Technology boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
just talking about phones in another thread and it's inspired me to start a new topic.
The technological boom which has taken place in the last 15 years is crazy.

I remember being at school in 1999 and the biggest deal were Nokia phones.
The 5110,the 3210? And there was one that had infrared technology which had capabilities that preceded blue tooth where you could link phones with other phones that had infrared.
That was the 61 or 6210?

How far has technology come forward in the last 15-20 years is crazy.
The most we wanted at school was a mobile phone capable of reading MP3 files so we could use our favourite song as a ringtone.

But now we have gone way passed that simple wish haven't we? Lol

Is the advancement of technology great? Or is it moving too fast and getting out of hand?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There's a thing called "Moore's Law" that sits behind a lot of this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

I remember buying my first USB flash drive in 2003. It was 128mb, cost USD80 (I bought it in the US Virgin Islands and so it was tax free), and I thought it was the most awesome thing ever. Nowadays a 64gb one is smaller and costs about 20 bucks.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
There's a thing called "Moore's Law" that sits behind a lot of this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

I remember buying my first USB flash drive in 2003. It was 128mb, cost USD80 (I bought it in the US Virgin Islands and so it was tax free), and I thought it was the most awesome thing ever. Nowadays a 64gb one is smaller and costs about 20 bucks.
It's madness isn't it? And don't you just lol@ your friends who still buy c.ds and blurays?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's madness isn't it? And don't you just lol@ your friends who still buy c.ds and blurays?
I still buy CDs occasionally, (I never got into having music on my phone / spotify etc). but don't browse at JB like I used to.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I still buy CDs occasionally, (I never got into having music on my phone / spotify etc). but don't browse at JB like I used to.
I still have old cds I listen to from back in the day. I think the last c.d I bought was 9 years ago?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Who remembers when taping tv shows to VHS was the thing to do?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I still buy them. Not CD's, but Blu Ray DVDs I do because the quality and features can't be beaten. For music, I simply go to YouTube and play whatever song I feel like listening to.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Moore Law is no longer relevant I believe due to advancements in technology and processor speeds starting to top out now.

I think it's funny how we have gone from:
Large brick mobile phone
to
smallest possible phone
and now back to
largest screened phone possible.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I still buy them. Not CD's, but Blu Ray DVDs I do because the quality and features can't be beaten. For music, I simply go to YouTube and play whatever song I feel like listening to.
I still buy Blurays. Usually 'cause the movies I want to watch aren't available on the streaming services and the quality is better than most other methods.

I don't buy DVD's any more. I picked up Grey's Anatomy DVD boxset second hand 'cause she loves that show. She started watching it and I was horrified by the quality. Standard definition is rubbish.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Moore Law is no longer relevant I believe due to advancements in technology and processor speeds starting to top out now.

Large brick mobile phone
to
smallest possible phone
and now back to
True - and it was not really a "law" as such, just more of an observation on this one thing that was used to explain the rapid pace of technological advancement.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I still buy Blurays. Usually 'cause the movies I want to watch aren't available on the streaming services and the quality is better than most other methods.

I don't buy DVD's any more. I picked up Grey's Anatomy DVD boxset second hand 'cause she loves that show. She started watching it and I was horrified by the quality. Standard definition is rubbish.
Have you compared the quality of NRL on channel 9 to 90? WOW!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ummmmm we were supposed to have flying cars by now... wtf is going on

Wahesh

Reaction score
Ummmmm we were supposed to have flying cars by now... wtf is going on
Which reality are you living in? Haven't you seen i, Robot? That movie is set in 2035 and there are NO flying cars in that movie.

You're being fed a bunch of lies.

WATCH
i, Robot FOR FUCK SAKE!!!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
wait till the AI takes over every thing from driving your car to becoming your sex slave.

you aint see nothing yet.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
wait till the AI takes over every thing from driving your car to becoming your sex slave.

you aint see nothing yet.
The current season of Silicon Valley just had an episode involving a sicko with a robot doll, and AI taking over the world.

Wahesh

Reaction score

Large brick mobile phone
to
smallest possible phone
and now back to
THANK YOU.

Finally!!! SOMEONE ELSE see's the logic of Apple's promotions as dodgy.

2007: The brand new iPhone. Revolutionises the world and the telecommunication device of the future. It can do everything.

2010: The brand new iPad. Just like an iPhone, only with a bigger screen.

2012: The brand new iPad mini. Just like the iPad, only with a smaller screen.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND FFS!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Or both at once?
Theres an entire documentary about a guy who fucks his VW Beetle.

and during the documentary they are at a motel and the guy sneaks out and fucks the producers car (they find jizz near it the next morning and he admits it).

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still can’t eveb comprehend how I can hear someone’s voice through a phone. It’s not like there’s a string connected. Technology is magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.