Swimming lessons for kids

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanting to pick some of your brains regrading the best time to start kids in swimming lessons.

My son had a freebie "lesson" this morning. He had a fun time splashing around (only his third time in a pool), but, at 7 months, I don't think he got a lot out of learning wise, and think i'm better off leaving it a while to start proper lessons. In my generation, kids didn't go to class until about 4 years old, but some of my friends start very early now. I could provably do a lot of the ground work myself, like get him used to the water etc, but an thinking actually paying for lessons will ensure we go regularly (not cheap though). I also don't want to be doing everything the wrong way either (like parents when they give their teenagers their bad driving habits!).

I'm probably leaning towards trying again after Christmas (so around 10-11 months), but trying to get down to the pool a bit in the meantime to get him used to it all.

Anyway, just looking for feedback/experiences from the parents, carers, uncles, grandparents etc out there with some experience.

Cheers.

CD.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's no right or wrong do what you feel. I feel to young and its wasted money.
I gots a pool and get the kids in a decent amount never had a swimming lesson.
My neighbor brings his kids over and spent a fortune on lessons and said what i was doing was pretty much what he was paying for. Getting them used to water blowing bubbles under water monkey walking on the edges ect.
So do whatever you feel is right

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no right or wrong do what you feel. I feel to young and its wasted money.
I gots a pool and get the kids in a decent amount never had a swimming lesson.
My neighbor brings his kids over and spent a fortune on lessons and said what i was doing was pretty much what he was paying for. Getting them used to water blowing bubbles under water monkey walking on the edges ect.
So do whatever you feel is right
Thanks. I'll bring my son over to your place. Saturday morning ok?