Taumalolo Trainwreck

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Jason Taumalolo’s trainwreck presser interrupted over vaccination questions

A Cowboys staffer was forced to intervene as Jason Taumalolo continually refused to answer questions about his vaccination status.

North Queensland captain Jason Taumalolo has refused to answer questions about his vaccination status as a press conference turned into a trainwreck.

The NRL star told the Courier Mail this week he has the “green light to play in round one” after the publication reported he was the only Cowboys player yet to be vaccinated against Covid-19.

Taumalolo — one of the most destructive players in rugby league who is on a monster $10 million deal — received a warning letter from his club indicating his contract may be in jeopardy if he is unable to fulfil his duties because of Covid-related issues.

Anyone entering a major sports stadium in Queensland must be vaccinated and last week Cowboys coach Todd Payten said his captain was Covid “compliant”. But in a bizarre exchange with reporters on Tuesday, Taumalolo refused to confirm whether he had received the jab, insisting it was his right to keep his medical information private.

“My medical information, that’s purely because, I’d like that private, so I won’t be answering any more questions about my medical information,” he said.

Fans must be vaccinated to attend Cowboys home games and when asked if he had a message for them over questions about transparency, Taumalolo said: “I can’t answer that, sorry mate.”

The damaging forward was then asked whether he would be able to travel internationally at the end of the year to compete for Tonga in the World Cup.

“I haven’t looked that far ahead, and at this time I won’t be answering any questions about my medical information,” he said.

Fans have to be vaccinated but not players?

Always a Bulldog

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"medical information". lol.

I might try that at my kids' childcare centre and see how that goes.
Exactly, we will know for sure once the Cowboys have an Away game in round 5, because he aint getting into NZ without being Vaxed

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Obviously he's not vaccinated. But the media shouldn't bombard him with repeated questions about it. If he misses games and loses money because it, then that's his decision. If he has an exemption for whatever reason, however dodgy it may be, then so be it. People need to move on even if they don't agree with his stance. How are people not sick of talking about Covid and people's vaccination status after two years?

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say good on him fuck the reporters.

I also say if he hasnt had the jab. Fuck him. every other fucker had to get the jab to keep thier jobs.
It's pretty clear that he hasn't had it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
With Taumalolo here. I saw a tweet from a reporter the other day and it was so far off the mark. Once he says he's not going to answer X question if you keep bombarding him with the same question you, the reporters, are creating the circus. Actually embarrassing the Cowboys media guy had to step in.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Obviously he's not vaccinated. But the media shouldn't bombard him with repeated questions about it. If he misses games and loses money because it, then that's his decision. If he has an exemption for whatever reason, however dodgy it may be, then so be it. People need to move on even if they don't agree with his stance. How are people not sick of talking about Covid and people's vaccination status after two years?
Damn straight!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Damn straight!
I'm not trying to turn it into a pro/anti vaxx argument. I'm vaccinated myself. But I couldn't care less about this story or others like it especially when our vaccination rates are so high. Like many other people, I have Covid fatigue at this point and don't think those that aren't vaccinated should be vilified for it after two years of obsessing over Covid. People need to move on.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
What's next, how bout we make people divulge their current std status just incase you use a shared toilet seat at work/school/functions etc.

Governments and corporation's want to intrude into every detail of our lives and seems there is an appetite for this type of folly amongst some of us who should just mind their own fucking business.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What's next, how bout we make people divulge their current std status just incase you use a shared toilet seat at work/school/functions etc.

Governments and corporation's want to intrude into every detail of our lives and seems there is an appetite for this type of folly amongst some of us who should just mind their own fucking business.
Do you ever stop? Thread after thread of the same carry on. Give it a rest Highway Patrol :-).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you ever stop? Thread after thread of the same carry on. Give it a rest Highway Patrol :-).
What do you think of situations like this in relation to footy players etc? Personally I think it's overkill and the media just perpetuate the constant debate of one side against another by blowing things like this out of proportion when we've all known for months that Lolo and certain other players aren't and likely won't get vaccinated.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Or, maybe JT and NSA are jabbed and have an agreement with their clubs to simply not talk about it given their views / previous stance. I have a mate who won’t tell anyone his vax status and it is what it is - I still have a drink with him because he’s a good bloke who doesn’t carry on about it or dive down rabbit holes with absurd conspiracies. All good with me.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What do you think of situations like this in relation to footy players etc? Personally I think it's overkill and the media just perpetuate the constant debate of one side against another by blowing things like this out of proportion when we've all known for months that Lolo and certain other players aren't and likely won't get vaccinated.
Just responded to you on a different message :-).
I actually think it’s likely they ARE jabbed with an agreement to not talk about it. Too many complications with travel, contract changes (no play no pay), team changes and other disruptions to preparation for a season. I’d honestly be surprised if any club allowed an unvaccinated player. And I’m talking purely pragmatically - not about what I think should or shouldn’t happen to any individual. And yes, the media absolutely get every inch out of it - they’ve got clicks to sell…no question about that I think.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Or, maybe JT and NSA are jabbed and have an agreement with their clubs to simply not talk about it given their views / previous stance. I have a mate who won’t tell anyone his vax status and it is what it is - I still have a drink with him because he’s a good bloke who doesn’t carry on about it or dive down rabbit holes with absurd conspiracies. All good with me.
Maybe.. Personally I think it's more likely they haven't but have found a loophole or exemption through natural immunity or a dodgy doctors certificate (Sam Burgess' doctor probably) or something like that.

Either way, I don't care. I'm the same as you in that I know one or two people I play social comp against that aren't vaxxed but it doesn't bother me. I'm sure most NRL players wouldn't care if Lolo or NAS are or aren't either. The media just love sensationalising anything Covid related because it triggers the same debates.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe.. Personally I think it's more likely they haven't but have found a loophole or exemption through natural immunity or a dodgy doctors certificate (Sam Burgess' doctor probably) or something like that.

Either way, I don't care. I'm the same as you in that I know one or two people I play social comp against that aren't vaxxed but it doesn't bother me. I'm sure most NRL players wouldn't care if Lolo or NAS are or aren't either. The media just love sensationalising anything Covid related because it triggers the same debates.
I agree there’s likely a decent % who don’t care but their clubs? That’s the part I can’t reconcile - I think it would be pretty disruptive in keeping a highly paid unvaccinated player and hence why there might be a ‘don’t ask don’t tell’ agreement in place with some players. I don’t know but it seems reasonable.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree there’s likely a decent % who don’t care but their clubs? That’s the part I can’t reconcile - I think it would be pretty disruptive in keeping a highly paid unvaccinated player and hence why there might be a ‘don’t ask don’t tell’ agreement in place with some players. I don’t know but it seems reasonable.
Depends on the clubs and players.. I wouldn't put anything past the clubs if it's for an important enough player like Taumalolo. We've seen in the NFL teams hide a players vaccination status so that they could play and players get fake vaccination cards..

In the NRL we've seen clubs like Souths get dodgy doctors to claim players injuries are more severe than they are to get cap relief, so I wouldn't put it past them to get dodgy doctors to say they've given certain players vaccinations.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We have 4 vaccinations available in Australia, Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA, Astra Zeneca is viral vector and Novavax is protein based. The chances of someone having an adverse reaction from all 4 of them is almost non existent. Hence getting a valid, fully authorised, State or Federal health authority medical exemption is extremely rare, like less than 1 in a million. The chances of NAS, Taumalolo, Wighton and any other non vaxed players getting a fully authorised medical exemption are next to zero, which would include all States and NZ, plus they won't be boarding any aeroplanes.

It's plainly obvious, Taumalolo hasn't been vaccinated and doesn't have a medical exemption otherwise he would have simply stated it and ended the questioning right there and then. If any non vaxed players think that the media questioning is going to stop they are farkin dreaming.

Always a Bulldog

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on the clubs and players.. I wouldn't put anything past the clubs if it's for an important enough player like Taumalolo. We've seen in the NFL teams hide a players vaccination status so that they could play and players get fake vaccination cards..

In the NRL we've seen clubs like Souths get dodgy doctors to claim players injuries are more severe than they are to get cap relief, so I wouldn't put it past them to get dodgy doctors to say they've given certain players vaccinations.
Anything is possible but I’m not going to throw around allegations I can’t prove. There’s enough posters on this forum who do that and I’m not joining them :-).