News Sunday Footy Show

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
still paying Woods and Mbye I believe, unless they front loaded their contracts.

But Foran on 1.2 and Tolman on 700 odd is huge too. we do have some money this year though.
Tolman not on $700k odd that is a myth...

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If we sign Lafai I think it's all gone. CHN and Okunbor's salaries would of contributed towards Thompson's but it wouldn't of covered it completely (unless he came for less this year). You can only carry ~500k into the season.
Mate I don’t think we were given the green light to use Okunbor and CHNs salaries for this year were we?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mate I don’t think we were given the green light to use Okunbor and CHNs salaries for this year were we?
They were de-registered by the NRL and sacked by the club. Why wouldn't we?

All I can say is you have to spend 95% of your salary cap (~500k max remaining) going into a season and Thompson is reportedly on 850k a year. If we didn't get CHN and Okunbor's salary the only other way to fit Thompson in is if he took a massive pay cut for 2020 but we're also linked with Lafai. You have to come to your own conclusion but to me it looks like we did get CHN and Okunbor's salary exempt (as we should).

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
They were de-registered by the NRL and sacked by the club. Why wouldn't we?

All I can say is you have to spend 95% of your salary cap (~500k max remaining) going into a season and Thompson is reportedly on 850k a year. If we didn't get CHN and Okunbor's salary the only other way to fit Thompson in is if he took a massive pay cut for 2020 but we're also linked with Lafai. You have to come to your own conclusion but to me it looks like we did get CHN and Okunbor's salary exempt (as we should).
Maybe @DinkumDog can help with this as I believe I read it in one of his posts.

furthermore mate you got to factor in Thommo coming half way through the year and that’s assuming we even did pay him $850k. The club could have said 750k for this year and he gets half of it. Just an assumption we don’t know the truth.. and Lafai would be very cheap this year .. he’d be. $300-350k a year player and coming mid year... hardly going to break the bank is he? Very possible to do it without using CHN or Oka’s salary.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

furthermore mate you got to factor in Thommo coming half way through the year and that’s assuming we even did pay him $850k. The club could have said 750k for this year and he gets half of it. Just an assumption we don’t know the truth.. and Lafai would be very cheap this year .. he’d be. $300-350k a year player and coming mid year... hardly going to break the bank is he? Very possible to do it without using CHN or Oka’s salary.
It’s a good question mate.
Perhaps two different issues though - filling their spots in the squad vs using their salaries as part of the cap.
My understanding was that we couldn’t fill their squad spots until after the appeal process was complete. However @Spoonman84 published a quote from Pay that seems to contradict that. Regardless, you’d think the club can spend the cap any way they’d like, so losing those two salaries but adding Thommo is independent of filling the total spots on the squad once the appeal process is complete.

Does that make any sense?? :-).

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ve never met anyone who pulls numbers out of their ass and throw that shit around as much as you do. Humiliating yourself
Why is this lil kent even still here
He pollutes the forum with jibberish and shit
Tell him he’s boyfriend is gone and won’t be re-signed
He may even be gone by Monday 5pm!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dynamics has been going to every head coach interview since 2010.
He’s a good coach that dynamics fella
He should keep applying coz every team needs a dynamic coach

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
That would be ideal - no point in him (or his assistants) sticking around if he wont be hear year. Hopefully the new coach can start right away or least bring in his assistant
Sure ...after supporting Dean year after year he's not the coach to take us forward. All the same...I believe, if the Board feel it's untenable for him to stick around, then the NSW Cup or his RHM should coach the side for the rest of the year.

If available immediately, the incoming coach can be present to do his due diligence on the squad...in other words join the bubble...to prepare him or herself for next pre season training. They can do strength and conditioning assessments of the squad and have their say on the retention contracts to be offered to our year end off contract players. It would be fantastic for the incoming coach to have this timeframe to develop his pre season training regimen for next season.

The incoming coach can't implement his changes to our playing structure and style on the run....so clearly if the incoming coach came midseason the risk is that his newness will of worn off by next pre season...at precicely the time he needs the squad to buy into his coaching methodology and plan.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why is this lil kent even still here
He pollutes the forum with jibberish and shit
Tell him he’s boyfriend is gone and won’t be re-signed
He may even be gone by Monday 5pm!
Unfortunately he will pollute this place no matter which boyfriend comes in.
And that abacus of his comes with him. He might even do Pays Centrelink taxes with it

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I'm factoring all that in, that's why in my explanation I said all of what you've just said is a possibility. I find it hard to believe tho that we could fit Thompson and apparently Lafai with the ~500k we would of taken into the season.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I see it differently those four were happy enough to tear the club apart to line their pockets back in 95. Life has a funny way of evening things out eventually.
And his doing the same now pressuring the club to make a decision about is future instead of concentrating on the team playing well

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
And his doing the same now pressuring the club to make a decision about is future instead of concentrating on the team playing well
Anyone catch luke Thompson comments after the game ... bloke deadset told it how it was they were fucking rubbish dean pay sitting any crying about his job his fucked up badly

Bring jammer over here for assistant coach asap

Ennis and Graham coaching team would be amazing but maybe not yet

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The best case scenario is for the board to publicly state Pay will not be extended beyond this season and then Pay immediately walks.

Steve G can interim coach the rest of this disastrous season

The club then announces Shaun Wane as new coach from 2021 and Thommo has a sound bite ‘that’s why I decided to sign as my GB coach was coming over ‘

Sorted

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm factoring all that in, that's why in my explanation I said all of what you've just said is a possibility. I find it hard to believe tho that we could fit Thompson and apparently Lafai with the ~500k we would of taken into the season.
Why? I just explained we aren’t paying a full year salary... something like $350-370k for Thommo plus probably done some things outside the cap like cover his air fares. accomodation for the year a car etc to get settled. Lafai $150k. Very possible.