Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The final comps winners for 2021 are:

SC Draft Champion - Troopsalute
SC H2H Champion - Bulldogsteve
SC Top Scorer - Mitch Conner (aka Mosh Potatoes)
Fantasy Champion - bradyk
Ladder Champion - Wendog33
Tipping Champion - Motorhead

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...f/news-story/0d2e8b2a661805f21d19c4b0f8e8eaae

KFC SuperCoach NRL 2021: The best premium and mid-range FRF

They are big men who can provide you with a big platform upon which to base your KFC SuperCoach NRL success.

We rate the best premium and mid-range FRF for round one of 2021.

GUNS

Payne Haas

Position(s): FRF

2020 avg.: 75.5

Price: $668,600

Analysis: The gold standard of FRF for the past two seasons, Haas finished 2020 averaging 5PPG better than the next best at the position. Blessed with a massive motor, Haas was called on to play huge minutes in 2020 due to the raft of injuries suffered at the Broncos. As a result his PPM fell (1.05PPM in 2020 compared to 1.23PPM in 2019) and therefore despite averaging 8MPG more in 2020 his average score per game actually declined (75PPG in 2020 compared to 78PPG in 2019). I mention this because Haas has revealed that he expects to have his game time cut in 2021. Normally a drop in MPG would be a concern for KFC SuperCoach, but as a prospective Haas owner I’m not too worried. When he is not required to manage his output over longer minutes, Haas spends less energy in defence and more in offence – and offence generates more points for KFC SuperCoach. Haas is well worth the early investment.

Tevita Pangai

Position(s): FRF/2RF

2020 avg.: 69.6

Price: $616,200

Analysis: Last year may have been a shocker for TPJ – what him missing four weeks early in the season due to suspension and then being stood down for breaching COVID protocols later in the year – but in between he was a KFC SuperCoach stud. And that’s not good news for prospective 2021 buyers. Pangai Jr, playing predominantly on an edge, managed just nine games in 2020 and thanks to a solid base combined with some incredible offload/tackle bust numbers (averaging better than 16PPG in the two combined stats) he finished with the second-best average at the position. Word from Red Hill is that Kevin Walters wants to play TPJ at 13 – personally I struggle with that as I thought Pat Carrigan was outstanding at the position last year. The obvious gap at the club is the edge that David Fifita (now at Titans) played. In short, there’s uncertainty over how Pangai will be used, where he fits. And you are paying a massive premium for a player with plenty of question marks. Hopefully the off-season provides some clarity at which point I’ll firm up a buy/sell call here.

David Klemmer

2020 avg.: 66.8

Price: $592,200

Analysis: While Haas led the position in PPG it was the very reliable, and durable, David Klemmer who led it for total points with the Newcastle enforcer scoring 1337 points over 20 games compared to Haas’ 1283 over 17 games. Klemmer averaged slightly fewer MPG in 2020 (57MPG) compared to 2019 (61MPG) and yet managed to improve his PPG largely thanks to a better than 100% increase in offloads. Big Klem did come off the boil somewhat over the final five weeks of the regular season failing to pass 60PPG once over that period and excising those five weeks his season average jumps to 70.7. Klemmer exceeded 70PPG in 10 of the first 15 rounds of the year and for those looking to save $70K I’m not opposed to using him to anchor your FRF over Haas.

Aiden Tolman

2020 avg.: 64.6

Price: $572,200

Analysis: The prototypical workhorse, Tolman averaged better than 61PPG of his 64.6PPG in pure base. And that kind of scoring safety would have some appeal if it were not for the fact that Tolman has shifted clubs in the off-season. Now at the Sharks he joins a club loaded with FRF talent featuring veterans Aaron Woods and Andrew Fifita and young guns Braden Hamlin-Uele, Toby Rudolf, Jack Williams and Royce Hunt. Rudolf and Williams are more 13s than 8/10 and Hunt (knee) will miss the opening part of the season but it’s a loaded middle. Barring injuries I do not see Tolman getting the minutes he needs to be SC viable.

Junior Paulo

2020 avg.: 64.3

Price: $570,100

Analysis: Big Junior is the cheese to a player like Tolman’s chalk. That’s not to say the Parra prop is lazy, Paulo is capable of pumping up the base as he showed when churning out a hattrick of 61 point base games in rounds 10-12 last year. But base accounted for just 72% of his scoring in 2020 the rest is upside and flair, impossible offloads and try assists. And so if you buy Paulo you must be prepared to ride the rollercoaster, because if you leave the ride early you will inevitably miss that bumper 90+ score that you know is just around the corner. Not one I would invest in early, Paulo is a guy to grab later when your bank is bigger and you need his x-factor to separate you from the play-it-safe pack.

Josh McGuire

2020 avg.: 63.7

Price: $564,300

Analysis: The yin to Paulo’s yang is Josh McGuire with ‘Moose’ accruing 92% of his points in base last year. Now naysayers would look at that statistic and suggest that McGuire lacks adventure in his play; they would harp on his low tackle bust ratio and minimal offloads. The pollyannas would point to the fact that McGuire’s 61BPPG was the third best of any FRF in 2020. I fall somewhere in between. McGuire is a tremendous worker but his lack of offensive scoring means he is needs big minutes to deliver value at his price. With a new coach in charge and a pack full of promising young middle forwards I’m not confident the minutes will continue to flow for McGuire and as such have him in my no-go zone.

Sio Siua Taukeiaho

2020 avg.: 63.5

Price: $562,500

Analysis: The star Rooster was a POD pick that delivered for his owners in 2020 riding a significant bump in MPG to finish with his first 60/60 season (better than 60 points in more than 60% of games). TKO played the full 80 minutes three times for scores of 87, 92 and 102. But don’t count on seeing such a heavy workload often in 2021. While he’s certainly capable of playing big minutes, the workload took its toll and I expect the Roosters to manage his minutes more in 2021 as injuries and niggles mount and the return of Victor Radley frees up Issac Liu to return to the FRF rotation.

Daniel Saifiti

2020 avg.: 63.3

Price: $560,800

Analysis: A big man with nimble feet, Saifiti parlayed his size and ability into a tremendous hitup conversion rate (77.9% over 8 metres) with good tackle bust numbers and position-leading linebreak numbers. The concern when you see a FRF scoring well in those areas is regression (think Ryan James’ big 2016 compared to 2017 and Paul Vaughan’s big 2017 compared to 2018). As a result I couldn’t have Saifiti to start 2021.

Josh Papalii

2020 avg.: 63.3

Price: $560,400

Analysis: Big Papa may well be the best FRF in the game (there I said it after daring to argue otherwise earlier in 2020) but he just creeps into the ‘gun’ category at the position in KFC SuperCoach. Papalii brings a very KFC SuperCoach friendly game with a great blend of base and power and a nose for the tryline. What prevents him from climbing further up the SC ladder is minutes. The Raiders are well aware how important Papalii is to the organisation and even though they copped a heavy injury toll to their middle forwards they still restricted him to ‘just’ 53MPG which is less than every player above him in this article bar Dan Saifiti.

MID-RANGERS

Martin Taupau

2020 avg.: 59.9

Price: $531,000

Analysis: A personal favourite as a player, Kapow averaged 63PPG in 2020 if you remove his nine minute injury affected round five game. Good for better than 10PPG in tackle busts/offloads and with a good base, Taupau, like Papalii above, is restricted only by minutes. In the 13 games where he played 45+ minutes he averaged 64PPG. 2020 was Taupau’s lowest average in the past five seasons, but it was also his most consistent in terms of passing the 60 point mark. I’m not writing him off and should it look like his minutes may bounce back from the historically low 45MPG he averaged over 2020 then he would come back into selection consideration.

Moeaki Fotuaika

2020 avg.: 59.6

Price: $528,100

Analysis: One of the most impressive young middle forwards in the game (in Rob’s not so humble opinion), Fotuaika falls just short of ‘gun’ status to start 2021 but the signs are there that he could finish in the top tier at the end of the year. In 2020 Fotuaika showed he has the motor to handle big minutes, averaging 58MPG and playing 70+ minutes twice (producing a base of 75 points in both of those games). Fotuaika, crucially also added some decent ‘power’ stats in 2020 averaging almost 6PPG in tackle busts and offloads. I say ‘crucial’ because with the off-season recruitment of forwards David Fifita, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and Herman Ese’ese to the Titans there would appear to be no room for more minutes for Fotuaika in 2021 and possibly he may see a decline in time on ground.

Addin Fonua-Blake

2020 avg.: 59.6

Price: $528,000

Analysis: Touted as one of the best props in the game after a huge 2019 season, Fonua-Blake’s 2020 was somewhat of a disappointment. Limited to 15 games due to injury and suspension, AFB’s impact was patchy when he did play. Now at a new club, Fonua-Blake could be a savvy pickup at the price if he looks to have regained his 2019 enthusiasm and form. The Warriors do have a very large pack though with plenty of mouths to feed through the middle. You may want to wait and watch to see how the minutes pan out rather than jump on for round one.

James Fisher-Harris

2020 avg.: 59.0

Price: $522,200

Analysis: An absolute workaholic in the middle, if Fisher-Harris were assured of playing 60+ minutes every game then he would be one of the first picked in my team. In the eight games he played 60+ minutes in 2020 JFH averaged 72.9PPG, in his 12 sub-60 minute games he averaged just 49.7. Too risky.

Reagan Campbell-Gillard

2020 avg.: 57.3

Price: $507,700

Analysis: The big man with the big moustache was vocal about not being happy at Penrith in 2019 and he seemed much happier at the Eels. Eased into the season averaging 47.5MPG over the opening six rounds, and cooled down over his final six regular season games (50MPG) it was in the seven games in between that RCG made SC players excited. Over that span he averaged 67.7MPG and 78PPG (of which 69.2PPG was in pure base). And there lies the conundrum, Campbell-Gillard clearly has the motor to play big minutes and when he plays big minutes he is very KFC SuperCoach relevant. But the Eels definitely rested their two big men over the back part of the season to get them primed for the finals.

Tino Fa’asuamaleaui

2020 avg.: 57.0

Price: $504,900

Analysis: After a breakout year at the Storm in which he progressed from a bit role off the interchange bench to playing quality minutes as a starter, ‘Big Tino’ joins the Titans and is expected to play big minutes there. All three of Rob, Tom and Wilson have picked Tino in their first draft teams, follow the links and you can read why.

Christian Welch

2020 avg.: 51.2

Price: $453,500

Analysis: Welch is another player I was pretty bullish about in my first draft team, and if you have closed the link after reading what I thought of Tino then I’ll save you the trouble of opening it again and recycle here: Injury delayed Welch’s start to the 2020 season and saw him play restricted minutes when he did return. But from round nine to round 20 Welch played 10 games (missing two due to a COVID quarantine breach) averaging 59.6PPG in 51.4MPG and in the final five games of that stretch he averaged 67.6PPG in 55.2MPG. Those are very close to keeper numbers for a mid-ranger price.

Luke Thompson

2020 avg.: 51.0

Price: $451,800

Analysis: Thompson is another player I (Rob) had in my early draft of a round one team because I am an idiot and had forgotten that he will not play in the opening rounds following a suspension for chomping down on James Tamou’s ear in the final round of the regular season. Keep him in your watchlist though, as I believe you will see a very much improved Thomson in 2021 than the undercooked version we saw for much of 2020. The Englishman arrived in Australia mid-season and then spent a stint working solo in quarantine so was still finding his fitness early. He also played lock (covering for an injured Adam Elliott) instead of his preferred prop for much of the season. Has handy DPP status and could make a useful pick-up when the inevitable injuries strike down one of your stars early doors.

Ben Murdoch-Masila

2020 avg.: 0.0

Price: $330,000

Analysis: The big man has returned to the NRL after a stint playing a mixture of second-row, prop and lock for Salford and Warrington in the Super League. I expect him to play through the middle for the Warriors, most likely at prop where he’ll partner fellow new recruit Fonua-Blake. Super League stats do not translate very well into the NRL, but I think BMM could certainly provide value at his price – and the dual-position eligibility certainly helps too. One I’m going to watch closely in the limited pre-season.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 19849

This will be the 2021 Supercoach and other competitions thread.

Early days, will be added to.

Comps will be listed on post 1 of this thread (this post) once they can be created, and be kept up to date with join details and spots remaining.

It will include Supercoach Classic Leagues, Supercoach Draft Leagues, NRL Fantasy Leagues, and NRL tipping comp/s. As per last year all comps winners will win title banners and a premium memberships free (if they don't have one already). Previous title holders who win again will have upgraded titles.

Last year Supercoach was the first available site to create comps, and that was on 21st January. NRL fantasy was a little later than that.

This page will list various comps you can join as they are created.
Reserve a spot for me please mate, I missed out last year and was spewin! Please PM me a day before comp positions open thanks

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I know but it’s the most points that wins the major prize in SuperCoach ;)
And we both lost in that. Under our names you'll see who the site champion is...

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
About a week and we should be able to make leagues. Then spend the next 6 weeks changing our teams and wishing round 1 would hurry up and get here.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
About a week and we should be able to make leagues. Then spend the next 6 weeks changing our teams and wishing round 1 would hurry up and get here.
Is Supercoach available to enter yet bud?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Do you enter the Supercoach comp Beasty?
Yup. Wasn't my best year last year though..need to bounce back this year or I'm calling it quits lol.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
And we both lost in that. Under our names you'll see who the site champion is...
I think my point went over your head. Enjoy H2H champion :grinning: