Team for round 1

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can’t believe how many people think Elliott will be on an edge.

1. He hasn’t played on an edge for years. He will be starting at lock ;
2. He is no faster than Jackson

I agree that Jackson is finished as an edge player but he won’t be replaced by Elliott. If he is replaced it will be by Waddell.

I still think Baz will start Jackson on the right edge but his minutes will be cut significantly by Waddell
A simple answer to that
According to reports Elliott has dramatically trimmed down, that could mean one thing only.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can’t believe how many people think Elliott will be on an edge.

1. He hasn’t played on an edge for years. He will be starting at lock ;
2. He is no faster than Jackson

I agree that Jackson is finished as an edge player but he won’t be replaced by Elliott. If he is replaced it will be by Waddell.

I still think Baz will start Jackson on the right edge but his minutes will be cut significantly by Waddell
Elliott is definitely quicker than Jackson. Over the last 3 years there have definitely been a few games Elliott has started in the second row under Pay. On Instagram Elliott replied to Cotric saying "get us on the same edge". It's definitely a possibility but I wouldn't personally.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Averillo (Don't want him defending and tackling at five eighth)
2. DWZ
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. Meaney (Okunbor would be but injured)
6. Wakeham
7. Flanagan
8. Napa (Thompson if not suspended)
9. JMK
10. Atoni
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliott

14. Katoa
15. Waddell
16. Ogden
17. Hetherington
This is how I’d go. I shudder at the thought Lewis will run out in the halves though.

And averillo playing a year at 5/8 means nothing to the team as the 6 is going to burton when he arrives. Might as well develop him at fullback. If he fails then we know moving forward.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing with Averillo is he is still developing and getting comfortable playing NRL. He has said a few times he wants to play in the halves and that probably won’t happen at the Dogs now though. I’d start him in the halves in 21 so he gets comfortable with his hands on the ball and builds some confidence there and then maybe look at time playing fullback towards the end of the year. I don’t think Averillo is the type of player you want to throw in the deep end with a move to fullback straight away.

Plus it’s probably our best available option as a team with Averillo at 5/8 and Meaney or Hoppa at the back compared to having Lewis or Wakeham in the halves.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And averillo playing a year at 5/8 means nothing to the team as the 6 is going to burton when he arrives. Might as well develop him at fullback. If he fails then we know moving forward.
If he "fails" then it may not be because he can't play fullback (ever), it could be that he's just not ready to play fullback and will ready be in 2022/23/24 etc. Perhaps risking ruining his confidence playing him there too early.

If he "fails" then it may not be because he doesn't have the talent and ability to play fullback, it could be that he needs to get into physical and mental condition to play fullback at NRL level intensity week in week out.

Fullback is a very demanding position at NRL level, Michell is still learning how to play fullback, so is Ponga. Giving Averillo time at fullback in NSW Cup and/or 5/8 in NRL level won't hurt his development. In NSW Cup he learns how to play fullback, especially in defence which is his current weakness. At 5/8 in NRL he learns what it means to play at NRL level every week.

Go Dogs

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The thing with Averillo is he is still developing and getting comfortable playing NRL. He has said a few times he wants to play in the halves and that probably won’t happen at the Dogs now though. I’d start him in the halves in 21 so he gets comfortable with his hands on the ball and builds some confidence there and then maybe look at time playing fullback towards the end of the year. I don’t think Averillo is the type of player you want to throw in the deep end with a move to fullback straight away.

Plus it’s probably our best available option as a team with Averillo at 5/8 and Meaney or Hoppa at the back compared to having Lewis or Wakeham in the halves.
This is exactly what I think. He/we won’t waste a year if he plays 5/8, better than shattering his confidence sitting in the centres where he clearly isn’t comfortable.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I think. He/we won’t waste a year if he plays 5/8, better than shattering his confidence sitting in the centres where he clearly isn’t comfortable.
Another thing to consider is if we want to put Averillo’s development at fullback ahead of putting the best team on the field. I know it’s all subjective and everyone has there own version of the best team but as long as Averillo is getting game time in the spine he will be fine.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. T. Katoa
6. Averillo
7. Flanagan
8. Hetherington
9. JMK
10. Atoni
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliott

14. Waddell
15. Ogden
16. Napa
17. Stimson

Jackson and Elliott can swap positions if Barrett thinks that's the best thing for the team. I think Elliott's ball playing ability is very valuable tho.
I don't know anything about Harding, if he's better than T. Katoa then throw him in instead.
Averillo's preferred/best position is five-eighth and we need a runner next to Flanagan.
I still think we need at least 1 of Burton (gets Averillo to fullback) or JAC (we're light at wing) for 2021 as well as another quality signing, preferably at hooker.
Problem with the above is JMK cant play 80 minutes. His workrate is very high, he gets gassed. And you have no hooker on the bench. If we sign a better hooker, might find JMK on the bench. If we dont, you need a hooker on your bench.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Problem with the above is JMK cant play 80 minutes. His workrate is very high, he gets gassed. And you have no hooker on the bench. If we sign a better hooker, might find JMK on the bench. If we dont, you need a hooker on your bench.
We need to sign another hooker because we don't have 1 serviceable hooker at the club. I don't rate Katoa at all and I'd rather a gassed JMK. I'd rather see Wakeham at hooker or on the bench before Katoa. I also want to see both Waddell and Stimson next year and if you carry a utility there is only room for 1 of them, neither are props. Also JMK offers very little in attack (doesn't run enough) anyways so he can manage his game better to play 80 minutes.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully we will do a bit more attacking, scoring tries and kicking goals which doesn’t empty the tank like the never ending defence we have had to endure for the last couple of years. The bonus being the rest of the forwards will be less fatigued and JMK won’t have to do us much tackling for them.

Go Dogs

Waldo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Averillo
2. Cotric
3. Hopoate
4. Schoupp
5. Watene-Zelezniak (until Okunbor fit)
6. Wakeham
7. Flanagan
8. Hetherington
9. Katoa
10. Napa (drop to bench spot once Thompson back)
11. Jackson
12. Faitala-Mariner
13. Elliot

14. Topine
15. Doorey
16. Waddell
17. Atoni

Cotric can play wing for 1 season until Hopoate comes off contract and the Fox comes then he can move into the centres, Averillo at fullback is a must to further develop his game too talented to let him go and Wakeham would be a decent stopgap until Burton arrives as Lewis' game is too domineering and will take away from Flanagan. I think Katoa is the more reliable hooker but hasnt been given enough game time to show his worth, more experienced and level headed than JMK and hopefully can put together 80 minute performances so young Topine can get a go, need to see him in FG

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m really worried about the front row for the first four games assuming Thompson can’t get some trial games off to lower his suspension. Relying on Napa, Atoni, Ogden and Hetherington to get the job done is going to be a big ask.

Napa is a lost cause for mine he isn’t going to change the way he has played for the last few years but at least we know what to expect with him. Atoni, Hetherington and Ogden are all in the same boat where they are in their mid twenties and haven’t established themselves in the NRL. It’s a big chance for some of these guys to grab a spot for the season with a good start let’s hope they do because if they don’t we are going to get dominated through the middle.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We still need another dummy half in the squad next year. I'm sure we'll get one in our last 3 spots.

RabiedDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
1. Averillo
2. DWZ
3. Cotric
4.hoppa
5. Katao
6. Wakham
7. Flanagan
8. Ogden
9. Katao
10. Hetherington
11. RFM
12.Elliot
13. Jackson
14. JMK
15. Atoni
16.Napa
17. Stimson
You won’t be far off the mark

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When i see the predictions for the team on paper, my expectations come right back down to earth, lol.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think so but he's got every chance to impress. Flanagan an organiser, having a ad lib running 6 would be exciting and better than anything Lewis or Wakeham could provide with Kyle.
I'm a fat old bloke with dodgy knees who was never fast even at my best & i would still be a better alternative than Lewis come round 1!!!
I'm open to just about any of these young guys getting a go (other than Lewis) if we cant get Burton for 2022 as it has been stated...

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When i see the predictions for the team on paper, my expectations come right back down to earth, lol.
Yeah it's easy to forget that half of our major signings aren't arriving till the year after. Plus, the Thompson suspension & Okunbur (who I reckon wouldve had one of the wing spots sewn up if fit) injury as well as players adjusting to a new sysem will likely mean we'll be in for a slow start.

Even still, my expectation for 2021 is we realistically challenge for the 8. So between 7th - 10th by the end. Not unreasonable if we get our structures right and our fitness is where it needs to be.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's easy to forget that half of our major signings aren't arriving till the year after. Plus, the Thompson suspension & Okunbur (who I reckon wouldve had one of the wing spots sewn up if fit) injury as well as players adjusting to a new sysem will likely mean we'll be in for a slow start.

Even still, my expectation for 2021 is we realistically challenge for the 8. So between 7th - 10th by the end. Not unreasonable if we get our structures right and our fitness is where it needs to be.
Fitness is something that they can control and get sorted over the off season however getting the structures right could take longer. We only have Flanagan locked in for the spine and the rest could be filled by a variety of players. We might get lucky and it clicks early but that’s unlikely for mine with the amount of changes.

There’s still so many holes in the squad compared to other sides and it’s all going to come down to Tbaz catering a style of play to compliment the level of talent. The top 8 is a big ask and we need everything to go right and some luck to get close.