.

The goalkicking outside back will be moved onto a development contract in 2019 and it is expected he’ll be promoted into a top 30 contract the year after that.

Holland says the competition for positions in Dean Pay’s backline heading into next year will be stiff.

But he is banking on the relationship currently being built with his winger Reimis Smith to secure their spots next season.

“We want to keep that combination. Reimis is a great player and he’s one of the players the club is looking at for the future here. If I can get a good combination going that will be good for us moving forward,” he said.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Looked pretty elusive in recent weeks, nice footwork and agility. Hopefully he stays fit and gets a full pre season in him to prepare for next season.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched this guy play a few weeks ago on a Saturday at Belmore v warriors, he was always popping up onscreen doing good things...i liked the look of him

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very good prospect
Agile and light on his feet
Got a few errors in him and Offcourse the step up in defence.
Exciting times ahead

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if he's injured again, but he's missing from all teams this week. He has had a few injuries in the past.

Defence is pretty good, but can miss the odd tackle.

Moves well across field, and has some toe but wouldn't call him a flyer by any stretch of the imagination. Carr is quicker, as is Bergamin, but Harper has massive strides and a big fend.

He is almost (or may even be) 20 now*. If we are going to give him a run, it has to be next season else we will risk losing him.

But he is a very good talent, a big body who can break a line and has excellent leg drive.

*Citation: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...trading-ngaruawahia-for-sydneys-bright-lights
Written Oct 12 2016
A two-year contract with the Canterbury Bulldogs has Harper, who turned 18 just a couple of months back, trading the stodgy surrounds of Ngaruawahia for the bright lights of Sydney. It's a move which the teenage talent hopes can take him to first-grade and a career in the game, but one which comes with a major drawback for the young father.

Harper will cross the Tasman later this month and leave behind nine-month-old twin boys, Leo and Ryder, with the aim of getting on his feet, saving some coin, and getting in a position to provide for them so they can make the move to join him in a couple of years or so.

Harper made Waikato age-group league teams along the way, as well as the New Zealand Residents under-16s, then under-18s.

His preference is in the halves or at fullback, though in Waikato's unbeaten rep season this year he made a fine impression on the wing, with the baby of the team scoring five tries in the six games, with his speed a key weapon. But it's been his tackling which has been Harper's key work-on of late, and putting on 6kg since the start of the year, to now stand at 87kg, has helped his cause.

With Harper having been a Dragons fan growing up, and having Mark Gasnier as his favourite player, that of course has now all changed, thanks to his signing with the Dogs.

That came about through being spotted by player agent Daniel O'Loughlin during a national under-17 Maori tournament a few years back.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good on the kid.. but he wont be scoring any tries unless we address our spine namely halfback and hooker

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Very good prospect
Agile and light on his feet
Got a few errors in him and Offcourse the step up in defence.
Exciting times ahead
I was impressed with his decision making when he stepped into NSW cup. Better than expected.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Immediately caught my eye in his debut match for ISP

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he's a goal kicker as well. Great to see these stories where a player is picked up young and develops with us.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Author writes in the article that “in 2019 he will be moved onto a development contract”. Can you be eligible for 1st grade on development contracts? I thought not..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Author writes in the article that “in 2019 he will be moved onto a development contract”. Can you be eligible for 1st grade on development contracts? I thought not..
The morons at the NRL are talking of changing this absurd top 30 system and showing more leniency when teams want to debut young players. Hopefully that all gets addressed in the off-season.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m up for it, try yes out bergamin to maybe to replace holland?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Sorry but no one can fills the shoes to the same extent that Josh has - and Brett at times.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any kid at 17 that fathers twins has to be very toey IMO.
Obviously very versatile, but then again I've always thought that versatility was a mark of class. As an old fashioned bloke I just hope he soon brings his twins and wife (hopefully) or partner with him, perhaps the club could help.

Reactions: DT

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but no one can fills the shoes to the same extent that Josh has - and Brett at times.
They’re leaving next year though, so we have to hope a few of the young ones come good and fill those shoes the best they can.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They’re leaving next year though, so we have to hope a few of the young ones come good and fill those shoes the best they can.
I hope so but I'm not confident.

As a side note, what's with your name? DragonKnight???

Malla

Reaction score
The thing I never understood was why Reimis Smith never got a crack after his debut in Canberra in 2016. Opted for Montoya's bucket ass instead, but anyway, glad that juniors and young guys are getting a crack now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.