Official Team List Round 20 v Knights + Match Discussion

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score
The most significant thing from the Bulldogs perspective is what Mick Potter has done since taking over. There was nothing in his past as a coach that would have suggested he could achieve so much with this team.

Maybe he’s reached a point in his coaching career where he’s just relaxed and confident in what he is doing. He has to be in the frame for the head coaching gig. He has really connected with this group of players, and the players with him. How do you not give him the head coach gig?

JMK has been the Dogs best and most consistent player all year. I’m not sure if the current version of Reed Mahoney is an upgrade or a downgrade on the current version of JMK.

Cheers,
RW.

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score
The Dogs were really good in the first half, but not so good in the second half.

The Knights were never going to win with so many players out: Ponga, Lee, Best, Hunt, Fitzgibbon, Mann, Randall, Thompson and back-up
forwards Sue and Momoisea.

But there has to be more of a next man up mentality. They have to least get the effort areas right. The first ten minutes was rubbish and didn’t get any better until the second half. But even then, they were poor.

Sometimes, the coach is the problem. How O’Brian is still the coach is beyond me.

And The Milf is no better than he was at the Broncos. I’m sure the Knights will be happy to see him go to the Dolphins next year.

I’m sure they will rest Ponga for the rest of the year. There should be an interim coach by the end of today and a new coach next year. Ponga has missed a lot of games already this year, but he’s too important to the Knights to risk his long-term future.

He’s their key player, but they have to learn to play without him too.

Time to give some of the young guys a go, but a number of those next in line are also out injured. Like a lot of people, I’ve been looking forward to seeing Bailey Hodgson have a run at full-back in first grade, but injuries have killed his season.

I’d like to see Chris Vea’ila and Dylan Lucas have a run in place of Gagai and Tuala, but I don’t know when they are back from injury. And I’d like to see Mac Baker have a run at fullback too. And give Sasagi a go in his actual position at 5/8.

If Adam O’Brian is still the coach by the end of the day, Knights fans heads will explode.

Cheers,
RW.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Wondering about the suggestion of Fox running to complete the try and then the ref ruling on calling it back for a penalty.

Can Fox pretend he didnt hear, score and then we useCapt Challenge :grinning:
This already happened to us this year. The ref ruled too much time had passed to make a challenge

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
That's likely but how long can we rely on RFM staying fit? I personally think he's a better middle anyway and we might need to balance the pack with a more workman like backrower. At least we have some options.
Davey :hearteyes: :tearsofjoy:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The more I watch Flanagan the more i think he is better suited (not necessarily great) to play 9. He defends well, puts the effort in and passes well - yesterday he seemed to be prepared to run more but went no where. I think he knows from experience that he gets smashed when he runs the ball - so he avoids it. At one point yesterday he had space but side stepped the space and an into a Knights player.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The most significant thing from the Bulldogs perspective is what Mick Potter has done since taking over. There was nothing in his past as a coach that would have suggested he could achieve so much with this team.
Cheers,
RW
I think you have it backwards, for example his winning record at St Helens was 76% and whilst at Catalans in 2008 he was named Super League coach of the year, they are pretty good indications that he can coach. It was the Tigers that killed his reputation, like they have with many other coaches.

Always a Bulldog

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score
Plus Foxy getting pulled up instead of playing on.

36-0
You have obviously never refereed a game of RL.

If you had a clue what you were talking about, you would know that the ref saw the obstruction infringement,
knew he had to blow a penalty and put the whistle his mouth and blew it, like he’s supposed to.
All that happened before the Fox made a break. The ref doesn’t have the luxury of seeing what happens
after the event like armchair experts like you do.

And if you understood the game, you would know that you can’t judge a forward pass from a two-dimensional screen
while relaxing on your couch or in your armchair. The ref but mostly the touch judges are the only ones who have any hope
of judging if a pass is forward or not and seeing the natural forward momentum of the ball from the guy who passed it.

I’d love to give you a whistle and sit back and watch you make a goose of yourself.

And I have noticed that you are one of the more ignorant posters on this site with very little understanding of the game
and particularly how it’s reffed.

Your constant whinging about “We was robbed, that wasn’t forward, that was forward,” etc etc is just
tiresome and ridiculous.

You always blame the ref when the Bulldogs lose.
You’re like a petulant, ignorant 10-year-old. You’re supposed to be a grown man.

The nonsense you go on with about the refs being biased against the Bulldogs is just so frigging childish
and ridiculous. It may surprise you, but the refs and touch judges couldn’t care less if the Bulldogs win or lose.
They’re only concern is doing the best job they can.

They have to go through and review their game, minute by minute, after the game and make notes as they go, and then
sit through a review with the refs coaching and admin staff, again, minute by minute, reviewing every decision they made,
having to justify every decision they made and having the notes they took from their initial review of the game scrutinised.
You haven’t got a clue.

But the worst part is the snidely crude names you childishly give to refs and in some cases their wives. That is just obnoxious.

It’s one thing to be a passionate supporter of your team, it’s another thing completely to carry on the way you do.

I can see you at a school-boys game in the crowd of people surrounding the refs change shed, because your under 13’s team lost.
It’s pathetic, it really is.

Cheers,
RW.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

If you had a clue what you were talking about, you would know that the ref saw the obstruction infringement,
knew he had to blow a penalty and put the whistle his mouth and blew it, like he’s supposed to.
All that happened before the Fox made a break. The ref doesn’t have the luxury of seeing what happens

And if you understood the game, you would know that you can’t judge a forward pass from a two-dimensional screen
while relaxing on your couch or in your armchair. The ref but mostly the touch judges are the only ones who have any hope
of judging if a pass is forward or not and seeing the natural forward momentum of the ball from the guy who passed it.

I’d love to give you a whistle and sit back and watch you make a goose of yourself.

And I have noticed that you are one of the more ignorant posters on this site with very little understanding of the game

Your constant whinging about “We was robbed, that wasn’t forward, that was forward,” etc etc is just
tiresome and ridiculous.

You’re like a petulant, ignorant 10-year-old. You’re supposed to be a grown man.

The nonsense you go on with about the refs being biased against the Bulldogs is just so frigging childish
and ridiculous. It may surprise you, but the refs and touch judges couldn’t care less if the Bulldogs win or lose.

They have to go through and review their game, minute by minute, after the game and make notes as they go, and then
sit through a review with the refs coaching and admin staff, again, minute by minute, reviewing every decision they made,
having to justify every decision they made and having the notes they took from their initial review of the game scrutinised.
You haven’t got a clue.

But the worst part is the snidely crude names you childishly give to refs and in some cases their wives. That is just obnoxious.

It’s one thing to be a passionate supporter of your team, it’s another thing completely to carry on the way you do.

I can see you at a school-boys game in the crowd of people surrounding the refs change shed, because your under 13’s team lost.

Cheers,
RW.
No wonder officiating is pathetic with this sort of mindset :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone notice Potter signal what looked like the Knights coaching box "what's that under your eye" with a cheeky grin? Bloke is head coach all day.. Tigers ruined the bloke..
Hopefully it was aimed at that b1tch Klemmer

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

tiresome and ridiculous.

You haven’t got a clue.

Cheers,
RW.
So many words, even more bullshit, but saying nothing.

Yep, you obviously were a ref because you have NFI. Blaming our loses on the refs? Insulting wives? You're delusional and shit talking.

Crapping words out like you do doesn't make you smart. Just confirms your a moron.

PS I can't and don't want to be a ref, I'm too intelligent, not corrupt enough and I have eyes. Only bullied scumbags that haven't got the balls to play league and want a bit of "power" are refs.

Last edited:

trent_solotar7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

tiresome and ridiculous.

You haven’t got a clue.

Cheers,
RW.
who let chris butler have an account?

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score

tiresome and ridiculous.

You haven’t got a clue.

Cheers,
RW.
The dogs have been on the refs shit list since Darren Alchin busted his shoulder very badly after dodging a bottle at the end of the Souths game in 2014. Sutton was the ref.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

tiresome and ridiculous.

You haven’t got a clue.

Cheers,
RW.
Has to be one of many accounts this one.

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think you have it backwards, for example his winning record at St Helens was 76% and whilst at Catalans in 2008 he was named Super League coach of the year, they are pretty good indications that he can coach. It was the Tigers that killed his reputation, like they have with many other coaches.

Always a Bulldog
I don’t agree.

I don’t give any credence to what anyone does as a coach in the Super League. The standard is so much lower, it doesn’t mean anything. As successful coaches in the Super League like Nathan Brown and Justin Holbrook and others have shown.

You should ignore any part of a coaches resumé that refers to The SL.

Hull KR have signed Willie Peters, the Knights ATTACK coach, as their head coach for next year. That should tell you everything you need to know about coaches in the Super League.

Cheers,
RW.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

tiresome and ridiculous.

You haven’t got a clue.

Cheers,
RW.
Leaving on field refs out of it - having to make on the spot decisions and so many moving parts it would be difficult and mistakes would be made - what i cannot understand about nrl officiating are some bunker and mrc decisions - slow motion replays, multiple angles and still lots of mistakes and inconsistencies. Nelson AS - no charge?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t agree.

I don’t give any credence to what anyone does as a coach in the Super League. The standard is so much lower, it doesn’t mean anything. As successful coaches in the Super League like Nathan Brown and Justin Holbrook and others have shown.

You should ignore any part of a coaches resumé that refers to The SL.

Hull KR have signed Willie Peters, the Knights ATTACK coach, as their head coach for next year. That should tell you everything you need to know about coaches in the Super League.

Cheers,
RW.
WTF, are you seriously placing less credence in what a coach achieved with multiple teams in the ESL compared to what they have or rather haven't achieved at the Tigers, the place where coaching careers go to die.

There are just as many successful coaches from ESL that have had success in the NRL, Chris Anderson, Trent Robinson, etc. Of course it's not the be all and end all as to who will make a good NRL head coach but then neither is being a successful assistant coach in the NRL, as has been proven many times.

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have some problems with the game in its current form. Quite a few.

The six again hasn't worked as intended.
And fiddling around with it this year hasn't worked either.

The biggest problem is that we hardly ever know what the six again is for and who infringed. With a penalty, the ref has time to call out what the penalty was for and who infringed and usually points to the player as well. I think we have to go back to just blowing a penalty instead of a six again. Things went ok doing that for a long time.

I like the captain's challenge, just as I like the batsman's challenge in cricket. Although it is poorly used a lot in RL and teams are exploiting it as they always do. A few changes in how it's enforced and I'd keep it.

Bunker? Where to start...
Firstly, I have no time for idiots who abuse refs. It’s not uncommon in schoolboy games for the police to have to be called to escort a 17-year-old ref from the ground because parents and supporters of the losing side have surrounded the refs change sheds. And we are talking about games that are in age groups at under 16’s level or younger. It’s a frigging disgrace.

At NRL level, there are too many idiots who bag refs and always blame them for their team’s loss. I’d love to give those idiots a whistle and sit back and watch them make fools of themselves.

These are people who are usually sitting on their fat arses in the comfort of their loungerooms. A ref covers more distance in a game than anyone, other than the touch judges sometimes, they are involved in every play. They have to make split-second decisions with sweat in their eyes, their heads moving as they run, with their view often impeded by bodies between them and the ball.

They have to watch the ruck, the 10, the markers, the dummy half. And that’s just at the play the ball. Touch judges help, but being a touch judge is even harder sometimes, with a sea of arms and legs and bodies in front of them and in high scoring games often cover more distance in a game than anyone, doing a 100m sprint after each conversion or penalty attempt and then be ready for the kick-off.

Idiot fans who abuse refs and touch judges haven’t got a clue.

Refs and touch judges have to be extremely fit just to get through a game. There are a couple of refs who have gotten to the end of a Yo-Yo test where the tape has finished and they’re still going.

Most idiot fans who abuse them would drop dead doing the warm up.

Having said all that, I don’t understand how the guys in the bunker with big Hi_Res screens, lots of angles, super slow-mo, a comfy chair and bottled water in hand can get some decisions so blatantly and obviously wrong.

And it’s used too much, slows the game down too much too often. You watch games below NRL level with no bunker and it just flows so much better, the ref makes the call and we get on with the game.

I’d probably get rid of the bunker if it was up to me, but the problem with that is the technology is there, and would be used by the media after games, refs would get crucified for any decision they got wrong by the losing team and the media. The back page of the Telegraph would have a still of the ball touching the ground in-goal when a ref had said no try, not grounded and so on, etc, etc, etc.

But I’m still leaning towards getting rid of the bunker.

Cheers,
RW.
RW you raise some very interesting points regarding referees. Your comment about 17 year old referee being abused by parents, happened to me when I was about 18-19, when I was refereeing in the now defunct Wests Ashfield competition.

A mother on the sideline was abusing the crap out of me, for just about every decision I made. Eventually I had enough. I asked the Ground Marshall to escort the woman to her car and she is to stay there. I then resumed the game.

Her son yelled out, see Mum, I told you to keep your f——- big mouth shut.

A couple of nights later I was asked to front the referees appointment board at Wests to explain my actions, which were deemed out of order.

I asked one simple question, “what should I have done”. None of the board could give me a definitive answer. They all just looked at each other.

You raised the point about what a ref has to watch and what the touch judges do.

When I was 22, I started to ref Junior reps which in those days was SG Ball (under 15’s) and then a couple of years later Jersey Flagg (under 18’s).

I did a game on a very wet day at Shark Park where Balmain really had me on edge all day. Their 2nd marker was so quick out of there I had to watch him like a hawk. Almost at the same time their right centre was creeping, and I asked the touch judge on that side to extend his flag if he thought the centre was offside. Never at any stage did I get a call. I pretty much knew I was on my own with making decisions.

I have felt since the game escalated in speed, around the mid 90’s that 2 referees is a must. One to watch the ruck, the other to mark the 10 metres (5 in my day).

Touch judges in the main are touch judges because either they are not good enough to be in the middle, or in the case of some now retired touchies, got too old to be in the middle and went to the sideline.

The one on the side the ball is going to is SUPPOSED to be in line with the ball to pick up forward passes. The other a few metres behind the play the play to pick up incidents off the ball. Thus their positions change regularly and quickly.

To me the hardest forward pass to pick up is the little short one thrown by the dummy half. Kerrod Walters in particular and others got away with that sort of stuff for their entire careers. Watch the hands. The ball goes in the same direction as the hands almost all the time.

IMHO we need to go back to 2 referees. The more senior ref marks the 10 metres, the junior one looking after the ruck.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Dogs were really good in the first half, but not so good in the second half.

The Knights were never going to win with so many players out: Ponga, Lee, Best, Hunt, Fitzgibbon, Mann, Randall, Thompson and back-up
forwards Sue and Momoisea.

But there has to be more of a next man up mentality. They have to least get the effort areas right. The first ten minutes was rubbish and didn’t get any better until the second half. But even then, they were poor.

Sometimes, the coach is the problem. How O’Brian is still the coach is beyond me.

And The Milf is no better than he was at the Broncos. I’m sure the Knights will be happy to see him go to the Dolphins next year.

I’m sure they will rest Ponga for the rest of the year. There should be an interim coach by the end of today and a new coach next year. Ponga has missed a lot of games already this year, but he’s too important to the Knights to risk his long-term future.

He’s their key player, but they have to learn to play without him too.

Time to give some of the young guys a go, but a number of those next in line are also out injured. Like a lot of people, I’ve been looking forward to seeing Bailey Hodgson have a run at full-back in first grade, but injuries have killed his season.

I’d like to see Chris Vea’ila and Dylan Lucas have a run in place of Gagai and Tuala, but I don’t know when they are back from injury. And I’d like to see Mac Baker have a run at fullback too. And give Sasagi a go in his actual position at 5/8.

If Adam O’Brian is still the coach by the end of the day, Knights fans heads will explode.

Cheers,
RW.
I agree that Ponga is the Knights big gun in attack. But his defence is not up to 1st grade standard. That is why he has never been moved to 6. Agree about O’Brien.