Such a disgrace!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd prefer legalised than it being run by criminals. At least we have a chance to weed out the match fixing etc. if it were run by criminals, it'd be a lot worse..

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Again i think you misunderstand my point, or your taking it out of context. I fully understand that a sponsor needs a return for their investment, and no matter the sponsor, people will gamble if they want to anyway.
But thats not the point of my post. I know you cant pick and choose who sponsors the game, but surely there are better options?!! Harvey norman used to sponsor state of origin, and now its VB and XXXX, and every advert is a betting agency. Surely there is a bigger company that is a better fit for the game that would be happy to get on board. Or do they just not care? Probably not. But given the heirarchy are so hellbent on improving the image of the game and ridding it of things such as players behaving badly on the piss, or players betting on games etc then surely having betting agencies and alcohol producers as major backers of the game is counterproductive!!!
I Love to have a drink, dont really care about people having a bet, and im pretty laid back in regards to most things, but i juat think this situation is very hypocritical of the NRL and proves how out of touch they are with most things in the game.
But you haven't built a case why it is hypocritical beyond saying it is not a good look and inferring in some way that the refs are somehow influenced by what's written on their jumpers. I just don't get why anyone would think that corporate sponsorship is something to be concerned about. If it entitled them to seats on the board or have some sort of control activity then sure I'm right there with you but this is akin to saying you can't have black people or polys sponsoring the refs because they might favour those players. It just simply doesn't make sense.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It's bad now. I remember it was worse back in the days when that horrid Tom Waterhouse was on it. He made me want to throw rocks at the TV. Who also remembers the "Keno replay" FFS. Centrebet Stadium.

It just goes on and on. And on.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think it's match fixing, but rather match shaping.

If there was nothing suspect going on, and the NRL weren't in on it, then why would we see no serious action against refs constantly making mistakes.

In any other job you stuff up you get a warning, the and your out. In the NRL as a ref, you do that and get awarded state of origin duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.