Swift response to sex scandal reopens door to Rashays-Bulldogs deal

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rashays will consider resuming sponsorship negotiations with Canterbury after the club and NRL moved swiftly to sack the two players involved in the Port Macquarie schoolgirl sex scandal.

Rashays was on the verge of committing to a $2 million deal to become the major backer of the Bulldogs just as news broke that Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor had consensual sex with two schoolgirls during a visit to Port Macquarie. The family restaurant quickly moved to disassociate itself from the "family club", leaving it the only team in the NRL without a major sponsor.

The contracts of Harawira-Naera and Okunbor were torn up last week when the NRL deemed they were "not fit and proper" for registration. Rashays owner Rami Ykmour was impressed by how the situation had been handled and hasn’t ruled out sponsoring Canterbury in the future.

"Absolutely, there is a chance, yes," he told the Sun-Herald. "What they have done, I think they have made the right decision for the club.

"We have to learn how to forgive and move on in life. If you hold on to grudges, we will never go anywhere.

"How long it will take them to bounce back from it, only God knows. But in the current climate we are in, people have got bigger things in their heads than what has happened with the Canterbury Bulldogs, if you know what I mean."

Ykmour is an avid league fan, having played the game and supported Parramatta all his life. He said sponsoring an NRL club remains a goal.

"One-hundred per cent – whether it be with the Bulldogs or another club," he said. "Possibly other clubs. I’m not saying I’m closing the door on the Bulldogs, it just depends on what the NRL decides and when the competition goes back on and the rest of it.

d its leagues club went from a $5 million profit in 2018 to a $4.47 million loss just 12 months later. Given the leagues club is closed due to government restrictions, the Bulldogs can ill afford to remain without a sponsor for a protracted period.

Ykmour said there may be a role for his firm in the future given its commitment to sport.

“We’re right through the grassroots of cricket, we do Shires cricket, local football clubs, we sponsor a whole soccer club, we do AFL, rugby union,” he said.

“We just paid for a team to go to New Zealand, a young Illawarra side. I’m a sporting nut.”

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
First step will need to be rashays surviving covid. Are they doing takeaways during covid ? There isn't one near here.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
First step will need to be rashays surviving covid. Are they doing takeaways during covid ? There isn't one near here.
Agree re: the Covid impact on the business and his comments are very non-committal accordingly. Yes they are doing takeaway, I happened to notice walking past today when I was grabbing some groceries. He’s an Eels fan, do we want him aboard? :-).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I've heard of Rashays more in 1 month then ever before, must be loving the free media attention.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agree re: the Covid impact on the business and his comments are very non-committal accordingly. Yes they are doing takeaway, I happened to notice walking past today when I was grabbing some groceries. He’s an Eels fan, do we want him aboard? :-).
Ahh we can still take his money. If they still have the cash to do it post covid.

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Great way to get some publicity for a business on the verge of collapse,a big 180 from the moralistic high ground they where taking a couple of weeks ago

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This guy is a parra supporter. Really dogs? Stuff these guys and make the leagues club our sponsor. We don't need any parra crap associated with our club.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
This guy is a parra supporter. Really dogs? Stuff these guys and make the leagues club our sponsor. We don't need any parra crap associated with our club.
The leagues club being the sponsor is not creating any new money in the organisation. Its like selling a beer to yourself. They are already "sponsored" by the leagues club as it is.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw I don't even think the deal is on, this is a carrot move from the media

because we have shown some good compliant behaviour then they called them up out of the blue to get some quotes, and they are like "sure there is a chance" just to act nice

ffs I wish I was the bulldogs ceo, I would make our cheerleaders dress in schoolgirl outfits just to fuck with the media

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No thanks. Had your chance.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree with you in spirit mate! And the Canterbury logo would look great on the jersey!

But I think @Dognacious is right - the footy club needs to be as financially strong/independent as possible on its own and of course the leagues club will make up the shortfall.

It’s no different to when the Tiger supporting Gary Johnston was writing us cheques from Jaycar.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
You do realise our best ever sponsor, Jaycar, was owned by an avid Tigers supporter. Nasheed.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
You do realise our best ever sponsor, Jaycar, was owned by an avid Tigers supporter. Nasheed.
you do realise the tigers are not our rival, Rodzilla

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey Rashays if you sponsor the dogs, I will end my boycott of my local Rashays (Had a run in with a stupid manager a while ago, not related to recent events).

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s quite clear to me that this grub is simply using the media platform to make it clear to other clubs ie Parramatta that he is still looking to sponsor and throw money at another NRL club! Was it necessary to include “supported Parramatta all his life” yes it was if he needed Parramatta to hear it loud and clear he wants to sponsor them instead of us. He said himself “ whether it be with the Bulldogs or another club, possibly other clubs” he can go and get fucked imo and take his low grade dog food sponsorship with him, he’s just using us to attract his beloved Eels to broker a better deal for himself and his dog food manufacturing company by manipulating the rubbish media to suit his own selfish needs! I’d rather chew on Smackos than eat the garbage his so called restaurant serves up! Piss off Rami your 15 minutes has been well utilised.