@ tagging / notification system

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Hi Mods/Admins/Developers of this forum.

You guys reckon we could implement an @ (tag) function? to notify users that they have been responded to?

Not always do I realise that someone has replied to one of my posts and if we introduce some sort of notification system it would help people like myself be aware of who is responding etc.

Example:

K E: "Hello People"

Me: "@K E whats up dawg?"

Thoughts fellow kennellers and mods?

- Mathew

P.S I used K E in my example cause I cannot fathom my love for him.

P.S.S if the @ tag function exists K E would instantly notice this post. But since it doesn't who knows if he will ever lurk here. ;)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Seen this sort of setup on other forums before, and to be honest it's always messy, and rather convoluted.

Makes reading comments far more like a Twitter comment, than an actual post.

Far easier is simply PM'ing the user and asking for their input on a thread/comment of yours.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
It's certainly worth considering, but off the top of my head ....

Pros

- I like the idea as a concept, and when it works I agree it's a good tool to have.

Cons

- Any change of this magnitude on the functionality of the forum, is always as a result of wider vBulletin community initiatives (think "Arcade" section : Some vBulletins have them, some don't). Once discovered, it needs to be implemented, which (I imagine) needs a plug-in/patch/scripting installed ... and eventually, this all means downtime. Which is not ideal during July-October.

Maybe it'll happen over the off-season as part of any wider site upgrades the Godfathers decide to implement.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
has been already brought up, don't know if it will be implemented

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just on that CK... the more plugins you add to VBulletin, the more unstable it can make it, and the more open to exploit/patching is required.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
What if a notification appears when someone simply clicks "Reply" or "Reply with quote" ?

Maybe just an adjustment to the notification centre.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm you can already subscribe to threads, which will email (or advise you) when there is a new post after yours in a thread, but I don't think theres a lot of variation there.