News Sutton to answer to Annesley (as he takes control over refs).

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
NRL referees boss Bernard Sutton will report directly to the game's new head of elite football operations Graham Annesley in a move aimed at ensuring there is a greater emphasis on free flowing and entertaining football.

In his first press conference since agreeing to leave the Gold Coast Titans at the end of last season to return to the NRL, Annesley said he would be taking a hands-on approach to dealing with those responsible for controlling matches.

The change is effectively a return to the previous structure in place until this year when Tony Archer was promoted to the role of NRL national manager of referees, with Sutton under him.

Archer is set to be appointed to a new role within the NRL but Annesley will now oversee the referees.

"I have made some internal decisions about reporting lines so the referees boss, Bernard Sutton, will report directly to me from now on about all matters relating to policy and operational issues surrounding the Telstra Premiership," Annesley said.

"I've taken it back to what it is because if I am going to be held accountable for what happens on the field then the person who has most impact over the match officials and how they perform needs to be reporting directly to me.

"The referees are employees of the game and they have got a very critical role in the outcome of matches and they need to be taking operational policy directives from the game's administration so the best way for me to do that is to have a direct line to the people who are responsible for that."

Luke Ellis will be responsible for pathways while Annesley's main focus is on the Telstra Premiership and Holden NRL Women's Premiership.

"My objective really is to try and deliver on the NRL's strategic plan, of which one of the objectives is to promote free-flowing and exciting football so that is what we will be trying to do," Annesley said.

He spent a night watching the Bunker in action during the finals series and backed the NRL's video review system.

"It is very impressive, the technology is unbelievable," Annesley said. "I know that there are many other sports, not only in Australia but around the world, who have been to have a look at the Bunker and they are all equally impressed with it.

"But like any technology it is only as good as the people operating it. Someone has to sit in judgement and make a final decision so we have got to make sure we have got the best, most qualified and well trained people making those decisions."

GOOD hopefully this stops a lot of the bullshit from last season and actually makes refs accountable for their bad decisions. If Sutton fails to act there is now someone over his head to can pull him into line.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see Graham Annesley's appointment as nothing more than a band-aid solution to a bad cut. If they really want to fix the refereeing, getting rid of all the Sutton brothers would be a great start.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is this another nerd in charge of the nerd empire?

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good, at least now he won't be able to keep his eyes closed to protect his parasite brother.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I see Graham Annesley's appointment as nothing more than a band-aid solution to a bad cut. If they really want to fix the refereeing, getting rid of all the Sutton brothers would be a great start.
Sutton won't be able to hide/protect/appoint his brothers to key games anymore.

I give him 12 months and Sutton will get the arse.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Sutton's already had multiple arses and more cocks than a taiwanese brothel

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope this helps rectify the refereeing issues of the past umpteen years. But only time will tell. I honestly think that it's not viable to have a gambling sponsorship deal associated with the game. Until they scrap the deal I'll be sceptical about the honesty in refereeing.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

i hope you are right, but I don't hold much hope..

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol. Archer gets the ass and Sutton gets a promotion ? How the fuck does that work ? They’re two sides of the same coin.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope this helps rectify the refereeing issues of the past umpteen years. But only time will tell. I honestly think that it's not viable to have a gambling sponsorship deal associated with the game. Until they scrap the deal I'll be sceptical about the honesty in refereeing.
Mate gambling has infiltrated every sport aggressively over the last 5 years. It’s fucked. The clowns that head up all the codes don’t think anything of it while the heads of the gambling companies are laughing their arses off

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the reasons they made the changes was due to complaints about "toxic culture and perceived feelings of nepotism". So they sacked archer and keep the suttons. Lol

Malla

Reaction score
If they want more free flowing and entertaining footy that should mean less penalties and stoppages. One of the biggest downfalls of Archer and Sutton was they they would justify penalties making it OK for the likes of Gerard Sutton the flog to blow the pea out of his whistle. Hopefully next season there is a more relaxed approach to blowing penalties for everything under the sun.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
the Sutton brothers suck balls, but they still get promoted time and time again?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go back to one ref so every technical breach is not detected, they created this stop/start shit now they don't want it.