Support, Depth, Structure, and Discipline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
These 4 words are what needs working on in order to get our attack firing.

Support - So many times in the Roosters game Woods or Klemmer or someone was looking around for support and nobody was there. Montoya splits them up the middle, no support. JMK makes a small break, no support.

Depth - Standing flat in attack never helped any side, yet we persist with it. In addition if forwards get the ball flat they have no momentum. Standing flat also nullifies Forans best asset of taking on the line, because he's already on it when he gets the ball.

Structure - At times it seems we lack it. Rather players just plod around the field ball in hand, completely clueless of what they should do with it. Jackson and Elliot case in point. Fine and Eastwood do a bit better, but have others get in the way.

Discipline - You can't attack if you drop the ball, or give away cheap penalties, or play the ball wrong. We need to knuckle down and stop making stupid mistakes.

Get the above 4 things sorted, and success should start to appear.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Signing Corey Norman (and getting him in form again) along with moving JMK to hooker or getting Matt Parcell will speed us up alot and alleviate most of our issues

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Even when we try and play with depth we have no idea what to do. We play it way to far from the defensive line. We never look threatening.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Desperately need Matty Johns to educate our halves and some advice for backs with structure! He does it for free! Surely Pay has his number from Storm days?? He has said he would work with clubs and it’s a simple phone call??
Penna I feel is not the answer

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If anything we are OVER structured!

I take your point on Support or lack thereof.

That rat Barba was great at supporting the ball runner but seems Mbye lacks the instincts to see a play unfolding

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They need to start playing what’s in front of them aswell . When we got an offload or had the Roosters on the back foot last night it would go to Klemmer or Fualalo for a regulation hit up and apart from Foran no one goes to the line to draw in defence either. I remember Pay said all these things would happen let’s see if he’s all talk or if these things will develop as the season goes on.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

That rat Barba was great at supporting the ball runner but seems Mbye lacks the instincts to see a play unfolding
I agree! Whenever we are parked on the oppositions tryline we waste 5 tackles just to set up having a shot on the last.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree! Whenever we are parked on the oppositions tryline we waste 5 tackles just to set up having a shot on the last.
Mate that was a killer burning tackles unnecessarily!

I was ready to rip tv off the wall and smash it but the kids would have woken up lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Burn tackles an taking “settlers” is exactly what we do.. this is why we don’t score many points lol, all that possession means nothing if that’s how we play a lot of the time ! Plain an simple really.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burn tackles an taking “settlers” is exactly what we do.. this is why we don’t score many points lol, all that possession means nothing if that’s how we play a lot of the time ! Plain an simple really.
We are the only team that burns 4 /6 tackles on opposition 20 to set up for one block play then when that play inevitably fails we resort to the kick and hope on the 5th

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Need ball playing second rowers and lock.When was the last time RFM or Jacko put somebody through a hole with a pass? Jacko is a tackling machine and proven rep player so he only knows defence but didn’t RFM get signed as a ball player?To many times he runs back into the ruck and frustrates his outside men.Mbye is one dimensional as he showed when he was in the halves.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

We are playing a different style to those days. We don't have a pack of ball players running together and chain passing. Even so most of his tries and try assists were out wide with block plays.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Now that I can agree with. There was way too much one out stuff last night. We didn't move the defence enough to create the chances possession should have given us. Still with a spine that is only a few games into its partnership it is not that surprising that we still have that clunkiness. My view is that if we are still like that after round 10 then it is time to swing the axe. Until then give them time to work on their combinations not just with each other but those outside them.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
These 4 words are what needs working on in order to get our attack firing.

Support - So many times in the Roosters game Woods or Klemmer or someone was looking around for support and nobody was there. Montoya splits them up the middle, no support. JMK makes a small break, no support.
ive been saying this for years, we havent had good support plasy in a long time.
i thought it was a hoppa issue but maybe its a tactic issue.

we have always been at our best with a Silva or Barba to run through open holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.