STORM NOT LETTING STAR HOOKER GO ANYWHERE

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I remember that stupid thing he did on channel 9, "yeah I spoke to Trent and he offered me $900k for 3 games" or whatever he said. I get he's a bit of a clown and I'm sure he would have grown on me if he wore the blue and white but I doubt he ever wanted to. There's not too many decent options on the market that's for sure.
He's a dickhead honestly. Good for a laugh, but he has the luxury of doing that given his success. Imagine how people would react to him if he was in a battling side for years. Would rub people the wrong way like Nathan Peats lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What's he on at the moment do you think? 400k maybe? Won't waiting and extra year (2022) at the storm cost him atleast the same amount again and to play in a position he has said he doesn't want? Wasn't there reports that the expansion might wait until 2024 now due to Covid? So there's another 400k. Could cost him 800k or more waiting on Bellamy and a new Brissie club. Doesn't sound educated to me.
I don't believe that it is at all unusual for players to play for $200k+ less under Bellamy. That's how they get $12m worth of players to play for $9.7m, everyone is expected (demanded) to take a ~20% haircut on their true worth. Ignoring the personal income tax averaging that BSmith is undoubtedly entitled to, he could loose up to 40% of any extra he gets paid in tax. So the "spending money" difference is not as big as it sounds.

Take Finucane as an example, possibly offered around $350k to $400k to stay at the Storm (plus ~$50k for being Co Captain) and worth $500k to $550k, it took $625k to get him to Cronulla. How much is in the Cap and how much is outside is a can of worms not worth opening for this discussion.

They are both contracted for next year and as such they get paid what their current contracts say. Grant is contracted for next season PLUS a Melbourne option for 2023 which they will undoubtedly exercise, unless his injury woes continue. He's primed to take advantage of the new Brisbane team in 2024 or go home to North Qld since Granville's contract is up in 2023 (the year he turns 34).

I don't see Bellamy staying beyond next year, so for 1 year BSmith gets underpaid in the back rower to hooker stakes PLUS underpaid in the typical Melbourne fashion, but he could get a pay rise on what he is currently on. Realistically he has no choice for next year, take the pay rise if offered and concentrate on 2023 (which in BSmith's case is the only "extra year").

My guess is when Bellamy actually announces officially that he is staying for another year that he will also announce that it is definitely his last year. So there is no doubt in anyone's mind about 2023, he simply won't be there. Who stays and who goes then depends somewhat on who they appoint as the new head coach. I expect to se a flurry of activity from Melbourne locking up players so that they don't suffer from a mass exodus at the end of next year, especially since they only have 2 players contracted past 2023.

Always a Bulldog

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Now Finucane is gone a decision could be made soon.
It is ironic that Bronson Garlick has signed with the Storm. He played many a game at hooker for the Dogs in NSW Cup....why do Storm want another Hooker? I think that Smith will go to lock, grant will be first drop hooker and Garlick may make an appearance from the bench as a back up. Pretty handy try scorer as well...

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storm coach Craig Bellamy has agreed to stay with the Storm as coach for the next two years and could remain at the club beyond then.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield told NRL360 on Fox League that Bellamy had the scope to stay at the club for at least five years, with the potential to move upstairs at the Storm.

Forget about B Smith moving now.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Storm coach Craig Bellamy has agreed to stay with the Storm as coach for the next two years and could remain at the club beyond then.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield told NRL360 on Fox League that Bellamy had the scope to stay at the club for at least five years, with the potential to move upstairs at the Storm.

Forget about B Smith moving now.
It's not looking promising for us and Smith but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably doesn't help Bellamy re signing but it will come down to who is starting at hooker which is still likely Grant, or if not we divert our focus to him.
See what happens, I would still assume Smith would still rather earn up to 300k a year more for a few years at least.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
We just handed them remis smith for nothing.. I love the selfish acts of clubs we should now be the same.

although losing finucane I think we have the players they could want to replace finucane..
Elliott yo

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just need to move on. Sick of waiting on Brandon smith. Surely we can find a good hooker elsewhere.
I agree, we are wasting our time. Look everywhere else. The English League, Brisbane Comp, New Zealand. Surely their is someone with talent who hasn’t either been discovered and isn’t getting a chance to shine at another club.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is why would he leave, there is no club that will give him the same chance for a title than staying at the Storm.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My question is why would he leave, there is no club that will give him the same chance for a title than staying at the Storm.
Wins another this year even next year too..that's 3 in a line how many you wanna win? That vs the folding stuff and not peanuts either half a million net at least over just 3 years....Nash is right money wins especially once winning comps gets old imo too.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The first step is to sign him for 2023. Then there’s plenty of time

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wins another this year even next year too..that's 3 in a line how many you wanna win? That vs the folding stuff and not peanuts either half a million net at least over just 3 years....Nash is right money wins especially once winning comps gets old imo too.
He might not earn as much in direct salary by staying, but success brings sponsorships and rep jerseys, so there’s usually enough financial incentive for players in successful clubs to stay.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He might not earn as much in direct salary by staying, but success brings sponsorships and rep jerseys, so there’s usually enough financial incentive for players in successful clubs to stay.
Still gets the sponsorships elsewhere too, and as he is a kiwi is a bigger MORAL than Winx to have their 9 jersey for the next 6 years mate...once u win 3 premierships, 4 or 5 doesn't really matter a lot nor does it buy you xtra investment properties or set you up better financially that's my point.
I know a few stayed their whole careers but they were spine players if he is not he is imo far from a lock to stay for the reasons I have stated.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Still gets the sponsorships elsewhere too, and as he is a kiwi is a bigger MORAL than Winx to have their 9 jersey for the next 6 years mate...once u win 3 premierships, 4 or 5 doesn't really matter a lot nor does it buy you xtra investment properties or set you up better financially that's my point.
I know a few stayed their whole careers but they were spine players if he is not he is imo far from a lock to stay for the reasons I have stated.
Fair enough. Well he should be on the move come 2023 then.