super league

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
i wish we had of went with this it would of been the best for the players and our game

this stems of the sonny bill williams thread about sponcership

lets look @ david beckham he earns 875 pounds a week from real madrid yet earns a **** load more from sponcership

this is why the nrl is a ****ing joke 1950 managment and a idiot like gallop who runs the game

no wonder our high profile players look @ union i would to if i wasnt making good money

what are your thoughts

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
I hated it when it came in and split the competition in two. However, I agree with what you said. I dont think personal sponsorships should be included in the salary cap, regardless of whether we stick to the NRL or Super League comes 'back' in.
The big money in most, if not all, sports comes through sponsorship.

M

MrCharisma

Hahahahaha I can't even remember how many times I've sparked up this debate

I loved the Super League.. the competition over all had the idea which was needed to bring the game into International status rather then Aus/Eng area's.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I stopped supporting league with the court case BS in 1996!!!
If Superleague came in David Gallop would never of controlled the NRL and the salry cap would of been increased and sponserships!!!

And League would be the sport everyone would watch and Yawnion would be in danger

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
MrCharisma said:
Hahahahaha I can't even remember how many times I've sparked up this debate

I loved the Super League.. the competition over all had the idea which was needed to bring the game into International status rather then Aus/Eng area's.
Well Said Mr C :grinning:
Also the new rules that super league brought in like the 40/20 and the "0" tackle have made the game better to watch....

M

MrCharisma

Super League had the idea.... it was expanding the game into territory we've never thought of. The idea of seeing the Bulldogs vs. the Broncos in China with a packed out stadium....

Yes League is great but most other countries don't even know the game... the competition needed to be expanded into other nations, rise the player count and make them quality so eventually it would be as big as Basketball and Soccer.

But in this kind of talk, the Super League would reward good sides. It's a 50/50 bag with possitives and negatives. In the long run it was the best but the NRL works on a fair competition where the Super League rewards competitive sides with bonus. This is the smarter option...

I mean the Bulldogs are #1 with merchandise and we bring in solid crowds... so why to we need to give our earnings to the NRL, so they can just give it to Souths or someone who isn't bringing in the crowds and doing their share?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
someone needs to takeover the NRL and sell it toSuperLeague behind Newslimited's back

dhn

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
super league damaged the game big time
we were just lucky we picked the 'winning' if not good side
mnurdoch wanted content for pay tv, and couldn't wait to bid for the rights
he had bigger pockets than packer
the 'vision thing' was and is bull****
to say otherwise means you may as well join gordy 'the raging puppet' tallis on the nrl board

saf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So you agree with players getting paid nothing by their actual clubs and the majority of the contract getting paid by outside sponsorship so teams like the rorters and broncos could poach everyones players. It would destroy the game and the smaller teams would die off, i was all for the superleague thing and still am but i also love the game as it is and don't think Gallop is doing a bad job. I would hate to lose a talent like Sonny but no player is bigger than the game and im for an even playing field for everyone, we haven't had a single team dominate the comp in a while due to it being so even and i like that

M

MrCharisma

Brisbane...... Sydney City........ I'd say they've dominated the comp champ.

saf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
MrCharisma said:
Brisbane...... Sydney City........ I'd say they've dominated the comp champ.
Not in the last 5 years as we have had different winners since 2000 and its just the way i like it, although it would change if the cap was pissed off

M

MrCharisma

Dude the Roosters have dominated and been the bench mark for sometime now... 3 Grand Finals in a row plus another one in 2000.... u and I must be watching different games...... Sliders style!

The salary cap doesn't do really that much.... crap sides still have to pay more money for quality players so the comp will always be uneven. Sides like Brisbane, Canterbury, Sydney City and the later extend Melbourne and Penrith will always dominate the Top 8.... much like the ESL with Hull, Bradford, Wigan, Leeds and St Helens hardly moving each year.

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
I like the idea of the salary cap, but I would like to see it increased a bit.

saf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know the Roosters have been in 3 grand finals but they only won 1, hardly a dominant performance. Without winning the damn thing you can't class it as domination unlike Parramatta and the Dogs in the 80's with 4 titles each that is my point

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
NRL should be independent rather than having the game runned by the likes of packer and murdoch. but these guys do provide us the cash to run the game with sponsorships from Telstra and Fox.

I like the way how the Super League is being runned in the UK. it maybe is a crap comp but you cannot deny the talent got over there and with cashed up Salford who are being supported by Man Utd, you can see the amount of money they splash around.

The salary cap is doing its job and it is working for the game's benefits but i just dont like the way how they put sponsorships into the salary cap. its stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.