Storm Scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rodski also claimed that although the members of the previously well-behaved side were "extremely remorseful and embarrassed", they had also let the club's proud "standards slip".

Club owner Tripp echoed Rodski's views by suggesting that the Storm's "strong culture" had been "tarnished".

So the other indiscretions of the past were not tarnishing the clubs name. Drugs, alcohol, secondary contracts, betting......just a few little hiccups.....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

The NRL has handed out more than $50,000 in fines following a series of off-field dramas that overshadowed the final week of the season.

Melbourne players Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Chris Lewis have been hit with a breach notice following the white-powder scandal that engulfed the Storm last week. It proposes to ban each of the Storm players for one match.

New Zealand's Reece Walsh has also been sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute, after he was arrested and charged with cocaine possession on the Gold Coast. Walsh has been hit with a two-match ban.

The breach notices propose a $30,000 fine for Munster, while Smith has been fined $15,000 and Lewis $4000, with each player to miss the opening match of the 2022 premiership.

Walsh has been fined $5000 and suspended for two matches.

All four players will be required to complete education and training as directed by the NRL.

FMD, talk about being hit with a feather, those Melbourne farkers get away with so much shit.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

All players have five working days to respond to the breach notices before any final penalties are announced.

Always a Bulldog

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fox Sports with quality reporting -

The NRL has come down hard on Melbourne trio Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Chris Lewis in handing down punishments for the white powder video scandal.

The NRL has issued Melbourne Storm Players Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Chris Lewis with Breach Notices alleging they brought the game into disrepute.

The Breach Notices propose Munster is fined $30,000 and suspended for 1 match, Smith is fined $15,000 and suspended for 1 match, Lewis is fined $4000 and suspended for 1 match and all three are required to complete education and training as directed by the NRL.

In what respect? From a dollar figure perspective? Cause it certainly isn't from a time out of the game perspective.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the Storm are such a terrific club - they would impose a longer in-house suspension on top of the NRL..

Over to you Bellamy

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
A one match suspension?

Are they kidding?
Yep, they'll make sure not to do it again with that sort of savage punishment. Fucking joke really.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
If the Storm are such a terrific club - they would impose a longer in-house suspension on top of the NRL..

Over to you Bellamy
We've already seen when they only gave Jesse Bromwich 2 weeks for racking up whereas the Titans gave Proctor double that. The Storm are happy to be grubs who talk the talk but don't walk the walk when it comes to their players fucking up. Helps keep their culture-myth afloat.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

NRL: Brandon Smith devastated as his family cops criticism over leaked footage
A Melbourne Storm star has lifted the lid on the unfortunate toll his appearance in the leaked videos has taken on his family as the fallout continues.

Melbourne Storm star Brandon Smith cut a devastated figure as he revealed his family has copped intense backlash over his involvement in the NRL’s latest scandal. Smith, alongside Storm teammates Cameron Munster and Chris Lewis, appeared in a leaked video last Monday, with Smith depicted with a white powder in the footage.

The videos emerged just hours before the second night of the Dally M Awards and also in the week leading up to the NRL Grand Final.

In a press conference on Tuesday, the 25-year-old hooker was deeply remorseful for his actions, but did not believe his family deserved to bear the brunt of any criticism directed their way.

“I know I let a lot of people down, especially my family,” Smith said “I’m sorry for the criticism all of you guys have received throughout this over social media platforms.

“This is probably the hardest thing I’ll have to deal with, because I know that my actions don’t reflect how I was raised as a kid and I just don’t think they deserve to cop any of it.

“I know that I’m a good person with good intentions and a good heart, and I also know that these are just words. “But I don’t want you to judge me on my words, rather judge me on the actions I take moving forward from this. “I’ll be working closely with the wellbeing team to address any behaviorual (sic) issues to ensure I don’t put myself in a comprimising (sic) position in the future.”

In the wake of the footage being released, ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys did not believe the sport had a drug problem.

The Storm trio’s incident came just days after New Zealand Warriors star Reece Walsh was arrested in Surfers Paradise and also in possession of cocaine.

Smith noted his actions only added fuel to the fire for the sport’s detractors, but was grateful for a strong support network helping him deal with his actions. “I hate that I have added to the stereotype of players, but I thank the NRL for understanding that I’m just a young man who made a poor mistake by putting myself in the situation I did,” Smith said. “I would never intentionally try to harm the game”.

“To the Melbourne Storm, I deeply regret the trouble I have caused to the club, and all of our amazing sponsors and partners. “To our board, staff, old boys, members, especially our fans, I am sorry.

Reap what you sow Brandon, hopefully you have learnt a lesson.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Media Release: October 5, 2021
melbournestorm.com.au

Melbourne Storm players Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Chris Lewis have today accepted the NRL and Club sanctions handed down following investigations into a video involving the players after the preliminary final loss last week.

All three players have accepted full responsibility for their actions which resulted in the NRL serving each with a breach notice under the Code of Conduct.
  • Cameron Munster – official breach notice, $30,000 fine, one NRL match suspension
  • Brandon Smith - official breach notice, $15,000 fine, one NRL match suspension
  • Chris Lewis - official breach notice, $4,000 fine, one NRL match suspension
In addition to the NRL sanctions, the three players have accepted Club enforced actions that will take effect immediately. These actions include:

Cameron Munster
  • $100,000 (suspended) fine
  • Additional behavioural conditions as part of a disciplinary action agreement
  • Stood down from the Senior Leadership Group
  • Will enter and complete a four-week rehabilitation program
  • Will abstain from alcohol for a period of 12 months
  • Consultation with club medical team and health professionals to individualise a comprehensive ongoing welfare program
Brandon Smith
  • $50,000 (suspended) fine
  • Stood down from the Emerging Leadership Group
  • Consultation with club medical team and health professionals to individualise a comprehensive ongoing welfare program
Chris Lewis
  • $10,000 (suspended) fine
  • Will assist with the development of a new education program for our young NRL talent and elite pathway programs
All three players will have individualised welfare support and action plans developed in consultation with Storm medical and health professionals.

The players will formally apologise to Storm staff in person when they return to training and will record individual messages for Club members and partners.

Importantly, they will record a video message to apologise to the other 213 past players and Melbourne Old Boys who have pulled on the Storm jersey and set the foundations of this club over 23 years.

They will be required to spend time with all Storm pathway programs, providing coaching and education for young men and women entering the elite sporting system.

In addition, they will all be required to support community-based programs such as ‘In League In Harmony’ and youth programs in partnership with local government partners and local rugby league clubs.

Storm CEO, Justin Rodski, said the players had accepted all penalties handed to them by the NRL and club.

"This has been an incredibly challenging and disappointing period for everyone involved in our club," Rodski said.

"The decisions of these three players have hurt a lot of people and the players have broken the trust of the club and the game.

"The players are genuinely remorseful for what has happened. They have made a significant error in judgement, and they are here today to own their decisions and take responsibility for their actions.

"The players know they are on notice, they all have significant fines hanging over their head, and face significant consequences for any future indiscretion, no matter how big or small.

"They are hurting and have already suffered significant embarrassment and shame over the last week. But importantly, they are not hiding from the issue and have committed to taking necessary steps to address their behaviour and mental health to ensure they make better decisions in the future and can influence others to also make better choices in life."
CEO Justin Rodski

"As a club, we are committed to holding our players accountable for their actions, but we will also provide them with the right support they need to correct their behaviour.

"Ultimately, we have a duty of care to our players and want to see them contributing in a meaningful way to the game, the club and the community, both on and off the field." Rodski said.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Cameron Munster to enter rehab as Storm trio punished for white powder video scandal

The NRL has handed down its punishment to three stars who were involved in a white powder video scandal after their season ended.

The NRL has handed down breach notices to the Melbourne Storm trio involved in a video scandal as their punishments were revealed.
Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Chris Lewis were seen in a video that appeared to show them in a room with white powder after the Storm’s loss to Penrith in the preliminary final.

The video emerged just hours before the Dally M Awards last week.

The Storm released a statement today confirming the players have accepted the proposed sanctions from the NRL, which include a one-match suspension each. Additionally, Munster cops a $30,000 fine, Smith is docked $15,000 and Lewis will be $4000 lighter in the hip pocket.

In a statement, the NRL said “the fines proposed take into account the varying salaries of each individual”, while the players will also need to complete education and training at the direction of the league’s governing body.

The NRL also slapped New Zealand Warriors whiz-kid Reece Walsh with a breach notice after the teenager admitted to being caught by police in possession of cocaine last month.

He faces a $5000 fine and two-match suspension for bringing the game into disrepute.

Munster’s revelation as further sanctions revealed

In addition to the bans and fines handed down by the NRL, Melbourne has imposed its own penalties on Munster, Smith and Lewis.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Munster revealed he would enter a four-week rehabilitation program to deal with his “difficult relationship with alcohol”.

“I know I have let a lot of people down and I will do whatever it takes to restore faith in me. I want all kids out there to know that my behaviour was not OK,” he said.

As part of the club-imposed punishment, Munster has been stood down from the Storm’s leadership group, will agree to additional behavioural conditions and will abstain from alcohol for 12 months.

He has also been slapped with a huge $100,000 suspended fine, which will be paid in the event of another disciplinary breach.

Smith has been removed from Melbourne’s emerging leadership group and received a $50,000 suspended fine, while Lewis cops a $10,000 suspended fine.

In its statement, Melbourne added: “All three players will have individualised welfare support and action plans developed in consultation with Storm medical and health professionals.

“The players will formally apologise to Storm staff in person when they return to training and will record individual messages for club members and partners.

“Importantly, they will record a video message to apologise to the other 213 past players and Melbourne Old Boys who have pulled on the Storm jersey and set the foundations of this club over 23 years.”

At the press conference, Smith said: “I know I’m a good person, but I don’t want you to judge me on my words. I want you to judge me on the actions I take in the future.”

Storm boss, NRL CEO weigh in

Melbourne CEO Justin Rodski said the decisions of Smith, Munster and Lewis had “broken the trust of the club and the game”, but the Storm were committed to supporting them to “correct their behaviour”.

“The players are genuinely remorseful for what has happened. They have made a significant error in judgment, and they are here today to own their decisions and take responsibility for their actions,” Rodski said.

“The players know they are on notice, they all have significant fines hanging over their head, and face significant consequences for any future indiscretion, no matter how big or small.”

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo also released a statement on the penalties dished out today.

“I understand that players have endured a long season under strict protocols,” he said. “However, there is no excuse for the behaviour we have seen over the past week.

“The players have let themselves, their clubs and the rugby league community down.

“These sanctions are designed to include an element of rehabilitation and development as well as having consequences for the individual and team.”

Surely Munster has to be on his last "get out of gaol card", one more fark up and he is gonsky.

Always a Bulldog

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolute piss take. Melbourne literally get half the suspensions of other teams.
Bromwwich and Proctor get caught racking up - Proctor 4 weeks Bromwwich 2 weeks.
Walsh gets caught in possession of coke, 2 weeks.
Munster, Smith and Lewis strongly implicated for cocaine use, 1 week.
The nrlol are a fucking joke.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In addition to the NRL sanctions, the three players have accepted Club enforced actions that will take effect immediately. These actions include:

Cameron Munster
  • $100,000 (suspended) fine
  • Stood down from the Senior Leadership Group
  • Will enter and complete a four-week rehabilitation program
  • Will abstain from alcohol for a period of 12 months
Brandon Smith
  • $50,000 (suspended) fine
  • Stood down from the Emerging Leadership Group
Chris Lewis
  • $10,000 (suspended) fine
  • Will assist with the development of a new education program for our young NRL talent and elite pathway programs
All three players will have individualised welfare support and action plans developed in consultation with Storm medical and health professionals.
Yep. The Storm have come down heavy........one of the players is a habitual offender and surely must be on his last chance, another a player who is worth keeping and gives the side a good go forward, the other a player nearing the end of a career...

All monetary fines are suspended and no suspension from playing. On top of the paltry NRL punishment all together a great result for the Storm....

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
at least munster has been ordered off to rehab for alcohol, said in earlier post that's what he needed

Status
Not open for further replies.