Sydney FC hot on tail of Dogs' head

Status
Not open for further replies.

sviruch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sydney FC hot on tail of Dogs' head Sebastian Hassett
April 28, 2011

Wading through the list of candidates ... Sydney FC vice-chairman Scott Barlow. Photo: Getty Images

THE impressive turnaround of the Canterbury Bulldogs hasn't gone unnoticed outside rugby league circles, with Sydney FC looking to secure one the Dogs' off-field staff as their new chief executive.

Dirk Melton, currently the Bulldogs' general manager of marketing and commercial operations, and right-hand man to Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg, has been targeted by Sydney FC as potentially the right man to bring stability to a club that has gone through five chief executives in six seasons.

Sydney FC vice-chairman Scott Barlow, who is the son-in-law and board representative of club owner David Traktovenko, has been sorting through a list of candidates in recent months following the sudden resignation of Edwin Lugt in February.

Advertisement: Story continues below Currently the list of applicants is down to two, with Melton pitted against former Wellington Phoenix CEO Tony Pignata for the job.

Pignata has been a long-time favourite for the position and was reportedly up against ex-Wests Tigers chief executive officer Scott Longmuir.

However, Longmuir seems to be out of the running after sources confirmed to the Herald that there were only two likely contenders, one of whom - Melton - was a late entry. While Longmuir and Pignata were original applicants for the job, Melton was not, and was approached by Sydney FC.

Lugt walked out after falling out with Barlow over the latter's involvement in club decision-making but has so far chosen to keep silent over his decision to leave. Melton declined to comment yesterday.

Barlow has told the club's stakeholders that a decision will be made soon, most likely before the club holds its ''Sydney FC in Business'' luncheon next Wednesday.

Both candidates have differing strengths and experiences. Pignata's track record in football is strong, having overseen Wellington's transition from a young A-League club into a position of strength after several years as chief executive of the Victorian Soccer Federation [now Football Federation Victoria].

Melton has not held any position in football in recent times but his first-hand experience in helping bring credibility back to the damaged Bulldogs' brand will play strongly on the minds of those making the decisions at Moore Park, for the club has experienced a dramatic downturn in fortunes, albeit for different reasons.

Before shifting to Belmore, Melton worked for St George Illawarra and was also the marketing and commercial director at Ticketek

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/sydney-fc-hot-on-tail-of-dogs-head-20110427-1dwx5.html

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...f-dogs-head-20110427-1dwx5.html#ixzz1Km4DdRmv

Last edited by a moderator:

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
**** off soccer, leave our admin alone lol

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
Dirk has an extremely smart approach to marketing and although I have only met with him on a couple of occasions, the guy is a professional. No doubt Todd has been a major reason for the turnaround of this great club, but certainly Dirk is a close second.

Back off Sydney FC.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take who you want, but if Todd Greenberg goes, there will be riots!

TheBarba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would stick with my job in league for sure, can soccer in Australia realisitically believe it will last for another 4 years????

How many games did the Roar not lose in a row last year?? It was barely even covered in the media. (I write not lose because you cannot class a draw as a win, they aspire to mediocrity)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was impressed with Melton last week on the big chair. Very well spoken and smart operator. Could be a possible replacement for Greenberg when the time comes. Hopefully he sticks around and aspires to achieve bigger and better things with the club.

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I support both clubs, win-win situation for me :p

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Dirk has an extremely smart approach to marketing and although I have only met with him on a couple of occasions, the guy is a professional. No doubt Todd has been a major reason for the turnaround of this great club, but certainly Dirk is a close second.

Back off Sydney FC.
Agreed

Don't underestimate the work Dirk has put into the club. Dirk did mention there are many things the club are yet to achieve and he wants to stick put to reach these goals.

I've been to the past two fan forums and he is a very sound professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.