Opinion Taunoa-Brown

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Dogs should look at signing Taunoa-Brown, Now that he has signed with the dragons short term, It means he will be available shortly and so theoretically he could be playing in the the blue and white as early as this year. He is a good prospect in a position we definitely need filled.I hope our recruitment and retention people are considering this.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I suggested that early last week as the Dragons saga came out. He would be a really solid buy for us. I think it is Taunoa-Brown vs Vaughan. Vaughan would come a little more expensive and a bit more baggage but this is a guy who has played at the top and dominated. Taunoa-Brown has bucket loads of potential.

Who are you taking? Personally for where we are at, I'm taking Vaughan. Props come along quite often, so I think get Vaughan for a couple years and focus on developing from within (our own Payne Haas).

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I suggested that early last week as the Dragons saga came out. He would be a really solid buy for us. I think it is Taunoa-Brown vs Vaughan. Vaughan would come a little more expensive and a bit more baggage but this is a guy who has played at the top and dominated. Taunoa-Brown has bucket loads of potential.

Who are you taking? Personally for where we are at, I'm taking Vaughan. Props come along quite often, so I think get Vaughan for a couple years and focus on developing from within (our own Payne Haas).
Of the available props and Its a meager crop at best, Taunoa-Brown has plenty of upside,Vaughan has peaked in terms of potential and has hardly been setting the world on fire this year and is probably on the decline career and performance wise

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Taunoa-Brown will be available before Vaughan's suspension is complete too

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watched him closely last year since i owned him in supercoach we need better.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Dogs should look at signing Taunoa-Brown, Now that he has signed with the dragons short term, It means he will be available shortly and so theoretically he could be playing in the the blue and white as early as this year. He is a good prospect in a position we definitely need filled.I hope our recruitment and retention people are considering this.
You shouldn't be allowed to sign a contract for a few weeks. Sign them for terms like full years or until the end of a season or until the end of the season + full years, but not weeks. The NRL have big trouble reading their fan base.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Why not both?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I have watched JTB play quite a few games for the Warriors. Has lots of potential and can offload too. Still mentally young though. Has more upside then Vaughan who is 30, carries a lot of baggage. Has been sluggish of late but maybe new club might bring out best in him. Its a risk.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anyone put up full article pls :grinning:

NRL rivals ropeable as Dragons eye roster boost

Rival NRL clubs are ropeable that St George Illawarra is negotiating to sign Warriors prop Jamayne Taunoa-Brown on a three-match deal to help them through the short term crisis.

With the Dragons smashed by suspensions in the wake of Paul Vaughan’s Covid-breaching barbecue, they now want to sign the Warriors prop to take the place of the player they just sacked but only for a three-match period.

The Warriors would then have to re-sign Taunoa-Brown before August 2 so he can then re-register a third contract for the remainder of the season.

There is currently no loan system in the NRL but this contract loophole could actually allow the deal to go ahead without the Dragons breaking any salary cap guidelines.

Contracts can be terminated at any time if both parties agree to it.

However, it seems ludicrous that the governing body wouldn’t step in and try and prevent it from going ahead given the Dragons have lost players for disciplinary reasons.

The Dragons’ finals hopes have copped a hammering with Vaughan sacked and 12 other players facing one match bans to be staggered over the next four rounds.

However, other clubs in contention for the top eight have every right to be questioning how this deal can be allowed.

The Warriors have apparently agreed to the short-term move as a way of repaying clubs for the support they received last year when they were loaned players due to the club’s Covid situation.

However this is an entirely different situation.

The NRL at this point has received no paper work so no agreement has been made.

The Dragons currently sit seventh on 16 points, just one win clear of Cronulla, Newcastle and North Queensland, with Gold Coast, New Zealand and Canberra all on 12 points (two wins back).

If a player was suspended by the judiciary clubs are not allowed to sign outside players for cover, just as they can’t sign players to cover for injuries.

The question being asked around the game is why shouldn’t the Dragons be made to use their reserve grade and Jersey Flegg players to fill the holes.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Rival NRL clubs are ropeable that St George Illawarra is negotiating to sign Warriors prop Jamayne Taunoa-Brown on a three-match deal to help them through the short term crisis.

With the Dragons smashed by suspensions in the wake of Paul Vaughan’s Covid-breaching barbecue, they now want to sign the Warriors prop to take the place of the player they just sacked but only for a three-match period.

The Warriors would then have to re-sign Taunoa-Brown before August 2 so he can then re-register a third contract for the remainder of the season.

There is currently no loan system in the NRL but this contract loophole could actually allow the deal to go ahead without the Dragons breaking any salary cap guidelines.

Contracts can be terminated at any time if both parties agree to it.

However, it seems ludicrous that the governing body wouldn’t step in and try and prevent it from going ahead given the Dragons have lost players for disciplinary reasons.

The Dragons’ finals hopes have copped a hammering with Vaughan sacked and 12 other players facing one match bans to be staggered over the next four rounds.

However, other clubs in contention for the top eight have every right to be questioning how this deal can be allowed.

The Warriors have apparently agreed to the short-term move as a way of repaying clubs for the support they received last year when they were loaned players due to the club’s Covid situation.

However this is an entirely different situation.

The NRL at this point has received no paper work so no agreement has been made.

The Dragons currently sit seventh on 16 points, just one win clear of Cronulla, Newcastle and North Queensland, with Gold Coast, New Zealand and Canberra all on 12 points (two wins back).

If a player was suspended by the judiciary clubs are not allowed to sign outside players for cover, just as they can’t sign players to cover for injuries.

The question being asked around the game is why shouldn’t the Dragons be made to use their reserve grade and Jersey Flegg players to fill the holes.
Thanks OTR :grinning: Very interesting.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can anyone put up full article pls :grinning:

NRL rivals ropeable as Dragons eye roster boost

You shouldn't be allowed to sign a contract for a few weeks. Sign them for terms like full years or until the end of a season or until the end of the season + full years, but not weeks. The NRL have big trouble reading their fan base.
I know, he had to break his contract to go and aid a team who are being punished for breaking the rules. Its ridiculous. Hopefully we can make the best of it and sign him

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What p!sses me off is that St Merge are allowed to stagger their suspensions over a couple of weeks and now are getting help because "they can't field a full team. Where was our help when we were forced to stand down our players and field an almost reserve grade side that copped an absolute shellacing from manly. Rules for some but not others and we are the others.

yearofthedogs2018

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What p!sses me off is that St Merge are allowed to stagger their suspensions over a couple of weeks and now are getting help because "they can't field a full team. Where was our help when we were forced to stand down our players and field an almost reserve grade side that copped an absolute shellacing from manly. Rules for some but not others and we are the others.
It was different circumstances. Our players weren’t suspended by the NRL but had to serve 14 day quarantine as they were at a close contact venue. Unless the game was postponed there was no chance the players could play as they were still having to isolate.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What p!sses me off is that St Merge are allowed to stagger their suspensions over a couple of weeks and now are getting help because "they can't field a full team. Where was our help when we were forced to stand down our players and field an almost reserve grade side that copped an absolute shellacking from manly. Rules for some but not others and we are the others.
I think the NRL now need to come out & say how many players does a team have to get suspended before they can be staggered over weeks, otherwise it leaves itself open for corruption... again! More poor leadership at the NRLOL.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if we have more than 4 players suspended at any given time due to being idiots on the field and.these heavy handed new rules, does that mean we can stagger our suspensions?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have watched JTB play quite a few games for the Warriors. Has lots of potential and can offload too. Still mentally young though. Has more upside then Vaughan who is 30, carries a lot of baggage. Has been sluggish of late but maybe new club might bring out best in him. Its a risk.
I thought about Brown at the beginning of the season considering he looked the goods at the end of last year. Thought it would be a break out season for the kid but he was extremely slow out of the gates and never really recovered.... He is young so plenty of growth.

Vaughan plateaued this season but his last couple of games were pretty decent and looked every bit worth half a mil. The guy sounds very articulated when he speaks so i dont really get the he is a dumb moron rhetoric, i guess just takes stupid risks?

For me Vaughan doesnt look or play 30 and if we nab him around 400k he should be a good buy, though plenty hinges on the suspension.... JTB... Im sick of waiting for forwards to hit their straps tbh.