Tackle breaks

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need to get more value out of our tackle breaks. Two of our backs (no prizes for guessing who) are in the top 5 at the moment for tackle breaks. Burton and Flanno need to make it their business to get around these two players and try to make something of it when it happens, be available for an offload, yell at blokes to get into position for a quick spread, or just give them an option when they beat the first 1 or 2 defenders. This is an area for increased effort that we need to start getting a few more results like today. You can bet T Lamb would have been all over this by now.

1651323089927.png

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need to get more value out of our tackle breaks. Two of our backs (no prizes for guessing who) are in the top 5 at the moment for tackle breaks. Burton and Flanno need to make it their business to get around these two players and try to make something of it when it happens, be available for an offload, yell at blokes to get into position for a quick spread, or just give them an option when they beat the first 1 or 2 defenders. This is an area for increased effort that we need to start getting a few more results like today. You can bet T Lamb would have been all over this by now.

View attachment 48576
Add to that the player leading the most off loads list is also a Bulldog in TPJ ...

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've noticed with the storm when Munster, Cheese,etc breaks a tackle and skips in field, there's always someone running onto the ball looking to run into a hole. When JAC or Duffty does that, every one else is just standing and watching, hoping that they're going to evade all the defenders by themselves and run the length of the field.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah agree totally
One last night JMK cut thru in the first 10mins and Averillo the dead shit full sprints to the inside and ended up 5m in front of JMK lol

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed with the storm when Munster, Cheese,etc breaks a tackle and skips in field, there's always someone running onto the ball looking to run into a hole. When JAC or Duffty does that, every one else is just standing and watching, hoping that they're going to evade all the defenders by themselves and run the length of the field.
And the times we see a player in support, they are taking the pass at half pace. I see the same thing when we pass to a forward near the try line - they just hit the line at a jog instead of a sprint.

Storm have perfected the art of hitting the line and spinning in the tackle to crash over, or throw a pass to an unmarked forward. Our guys just trot up and try to barge their way into the in goal area, while the rest of the team looks on.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jake was there in support but JMK did a JMK and ran other way
What I did see last night was four defenders tackling a player near the Roosters try line. The ball was played, and the receiver charged back at the same four defenders. If there were four defenders in a huddle, there must have been an overlap out wide, begging for a quick pass to an unmarked player - but we insist on holding the ball, and running back to where the defence is most crowded.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What I did see last night was four defenders tackling a player near the Roosters try line. The ball was played, and the receiver charged back at the same four defenders. If there were four defenders in a huddle, there must have been an overlap out wide, begging for a quick pass to an unmarked player - but we insist on holding the ball, and running back to where the defence is most crowded.
Yeah we aren’t the smartest team unfortunately, it all starts with JMK

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They do that all over the field not just inside the 20. Fair enough if you offload and create space for your runner but there's never anyone there...so much to work on.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

View attachment 48576
Thats a very interesting stat. Wouldnt have thought it to be. Prettydecent effort given how many games we have lost. I agree, we need to make more of these opportunities.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add to that the player leading the most off loads list is also a Bulldog in TPJ ...
And Max King is pretty high up that list too. Whenever we get an offload we don’t seem to be able to get the ball to someone in a better position. I think the boys need some training and set plays from what happens when TPJ or King, and next year we have Kakau all providing offloads.

We seem to just try and run it back into the players that didn’t wrap the ball up first time. Around the ruck you will have a concentration of players we should be able to get the ball to someone wider and at worst get someone one on one.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Need yes.!!!

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get baa to training and teach support play

Reactions: 88

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
its embarrassing he's not even looking for support
JMK has bombed numerous opportunities like this over the years, makes a break but just doesn't have the composure or awareness to linkup with support. He actually did look inside and outside here but doesn't really actively scan what's going on around him.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just started watching the highlights now and JMK 100% fucked it.View attachment 48703
100% correct. Jmk stuffed it big time. Did he actually think he’d burn teddy on the outside?
i don’t know why guys don’t just run straight at the fullback and allow the support to position themselves.
by running to a particular side he takes away the option of dummying and even passing to a support player. Dumb fuck he is

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
100% correct. Jmk stuffed it big time. Did he actually think he’d burn teddy on the outside?
i don’t know why guys don’t just run straight at the fullback and allow the support to position themselves.
by running to a particular side he takes away the option of dummying and even passing to a support player. Dumb fuck he is
He doesn't think lol. I feel this is the stuff Bellamy and his staff nail at the Storm and something we completely skim over. All these little areas are worked on at training so the entire squad is on the same page and reacts as accordingly in these types of situations