Swift response to sex scandal reopens door to Rashays-Bulldogs deal

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Rashays will consider resuming sponsorship negotiations with Canterbury after the club and NRL moved swiftly to sack the two players involved in the Port Macquarie schoolgirl sex scandal.

Rashays was on the verge of committing to a $2 million deal to become the major backer of the Bulldogs just as news broke that Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor had consensual sex with two schoolgirls during a visit to Port Macquarie. The family restaurant quickly moved to disassociate itself from the "family club", leaving it the only team in the NRL without a major sponsor.

The contracts of Harawira-Naera and Okunbor were torn up last week when the NRL deemed they were "not fit and proper" for registration. Rashays owner Rami Ykmour was impressed by how the situation had been handled and hasn’t ruled out sponsoring Canterbury in the future.

"Absolutely, there is a chance, yes," he told the Sun-Herald. "What they have done, I think they have made the right decision for the club.

"We have to learn how to forgive and move on in life. If you hold on to grudges, we will never go anywhere.

"How long it will take them to bounce back from it, only God knows. But in the current climate we are in, people have got bigger things in their heads than what has happened with the Canterbury Bulldogs, if you know what I mean."

Ykmour is an avid league fan, having played the game and supported Parramatta all his life. He said sponsoring an NRL club remains a goal.

"One-hundred per cent – whether it be with the Bulldogs or another club," he said. "Possibly other clubs. I’m not saying I’m closing the door on the Bulldogs, it just depends on what the NRL decides and when the competition goes back on and the rest of it.

d its leagues club went from a $5 million profit in 2018 to a $4.47 million loss just 12 months later. Given the leagues club is closed due to government restrictions, the Bulldogs can ill afford to remain without a sponsor for a protracted period.

Ykmour said there may be a role for his firm in the future given its commitment to sport.

“We’re right through the grassroots of cricket, we do Shires cricket, local football clubs, we sponsor a whole soccer club, we do AFL, rugby union,” he said.

“We just paid for a team to go to New Zealand, a young Illawarra side. I’m a sporting nut.”

Blah blah, this Guy, take any opportunity to promote his business, put your money, where your mouth is

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some people seriously have no fucking clue. They completely misplace their disdain for Rashays, when in fact it should be directed at CHN and Okunbour. These guys are the reason Rashays walked, and every single one of these posters would have done exactly the same thing in Rashays position, even if they refuse to admit it.
Successful businesses/business people, do not become successful by throwing their money away.
In all likelihood this guy is probably using this situation to his advantage right now, but can you blame him? Look at the downturn in the economy right now. This guy probably employs hundreds of people, so remaining financially viable is also making sure these people remain employed down the line.
My thoughts exactly.
The fact they are milking it anoys me but deep down can you blame them. Its a fucked up situation brought about by 2 of our players (ex-players now).
The ironic thing is we were in a hole, we needed sponsorship, now we have given it away for free:-)

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a Sponsor the club needs. Punished the club for a minor incident that other clubs would off got away with. Having legal sex is not against the law. He says “We have to forgive and move on in life”
Funny he didn’t think the players should be forgiven. Wanker go away the club wants loyalty not someone with a big mouth.

Last edited:

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
You do realise our best ever sponsor, Jaycar, was owned by an avid Tigers supporter. Nasheed.
Nasheed our best ever sponsor was Mitsubishi Electric they joined us after the salary cap crap when no one wanted to touch us and stood by us during the Coffs Harbour allegations. The others ran when some bad publicity arrived

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed our best ever sponsor was Mitsubishi Electric they joined us after the salary cap crap when no one wanted to touch us and stood by us during the Coffs Harbour allegations. The others ran when some bad publicity arrived
True, but in tenure our longest sponsor was HFC - 10 seasons 1984-1993. Granted that was in the days when player scandals barely existed, or if they did, they weren't in the public eye and sponsors had less to worry about scandal wise.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
True, but in tenure our longest sponsor was HFC - 10 seasons 1984-1993. Granted that was in the days when player scandals barely existed, or if they did, they weren't in the public eye and sponsors had less to worry about scandal wise.
Yes no one cared then about player scandals just my point in loyalty with sponsors is my view on the best Sponsor. They could off walked away like other sponsors did but they stuck by the dogs and we celebrated a gf with them.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These Rashays clowns are clearly using the club to get free exposure every chance they get before they're even sponsors...

It was the same with the Muppet from Jaycar who would parade in front of the media countless times a year for no good reason.

You don't want your potential sponsor publicly holding you to ransom and any making off field situation worse each time by pouring fuel on the fire.

We need a sponsor and $2 million would help greatly but you have to be careful who you do business with. They want our club and players to act professionally but it would be nice if your potential sponsor would do the same.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I mentioned in the pre-season that it's probably a cheaper and better exercise Not to have a major Sponsor. Costs you nothing. You are not selling your brand to have the sponsor own you and the club's decisions in player crisis.
These Rashays clowns are clearly using the club to get free exposure every chance they get before they're even sponsors...

It was the same with the Muppet from Jaycar who would parade in front of the media countless times a year for no good reason.

You don't want your potential sponsor publicly holding you to ransom and any making off field situation worse each time by pouring fuel on the fire.

We need a sponsor and $2 million would help greatly but you have to be careful who you do business with. They want our club and players to act professionally but it would be nice if your potential sponsor would do the same.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I mentioned in the pre-season that it's probably a cheaper and better exercise Not to have a major Sponsor. Costs you nothing. You are not selling your brand to have the sponsor own you and the club's decisions in player crisis.
You have a point which is why we need to choose our sponsor carefully. But eventually we need someone. Especially after this economic crisis and with the Leagues Club being closed for so long. Hopefully it's someone other than these Rashays attention whores as they've shown their true colours.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

We need a sponsor and $2 million would help greatly but you have to be careful who you do business with. They want our club and players to act professionally but it would be nice if your potential sponsor would do the same
the jaycar guy was no muppet, the media used to call him up trying to get damaging quotes and hold him to ransom but he understood what was going on and took a hit for us and even criticised Greenberg apologising lol

CANTERBURY will seek an apology from Channel Nine over the Mad Monday fiasco, it has been claimed by major sponsor Gary Johnston.

In a remarkable turn of events, the Jaycar Electronics boss claimed last night that the Bullldogs had uncovered no evidence that any players abused the network's reporter Jayne Azzopardi with obscene comments captured by a Nine camera and microphone while she was stationed outside Belmore Sports Ground following their grand final defeat to Melbourne.

Johnston was criticised heavily last week for his defence of the Bulldogs in the Herald and then on radio 2GB, and yesterday he responded to critics who had contacted him with an email explaining his position. In it he claims Canterbury will ask for an apology from Nine.

Advertisement
The email came as it was revealed that Bulldogs officials held talks with ARL Commission interim chief executive Shane Mattiske yesterday.

Club chief executive Todd Greenberg, chairman Ray Dib and coach Des Hasler met Mattiske at Rugby League Central. While the Bulldogs had prepared an interim report, it had also been agreed officials would meet Mattiske yesterday.

It is believed the Bulldogs provided additional information. Mattiske returned to work officially yesterday after being on annual leave.

The Bulldogs are yet to confirm publicly who made the remarks.

There has been speculation that at least one official was suspected, but the club has refused to comment on who the culprit or culprits were or if they have been identified.

''I think Channel Nine should definitely apologise for what they've done, as far as inflaming a lot of aggravation over what was very little evidence that there was any abusive conversation to the Channel Nine people,'' Johnston said when contacted last night.

''It could have been [directed to] someone inside the building, in fact that's the more likely explanation. ''Channel Nine were secretly recording that conversation without the knowledge of the people inside the building so it was Channel Nine' s conceit that assumed that they were talking to [her]. They had no evidence that that conversation was directed to someone on the outside of the building.

''They were stupid for going there in the first place when they weren't invited. Channel Nine are trying to drive something that wasn't there.''

In the letter Johnston writes: ''Canterbury are approaching Channel 9 to seek an apology for the way that Channel 9 has 'conveniently' interpreted this matter. I for one will be surprised if the Dogs get a reply'.''
Johnston also wrote that he was made aware of an audit compiled by a security expert who, he said, had examined, ''ALL of the Channel 9 footage and footage of internal video from the Belmore complex''. He said this had uncovered no evidence of players or staff inside Belmore directing abuse to anyone outside and that the story had been aired with ''nothing to back up Channel 9's assertion that conversation was directed to them''.

Johnston went on to describe apologies made last week by Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg and chairman Ray Dib - who delivered flowers to Azzopardi at Nine - as a ''kneejerk'' reaction.

Among the comments broadcast by Channel 9 were:

❏ ''S--- me off you dumb dog''; and

❏ ''I want to go and punch you in the face.''

Johnston said he was disappointed that his email had been leaked but stood by the information within it.

Nine news director Darren Wick last night told the Herald: ''Anything that Gary Johnston says is not helpful to the process that we're going through. I have a great deal of faith in Todd Greenberg and the Bulldogs management to resolve this issue.''

Greenberg did not return calls. (because he is a bitch, they should have faked it and said the article was about how good a job he was doing then he would take the call)

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if that article was too long for you ill summarise:

the major sponsor was defending the club and the ceo Greenberg was a bitch siding with the media against the club

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch him go to the roosters next year and hell say what sbw said that it was a shit culture at our club

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TAKE THEIR MONEYYYYYYY....

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed. I'd rather drop them and have CHN back. We finally found a ball playing backrower than can also break the line, and now he's gone ffs. We can't seem to catch a break :(
2 million dollars or a backrower? Personally fcuk the backrower because there are plenty around and not many businesses out there atm that can offer 2 million dollars.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I know it's money, blah blah blah but they and their shit food can fuck right off.

It's not all about your precious money.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
2 million dollars or a backrower? Personally fcuk the backrower because there are plenty around and not many businesses out there atm that can offer 2 million dollars.
You'd be silly to think the club wouldn't pick up a sponsor sooner or later. As for finding a quality backrower that can do all the things I mentioned above, not to mention is able to link up with players either side of him, is not as easy as you may think. Yes there are better players out there than CHN but as history states, we have trouble luring them here.