News Tallis warns Maroons will target Pangai’s biggest ‘problem’ amid Blues’ huge Origin ‘gamble’

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gorden Tallis has doubts around Tevita Pangai Jr’s ability to adapt to the changing nature of the Origin arena as questions were raised over the Blues’ biggest selection gamble for game one.

The Bulldogs enforcer was the biggest selection bombshell of either team for Origin I and it has the potential to make or break the Blues’ bid for a series win.

“Brad Fittler has shown his cards very early,” Braith Anasta said on NRL 360.

“He has said that he is taking a gamble. He’s happy to roll the dice. He has got Tevita Pangai Jr in there and Hudson Young and he is confident they will get the job done.

“But he has openly admitted that it is a bit of a risk.”

Paul Crawley believes Fittler’s mentor and Bulldogs boss Phil Gould played a huge part in Pangai Jr’s shock selection.

“It could be a masterstroke,” Crawley said.

“I look at this selection of Tevita and no one saw this coming. But you know one bloke I reckon did see this coming? Phil Gould. I reckon this has got Gus’ fingerprints all over it.

“We all know he (Pangai Jr) is as mad as a two bob watch, but I’ve been waiting for Tevita Pangai to get to this stage for about four years and I’m really happy for him.

“I really hope he goes out there and he handles the occasion. But he has to be very careful that he doesn’t go too far.”

Anasta revealed that Gould challenged Pangai Jr to shape up or ship out just two months ago at the Bulldogs.

“I spoke to Gus about eight weeks ago and he was talking about Tevita Pangai,” Anasta said.

“He said he told him, you have got to pick up your act. You have got to be more disciplined. You have got to work harder than what you have been working over the past couple of seasons or else your gone.

“Gus has put the rocket up him earlier this year and he seems to be responding and this is why he has earned his spot.”

Dave Riccio pointed out that Pangai Jr has changed his approach since the off-season and predicted fireworks from the Blues’ enforcer in Origin I.

“To Tevita’s credit he sat out the World Cup to get his pre-season right,” Riccio said.

“To get into that mindset that potentially Gus has challenged him with. And he has.

“I think we are guaranteed fireworks. Absolutely guaranteed. He has been picked for a reason.”

However, Tallis warned the game even at Origin level has moved on from players being picked purely to target the opposition physically.

“10 years ago the punch got banned,” Tallis said.

“They picked Mark Geyer in 1991. Hasn’t the game moved on from that to pick someone to go and target?”

Crawley agreed if Pangai Jr or any other player is sin-binned it has the potential to cost either side the game in Origin I.

“You run the risk, if anyone goes out there with the intention of starting a blue and you end up leaving your side a man down for 10 minutes, it is almost the match,” Crawley said.

“Tevita has also got that X-factor about him. He has got the offload. He has got the ability to do what few forwards in the game can do.

“I believe that is more to the case of why Freddy has picked him.”

However, Tallis warned the Blues may be on the back foot for most of the game, which will make it difficult for Pangai Jr to play to his strengths.

“That doesn’t always happen,” Tallis said.

“I tell you something about Origin, you have got to be prepared to come off your try line all night and that’s not Tevita’s mindset.

“If you have got no runners and he comes on and they say they are going to use him for 20 minutes. What happens if you don’t have the ball for 20 minutes?”

Crawley believes the Blues will use Pangai Jr as an impact player at the back end of each half.

“Do you think they will use him as a starting prop or off the bench for 20 minutes running up to halftime?” Crawley asked.

“I reckon that is more likely.”

However, Tallis believes Pangai Jr will be targeted by the Maroons and his defence could be exposed.

“I don’t think it worries Queensland,” Tallis said.

“I think Hudson Young is a really good player. He can play quality minutes and he will get there.

“The problem with Tevita is backing up his efforts. So if they start targeting him and they absolutely will.

“If I am playing against Tevita I am going to put it back on him.

“He is going to bruise me. He is big. He is powerful. He is explosive.

“But if I run at him five times, there is every chance he is going to miss you a couple of times.”

Anasta agreed that Pangai Jr does have deficiencies in his game that can be exploited.

“If they start targeting him because Tevita does have the ability to get caught out in defence and come up with some silly errors,” Anasta said.

However, Riccio believes Pangai Jr’s weaknesses are more exposed in a weak Bulldogs pack down on troops and he will benefit from playing with better players in Origin.

“This is what Tevita has been doing all season and why? Because he has got no other front-rowers running with him at the Bulldogs,” Riccio said.

“Luke Thompson is out injured. Power back-rower Kikau is out. Tevita has been running one out largely on the back foot for a Bulldogs side.

“Not like the Broncos where Payne Haas can go with Carrigan and Flegler. He has been doing it by himself, which suits well for the Blues.”

Anasta believes it is impossible to predict how Pangai Jr’s selection gamble will turn out.

“I don’t think anyone knows or any of us here can possibly know or try and predict how it is going to go with Tevita,” Anasta said.

“But why not because it is a big series for Freddy. He needs to take risks. He needs to gamble and he has certainly done that.”

“That’s what Freddy said last night, all the chips are in,” Crawley added.

“It is his job on the line. He has gambled with him and so if it pays off he wins and if it doesn’t he loses.”

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only Thompson and TPJ could fire up weekly and be consistent they would both certainly help us lay a platform be more aggressive.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meh. NSW are stacked across the park. Doubt they will even need TPJ to play more than 15 mins each half.

Imagine coming up against a center pairing of Mitchell & Turbo, JAC on the wing, premiership winning 6,7, 9 & 13 plus the best prop in the game Payne Haas. You also have the Daly M player sitting on the bench.

TPJ will be the least of QLDs problems. In fact I think it's a ploy to distract QLD from the real danger lol...

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine coming up against a center pairing of Mitchell & Turbo, JAC on the wing, premiership winning 6,7, 9 & 13 plus the best prop in the game Payne Haas. You also have the Daly M player sitting on the bench.
Yeah but Fittler’s the coach, so it kind of cancels each other out lol

Nah but in all seriousness your right, that team is stacked.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gorden Tallis has doubts around Tevita Pangai Jr’s ability to adapt to the changing nature of the Origin arena as questions were raised over the Blues’ biggest selection gamble for game one.

The Bulldogs enforcer was the biggest selection bombshell of either team for Origin I and it has the potential to make or break the Blues’ bid for a series win.

“Brad Fittler has shown his cards very early,” Braith Anasta said on NRL 360.

“He has said that he is taking a gamble. He’s happy to roll the dice. He has got Tevita Pangai Jr in there and Hudson Young and he is confident they will get the job done.

“But he has openly admitted that it is a bit of a risk.”

Paul Crawley believes Fittler’s mentor and Bulldogs boss Phil Gould played a huge part in Pangai Jr’s shock selection.

“It could be a masterstroke,” Crawley said.

“I look at this selection of Tevita and no one saw this coming. But you know one bloke I reckon did see this coming? Phil Gould. I reckon this has got Gus’ fingerprints all over it.

“We all know he (Pangai Jr) is as mad as a two bob watch, but I’ve been waiting for Tevita Pangai to get to this stage for about four years and I’m really happy for him.

“I really hope he goes out there and he handles the occasion. But he has to be very careful that he doesn’t go too far.”

Anasta revealed that Gould challenged Pangai Jr to shape up or ship out just two months ago at the Bulldogs.

“I spoke to Gus about eight weeks ago and he was talking about Tevita Pangai,” Anasta said.

“He said he told him, you have got to pick up your act. You have got to be more disciplined. You have got to work harder than what you have been working over the past couple of seasons or else your gone.

“Gus has put the rocket up him earlier this year and he seems to be responding and this is why he has earned his spot.”

Dave Riccio pointed out that Pangai Jr has changed his approach since the off-season and predicted fireworks from the Blues’ enforcer in Origin I.

“To Tevita’s credit he sat out the World Cup to get his pre-season right,” Riccio said.

“To get into that mindset that potentially Gus has challenged him with. And he has.

“I think we are guaranteed fireworks. Absolutely guaranteed. He has been picked for a reason.”

However, Tallis warned the game even at Origin level has moved on from players being picked purely to target the opposition physically.

“10 years ago the punch got banned,” Tallis said.

“They picked Mark Geyer in 1991. Hasn’t the game moved on from that to pick someone to go and target?”

Crawley agreed if Pangai Jr or any other player is sin-binned it has the potential to cost either side the game in Origin I.

“You run the risk, if anyone goes out there with the intention of starting a blue and you end up leaving your side a man down for 10 minutes, it is almost the match,” Crawley said.

“Tevita has also got that X-factor about him. He has got the offload. He has got the ability to do what few forwards in the game can do.

“I believe that is more to the case of why Freddy has picked him.”

However, Tallis warned the Blues may be on the back foot for most of the game, which will make it difficult for Pangai Jr to play to his strengths.

“That doesn’t always happen,” Tallis said.

“I tell you something about Origin, you have got to be prepared to come off your try line all night and that’s not Tevita’s mindset.

“If you have got no runners and he comes on and they say they are going to use him for 20 minutes. What happens if you don’t have the ball for 20 minutes?”

Crawley believes the Blues will use Pangai Jr as an impact player at the back end of each half.

“Do you think they will use him as a starting prop or off the bench for 20 minutes running up to halftime?” Crawley asked.

“I reckon that is more likely.”

However, Tallis believes Pangai Jr will be targeted by the Maroons and his defence could be exposed.

“I don’t think it worries Queensland,” Tallis said.

“I think Hudson Young is a really good player. He can play quality minutes and he will get there.

“The problem with Tevita is backing up his efforts. So if they start targeting him and they absolutely will.

“If I am playing against Tevita I am going to put it back on him.

“He is going to bruise me. He is big. He is powerful. He is explosive.

“But if I run at him five times, there is every chance he is going to miss you a couple of times.”

Anasta agreed that Pangai Jr does have deficiencies in his game that can be exploited.

“If they start targeting him because Tevita does have the ability to get caught out in defence and come up with some silly errors,” Anasta said.

However, Riccio believes Pangai Jr’s weaknesses are more exposed in a weak Bulldogs pack down on troops and he will benefit from playing with better players in Origin.

“This is what Tevita has been doing all season and why? Because he has got no other front-rowers running with him at the Bulldogs,” Riccio said.

“Luke Thompson is out injured. Power back-rower Kikau is out. Tevita has been running one out largely on the back foot for a Bulldogs side.

“Not like the Broncos where Payne Haas can go with Carrigan and Flegler. He has been doing it by himself, which suits well for the Blues.”

Anasta believes it is impossible to predict how Pangai Jr’s selection gamble will turn out.

“I don’t think anyone knows or any of us here can possibly know or try and predict how it is going to go with Tevita,” Anasta said.

“But why not because it is a big series for Freddy. He needs to take risks. He needs to gamble and he has certainly done that.”

“That’s what Freddy said last night, all the chips are in,” Crawley added.

“It is his job on the line. He has gambled with him and so if it pays off he wins and if it doesn’t he loses.”
My question to the clueless Tallis...
Will the same rules be applied to all the players especially the forwards from both teams ?
If history is an indication, NO !
The State Of Garbage called Origin was originally made for the loosers Queenslanders to feel good about themselves :laughing:
Thuggery took over when the NSW team was hijacked and Arthur Beetson decided to bash senselessly his Parramatta team mate Mick Cronin, sadly in that moment and in my opinion he lost his stature as a great for bashing a mate,
In the meantime the games administration saw the big $$$$$ signs the rest was history !!!
Under the current No Punch Rule would the SOO have existed ?

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
King has been carrying the Bulldogs on his back for 18 months, lucky he has a sack full of testosterone!
He got's about 10 litres of testosterone saved up in his nut sack from not fuckin a broad. You ask me I hope he never fucks a broad till he retires. I ain't want his testosterone to go any lower

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meh.
NRL360 garbage to fuel SOO hype.
All that matters is what happens on game day.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Funny how SoO comes around and all these guys become "shitblokes", fudge Parker was the same on Sunday.