Sudden explosion of Chinese and Korean car market

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They have exploded because the price of your Mazdas and Toyota's have exploded. Obvious void in the car market when your entry model hatch or sedan starts at about 31k onroad.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our first new car was a Kia Cerato 2007 model black 2 litre for the wife still have it and still hasnt missed a beat goes like the clappers too!
$19990 Dive away when a Corolla was 26,000 and had drums on the back, kia 4 wheel discs, air and heaps of stuff Toyota wanted extra money for was a no brainer.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm in the industry and like others have said, they fill a void in the car market. Not everyone can afford a Corolla, Mazda 3 or some swanky Audi or Merc.

Even from a parents point of view, a brand new vehicle for their child's first car with warranty that is cheaper than a 8yr old corolla makes it a no brainer to the untrained eye.

We all seem forgot at how bad Hyundai and even Mitsubishi were in the early 90s to where they are now is chalk and cheese. I would highly recommend a Kia as an alternative to a Toyota.

Longevity, reliability, and availability of parts is the only real unknown.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the industry and like others have said, they fill a void in the car market. Not everyone can afford a Corolla, Mazda 3 or some swanky Audi or Merc.

Even from a parents point of view, a brand new vehicle for their child's first car with warranty that is cheaper than a 8yr old corolla makes it a no brainer to the untrained eye.

We all seem forgot at how bad Hyundai and even Mitsubishi were in the early 90s to where they are now is chalk and cheese. I would highly recommend a Kia as an alternative to a Toyota.

Longevity, reliability, and availability of parts is the only real unknown.
Yeah i forgot about the warranty 3 years Corolla, the Kia was 5 , then 2 months after we bought it we got a letter from Kia to say we had 7 year warranty ! no charge.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It's a bit small for my liking. But most electric vehicles are. Drives great though and has an excellent interior. They also use blade battery loading.

Basically with Electric Vehicles the issue is that every 10-12 years you have to replace the batteries, and it's not an easy thing to do. Usually costs $20k-$30k. With the blade system is costs $5k-6k.

Still a lot but I usually spend at least that amount on a car every 10 years.
I know - I'm not one to spend thank much money on them. I think I'm likely to get a hybrid vehicle instead. I used a hybrid Corolla in QLD and drove it around a lot and only filled up a few times. I think that's the direction we should head in.

Wahesh

Reaction score
My favourite car when I was younger was the Toyota Cressida. Beautiful interior, had some nice grunt to it, drove great. When they ended the Cressia line they took the luxury interiors and put them in the Lexus. Then they took the engine and put them in the Camry. That's why early Camry's were so good.
When I was younger I loved the v8 Soarer. The car was awesome and still is.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was younger I loved the v8 Soarer. The car was awesome and still is.
An old boss of mine had a schmick Toyota Soarer Z30 twin turbo back in the early 2000's. It was a nice bit of machinery, looked good and fun to drive. The mofo used to fly past me on the way to work of a morning.

Wahesh

Reaction score
An old boss of mine had a schmick Toyota Soarer Z30 twin turbo back in the early 2000's. It was a nice bit of machinery, looked good and fun to drive. The mofo used to fly past me on the way to work of a morning.
...and the bastard didn't give you a lift? What a Karmichael.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I parked my car next to a Lamborghini Urus today. i wondered what its like to drive, or does it kind of defeat the purpose of owning a Lamborghini? I guess if you have a couple of kids, like this guy does, you need to be practical.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
...and the bastard didn't give you a lift? What a Karmichael.
Haha, he used to take me cruising with him sometimes. He was going through his mid life crisis, freshly divorced and decided to get the Soarer. Modified it a bit and made it into a real head turner back then. Chicks used to love it. The old bastard used to pick up some hotties, many that he got to smash.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I parked my car next to a Lamborghini Urus today. i wondered what its like to drive, or does it kind of defeat the purpose of owning a Lamborghini? I guess if you have a couple of kids, like this guy does, you need to be practical.
They are ugly as fuck. If you're gonna get a Lamborghini, get a real one.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed this? The sudden explosion of the Chinese and Korean car manufacturers have seemingly come out of no where.

How is it that they have suddenly surged?

I don't give a rats arse how good they look or how highly priced are, you will NOT find me dead in dark buying a:
  • Haval
  • Baic
  • MG
  • Great Wall (LOL)
  • Ssangyong
  • Genesis
  • Hyundai
  • Kia (special up-yours to these Karmichaels)
You answered your own question. Its because they are the cheapest

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
A lot of people, myself included, lost all faith in Hyundai when they manufactured this disaster:

View attachment 64552

Even Sung Kang (Korean actor who plays Korean character Han in Fast & Furious) poked fun at the Hyundai's in Tokyo Drift.
Hyundais in the early days like the one in your pic, were atrocious. They have improved a lot. No i dont own one but my partner has a kia

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They are ugly as fuck. If you're gonna get a Lamborghini, get a real one.
This person is a multi millionaire and does have a Maserati for fun. I guess if money is no object, what do you buy as a family car? A Maybach?