TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Stuart set to drop Raiders duo for round one
Author Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter
Thu 11 Feb 2021, 03:04 PM

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart said he was unlikely to pick forwards Corey Horsburgh and Corey Harawira-Naera in round one after they were recently involved in off-field incidents.

Stuart said while the pair will both have their day in court, he added they had ultimately left their positions in the 17 in severe jeopardy.

Horsburgh will appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on February 23 to face a charge of low-range drink-driving over an alleged incident on Christmas Eve.

Harawira-Naera will also appear in the ACT Magistrates Court - he has been charged with high-range drink-driving over an alleged incident on Christmas Day. He is due to appear on March 25.

"It is disappointing but it's not my job to be keeping their spot in the 17," Stuart said on Thursday.

"That's their job and they've made it harder for themselves. They're upset with themselves and have put themselves on the back foot.

"They know it was a bad choice. I've left it, they've got their court cases pending.

"We've got others in the footy team I've got to try get ready for game one. It won't be a disturbance. There will be somebody else there to take their spot.

"We've got plenty of depth and it just gives somebody else an opportunity."

UPDATE

Stuart's options in the forward pack to replace the duo includes new recruit Ryan James and Emre Guler, who have both overcome injuries.

Englishman Ryan Sutton is also among those who will be pushing for a spot in round one.

The Raiders coach will get a better indication of where his squad is at when the club hosts the Roosters in their only pre-season trial at Seiffert Oval on February 27.

"We keep changing our off-seasons up and are always looking to keep adding and finding that extra one percent," Stuart said.

"Where these guys have given themselves an advantage is that they did work away on their break.

"This is the stage of the off-season now they're excited that footy is around the corner."

Go Dogs

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hmmm... CHN trying to derail another teams season before it begins. Too bad he's not that important to the Raiders, they're stacked in the forwards and he's a benchy.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
DRINK DRIVING...JUST PLAIN STUPIDITY!! I couldn’t give two hoots about his footy career. I have had 2 very close friends killed by drunk drivers, one got hit by the car while crossing a green light and the other got hit straight in the drivers door while coming back from work. She was only 29! He is lucky I am not the coach because I would have banned him for the whole season!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
DRINK DRIVING...JUST PLAIN STUPIDITY!! I couldn’t give two hoots about his footy career. I have had 2 very close friends killed by drunk drivers, one got hit by the car while crossing a green light and the other got hit straight in the drivers door while coming back from work. She was only 29! He is lucky I am not the coach because I would have banned him for the whole season!
A friend who played on my basketball team got a scholarship to play for a university in the US. He moved there, meet a girl and was excited about his future in the US. One night, He and his girlfriend went out to dinner and to the movies. Walking his girlfriend back home a drunk driver drove up on the footpath straight towards them. My friend managed to push his girlfriend out of the way but he was unfortunately killed in the process of protecting her.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A friend who played on my basketball team got a scholarship to play for a university in the US. He moved there, meet a girl and was excited about his future in the US. One night, He and his girlfriend went out to dinner and to the movies. Walking his girlfriend back home a drunk driver drove up on the footpath straight towards them. My friend managed to push his girlfriend out of the way but he was unfortunately killed in the process of protecting her.
That is so very sad!