Official Team List Round 15 v Tigers + Match Discussion

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like his low key confidence.
He has this real ability when speaking to stick to his lane, his bullshit meter is continuously engaged and and rather than blame everything on our yardage game, has us defending less on our own try line with Burtons boot and higher accountability with the time we spend actually defending at our end.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Luciano pissing off was a slap in the face, what a prick.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Way I see it, now everyone knows what they can do, we want to see that every week.

More importantly, the boys know what they can do, massive confidence boost. Parra didn't have an off day, we FORCED them to play shit.

They knew all Parra had was line balls (more forward than line), inside passes and spreading it wide because they couldn't go through our middle. We shut them down.

They put the origin forwards on show.
With you 100% on this. We were really on song against the Eels and we put it to them in no uncertain terms.

Less possession , yet our kicking game more than compensated for that. Other stats pretty even and for once we didn't let our errors and penalties upset the flow. Finally we played out a game rather than give a good 20-30 matching the opposition, played to the end .

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"Canterbury will go into a game favoured for just the fifth time in the last four years."

Stop jinxing the team with these blow out scores some are predicting.

Hopeful but realistic till we get solid evidence they will back up their last excellent performance.

PS we lost 4 of those 5 games.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an important game. Haven’t won back to back games since 2019. People bag us our, in actually fact our attack and defence better then tigers. We should win. We need to back up Mondays performance.

You get the feeling we turned a corner on Monday. Attack has improved with Potter, the defence on Monday was all attitude. I’m confident of a win, not the blowout everyone expects, I’ll even take a 1 point win. Must win game for mine. Need to start beating these teams around us on the ladder.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I think the same... way back when teams always happened to have their stars returning for our games, sometimes rushed in.

Before it was because they were needed to try to beat us, recently it is to ease them back into FG.
Most times the player isn't match fit. So not concerned that they are coming back against us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The interviews with Potter compared to Barrett are night and day.. Potter is very direct and holds people accountable while also making sure not to overhype anyone whereas Baz was always avoiding the issues at hand and never held anyone accountable, often making excuses. I feel much more confident with Potter coaching than I did with Barrett.. We're lucky to have someone with Potter's experience and calm demeanour as the interim coach..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The interviews with Potter compared to Barrett are night and day.. Potter is very direct and holds people accountable while also making sure not to overhype anyone whereas Baz was always avoiding the issues at hand and never held anyone accountable, often making excuses. I feel much more confident with Potter coaching than I did with Barrett.. We're lucky to have someone with Potter's experience and calm demeanour as the interim coach..
Just giving a sensible answer addressing Nu Brown and our goaline defence in our last game with Tiges was a direct and targetted response to the journos, not to mention the standards expected of the squad.

In stark contrast to the petulant "no" from Baz to that UK reporter bloke about halfback involvement. All in the past now but geez...Barrett's answer was amateurish IMO.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just giving a sensible answer addressing Nu Brown and our goaline defence in our last game with Tiges was a direct and targetted response to the journos, not to mention the standards expected of the squad.

In stark contrast to the petulant "no" from Baz to that UK reporter bloke about halfback involvement. All in the past now but geez...Barrett's answer was amateurish IMO.

I also like that Potter wasn't content with our defence despite our best defensive performance in years against Parra. It shows that he's setting high standards and expects more from them. Whereas Baz set the bar very low and never held anyone accountable.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I also like that Potter wasn't content with our defence despite our best defensive performance in years against Parra. It shows that he's setting high standards and expects more from them. Whereas Baz set the bar very low and never held anyone accountable.
It's hard to believe for sure ... but sadly Barrett is indeed getting shown up now with just basic coaching standards not being forthcoming under his watch.

So hard to work out his thinking with his coaching philosophies with our struggling team, and what simple basics he could have implemented to improve the team's performances, and especially some individuals stepping up who have made a big difference.

Just frustrating for the club, and personally disappointing for him, but he just didn't have the adaptability or foresight to see and adjust to what the Bulldogs needed to improve I guess.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's hard to believe for sure ... but sadly Barrett is indeed getting shown up now with just basic coaching standards not being forthcoming under his watch.

So hard to work out his thinking with his coaching philosophies with our struggling team, and what simple basics he could have implemented to improve the team's performances, and especially some individuals stepping up who have made a big difference.

Just frustrating for the club, and personally disappointing for him, but he just didn't have the adaptability or foresight to see and adjust to what the Bulldogs needed to improve I guess.
I was horrified when T-Baz was appointed. He showed at Manly that he hadn't got a clue - and with a much stronger roster than ours. You can sometimes learn more from your failures than your successes, but I couldn't imagine his spell at Penrith would have turned him into Warren Ryan - and it hadn't!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I was horrified when T-Baz was appointed. He showed at Manly that he hadn't got a clue - and with a much stronger roster than ours. You can sometimes learn more from your failures than your successes, but I couldn't imagine his spell at Penrith would have turned him into Warren Ryan - and it hadn't!
So elementary that you can't force a round peg into a square whole.

He was a firm believer in the Penrith play but you can't initialize that system into your first year of coaching IF you don't have the players and ESPECIALLY with a roster like ours who had Desball and Payball indoctrinated into them for years.

A smart coach recognises that and slowly but surely puts all the pieces together to work towards his favoured Penrith style.

Barrett was too ad hoc (with signings as well) and not flexible enough in implementing the sensible changes as the team progressed to what he wanted down the track.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Yeah I had been harping on about the simple disciplinary things that Baz could surely get out of our game like the hands on the ball, holding down too long etc that gave away 6 agains and penalties and constantly put us on the back foot. These things killed me that we did them every week. Not to mention using the Penrith attacking system of Jacko at first receiver which never worked and didn't even look close to working

Potter comes in and it's so obvious now we are much more disciplined and our attack has now opened up where we are actually creating more chances and we look like a completely different football team

I'm just happy we put in a great performance last week and actually got to enjoy watching our team last week. Hopefully that was the line in the sand game and we continue to build and improve. No way that was going to happen under Barrett

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A smart coach recognises that and slowly but surely puts all the pieces together to work towards his favoured Penrith style..
A smart coach doesn't have a favoured style. In the long term you develop the strengths of existing players and you sign new players to improve your roster, but in the short term you have to get the best out of what you've got. You develop a pattern of play that makes the best use of their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses - and the pattern will be different between one playing group and the next!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
A smart coach doesn't have a favoured style. In the long term you develop the strengths of existing players and you sign new players to improve your roster, but in the short term you have to get the best out of what you've got. You develop a pattern of play that makes the best use of their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses - and the pattern will be different between one playing group and the next!
That's what I said :grinning:

Clearly that wasn't feasible with Barrett and our roster in 2021, or 2022, otherwise we would have seen improvements towards his preferred style.

But a coach can have a favourite certain style of play they want to implement eventually into their team. Bellamy has. Bennett has. Robinson has. They made in happen via their roster acquisitions and standards. Baz didn't.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"Canterbury will go into a game favoured for just the fifth time in the last four years."

Stop jinxing the team with these blow out scores some are predicting.

Hopeful but realistic till we get solid evidence they will back up their last excellent performance.

PS we lost 4 of those 5 games.
Plus how long has it been since we won back to back? I think it happened towards the end of one of the Pay seasons when we were no chance of making the 8.

A big win can have strange effects on a team that is low on confidence. We really have no idea whether the performance this weekend will be more of what we saw on Monday, or something closer to what was dished up against the Raiders a week after our last win. Hope for the best, but expectations are not advised.