Support Staff/Recruitment Manager

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It just comes down to what Tbaz wants. I'd only keep Mark Hughes in recruitment as he has a proven track record with an eye for junior talent.

A veteran experienced assistant is a absolute must and it would be even better if they were defensive minded. Cartwright or Neil Henry would be good.

Lobster and Harry Harris have had their day and some fresh people in those roles is important too.

I just hope the club gives Tbaz the freedom to pick his own staff. None of the current staff have performed so well that they must be kept so let him get what he needs.
You are 100% right about Lobster and Harris.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Trent should be allowed to choose who he wants within a budget and without board interference.

If he sees merit in people already there then keep them but personally I see very few people who are worth keeping.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think i heard the other night on 360 that the Bulldogs said to Barrett that they were happy with their staff.
God i hope that isnt true Barrett needs to pick his own with some help from Gould.
I really hope that the Andersons let Barrett do his job and stay the f@#k out of his way..

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think whoever whoever is chosen as his assistant coach should be defense orientated to be best compliment Barrett. Listening to the interview on NRL360 it sounded like he understood his strengths and weaknesses. Our defense has gone down hill this season with teams just strolling down our middle. We haven't adapted well to the new rules.

Reactions: ATT

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Mark well. Went to school with him since kindergarden at Regina Coeli Beverley Hills then St zjohns then Benilde. He is a smart operator when his hands arent tied by guess who
Mark Hughes is one of the best

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who do you guys think the club should get for those roles and who should stay?
No one should stay and they should recruit most of us on here from the kennel We would do a better job By miles .

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Barrett we trust. He will have his own support staff around him.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have struggled to keep up with teams,especially in the later stages of each half,with all due respect,I think Toby Grimaldi,and harry have had their time,time to move on

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know Mark well. Went to school with him since kindergarden at Regina Coeli Beverley Hills then St zjohns then Benilde. He is a smart operator when his hands arent tied by guess who
Id even get his brother Garry back. Price failed as a football manager. It would right a wrong from many many years ago. But id be happy with Trent brining in his own staff. The only way to change drastically is to start fresh. Unfortunately it will seem the change will be from the shoulders down as the head will remain in place....... Just hope that isnt our downfall and they can get things in order.

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan Brown was on Triple M the other week and he said unless we get our player development right we will be on the bottom for a fair while. That means developing juniors and also identifying good juniors from other areas.

The key to a successful club is to have your core group of juniors and then cherry pick in the spots you are short. The advantage in having players that debut for your club is that you get them for a few years under market value and there is chance they stay for less. Look at Newcastle's roster this year. A fair majority are juniors but then they recruit where they need to. They just re-signed Jacob Safiti without him even considering other offers.

When we won the comp in 2004 we had 13 players that made their debut for the dogs. The only ones that didnt were Patten, Tonga, O'Meley and Ryan. And Patten and Tonga hadnt played many games at all.

In our team this week we have 8 players that have made their debut for us but realistically if we are going to be a contender again only Averillo, Jackson and maybe To'omaga would be in our plans. So thats 3 players who form part us being a good side moving forward that made their debut with us. Thats nowhere near enough. We basically have to recruit a whole team and to do that you have to pay overs.

There is alot of work to. Thats for sure

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan Brown was on Triple M the other week and he said unless we get our player development right we will be on the bottom for a fair while. That means developing juniors and also identifying good juniors from other areas.

The key to a successful club is to have your core group of juniors and then cherry pick in the spots you are short. The advantage in having players that debut for your club is that you get them for a few years under market value and there is chance they stay for less. Look at Newcastle's roster this year. A fair majority are juniors but then they recruit where they need to. They just re-signed Jacob Safiti without him even considering other offers.

When we won the comp in 2004 we had 13 players that made their debut for the dogs. The only ones that didnt were Patten, Tonga, O'Meley and Ryan. And Patten and Tonga hadnt played many games at all.

In our team this week we have 8 players that have made their debut for us but realistically if we are going to be a contender again only Averillo, Jackson and maybe To'omaga would be in our plans. So thats 3 players who form part us being a good side moving forward that made their debut with us. Thats nowhere near enough. We basically have to recruit a whole team and to do that you have to pay overs.

Well said, and didn't we sign a deal with the country league at the beginning of the year as well?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

That’s good some good ole insight you got right there

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s good some good ole insight you got right there
Straight from someone in the game mate. I know fark all lol

Although it does make sense what he says. Our recruitment and retention has been diabolical to be honest for a fair while now.

We are not producing much talent and we dont seem to be identifying much talent. Hence our position on the ladder

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Although it does make sense what he says. Our recruitment and retention has been diabolical to be honest for a fair while now.

We are not producing much talent and we dont seem to be identifying much talent. Hence our position on the ladder
I think Hughes still has the knack. I’d like to support him but by bringing in another recruiting person also I feel our fitness and strength and conditioning coach needs some reviewing. The physio seems good however. my opionion only

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Yeah it all makes sense. I think we have somewhat leant in a bit more into junior development. we seem to have a few more first grade potential players the last 2 years as opposed to the Des era.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if by some chance the andersons were voted out next election and the new board approached Phil Gould we might have a chance at getting him to be a gm of football and help Trent out

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garry Hughes is also one of the best managers we have had...was also a pretty usefull player too.
Id even get his Garry back. Price failed as a football manager. It would right a wrong from many many years ago. But id be happy with Trent brining in his own staff. The only way to change drastically is to start fresh. Unfortunately it will seem the change will be from the shoulders down as the head will remain in place....... Just hope that isnt our downfall and they can get things in order.