News Tangata-Toa settles into new look coaching pack

Malla

Reaction score
Have we had a transition coach before? I've always thought the reggies coach and first grade coach just work together to get players ready for first grade but it will be good to have someone specifically for that role - it should hopefully see more successful players coming through our juniors.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have we had a transition coach before? I've always thought the reggies coach and first grade coach just work together to get players ready for first grade but it will be good to have someone specifically for that role - it should hopefully see more successful players coming through our juniors.
Probs just a different name this year due to the structure

Malla

Reaction score
Probs just a different name this year due to the structure
Potter is reggies coach I am pretty sure.

Actually you are right - maybe Steve James was the 'transition coach' lol that says it all

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Probably would've been a development coach...whoever that previously was.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably would've been a development coach...whoever that previously was.
Andrew Patmore had a similar role -
During the Hasler years the disconnect between the first grade squad and the rest of the club was obvious n destructive. Over the last few years regardless of good intent i dont think the skill, knowledge and credibility existed across the coaching staff for any genuine quality transition to happen.

Malla

Reaction score
During the Hasler years the disconnect between the first grade squad and the rest of the club was obvious n destructive. Over the last few years regardless of good intent i dont think the skill, knowledge and credibility existed across the coaching staff for any genuine quality transition to happen.
Yeah we were too top heavy under Hasler. Was always a massive gap between first grade and juniors... couple of injuries and we were gone.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah lol
Katoa to come on in leaps and bounds this year not dragged down by Steve making him do 400 bounce the ball off the wall and catch it reps after every training ses
Judging by his fitness levels and the amount of running Baz has him doing, he prob misses Steve lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You’re right. Patmore was ‘pathways’ and couldn’t have been very effective due to the Despot’s lack of interest in junior development, but even post Hasler mustn’t have been too effective as he was among the 4 let go in the football department review the board conducted in 2019.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Potter is reggies coach I am pretty sure.
Yep, Pots is coaching Mounties and Dave TT is the bridge between him and Baz/Furner/Sandercock. I think Hansen is more psychology, winning mentality etc rather than specifically coaching anything football. ‘Transition’ is really just a title but good to see specific attention paid to the gap between junior leagues and the NRL as the gap is significant.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How will training work out next year with reserves at Mounties?

No opposed sessions with FG cos CCup training ground is at Hinchinbrook? Or will they just train with Dogs junior teams.

Anyone know how the logistics will work?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No opposed sessions with FG cos CCup training ground is at Hinchinbrook? Or will they just train with Dogs junior teams.
There are plenty of options, commonly there are 19 or 21 in the “permanent” NRL training group. That covers the majority of opposed sessions, if they need back up or fill ins (injury suspension etc) then 2 or 3 times a week they recruit in acknowledged reserves or often development players. During the season there are frequent combined sessions.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

What usually happens is the top 30 players will just train all week with the NRL squad and then anyone playing for Mounties will have a captains run training run and that’s it.

Mounties contracted players will have their own training sessions. It will be a pretty disjointed team I think.