STORM NOT LETTING STAR HOOKER GO ANYWHERE

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Storm hooker Brandon Smith is set to stay with Melbourne and see out his contract until the end of 2022 at least.

Smith has been linked to the Bulldogs and Titans after requesting a release from the club to pursue a starting role at a rival club given Harry Grant's long-term mortgage on the Storm No.9 jersey.

However The Daily Telegraph reported the Storm are keen to keep Smith in light of Dale Finucane’s decision to join the Sharks on a four-year deal.

The Storm were originally willing to let Smith leave if they could agree on a suitable player swap with an NRL rival.

However given Smith covers the lock position, Finucane’s departure has made him even more vital for the club moving forward.

The 25-year-old cult hero has scored 10 tries in 17 games for the Storm this season and has started the bulk of the games at hooker in light of Grant’s injury troubles that have restricted him to just seven appearances.

The Storm are set to use the money freed up by Finucane’s departure to help secure Smith’s signature for the long-term.

Smith has scored 18 tries in 79 games for the Storm since his debut in 2017 and has also scored two tries in seven Tests for New Zealand.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was never happening. I honestly believe we tried but I think the kid was taking the piss and loved the media attention, he always wanted to stay with Melbourne (as long as Bellamy is there anyway). I'm happier that Gould is here now and we will look for another solution, we're not moving ahead with JMK as our first option.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Was never happening. I honestly believe we tried but I think the kid was taking the piss and loved the media attention, he always wanted to stay with Melbourne (as long as Bellamy is there anyway). I'm happier that Gould is here now and we will look for another solution, we're not moving ahead with JMK as our first option.
Yeah I think he was taking the piss aswell mate or atleast hoping his price would increase even further. Actually the way he was acting was rubbing me the wrong way TBH. It annoys me we give over Reimis for nothing though. I said a little while ago we need to move on from Cheese dik.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I think he was taking the piss aswell mate or atleast hoping his price would increase even further. Actually the way he was acting was rubbing me the wrong way TBH. It annoys me we give over Reimis for nothing though. I said a little while ago we need to move on from Cheese dik.
I remember that stupid thing he did on channel 9, "yeah I spoke to Trent and he offered me $900k for 3 games" or whatever he said. I get he's a bit of a clown and I'm sure he would have grown on me if he wore the blue and white but I doubt he ever wanted to. There's not too many decent options on the market that's for sure.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Move on,I would rather jahrome Hughes their 5/8,he’s the lynchpin to all their attack great kicking game,for me I would pay big money for,and offer 2 players to land him.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are still in for 23’. We may not end up with him of course, but be assured we are still in the convo for 23’.

ehat would be nice if we offered Adam Idiott +1.6 mil (we’d have to compensate in the negatives for anyone to take that clown off us)

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are still in for 23’. We may not end up with him of course, but be assured we are still in the convo for 23’.

ehat would be nice if we offered Adam Idiott +1.6 mil (we’d have to compensate in the negatives for anyone to take that clown off us)
Topine has some realy good traits as footballer, such as willingness, loyality, agressivness toughmess youth and a good motor,.
He is not big enough to be a good let alone a great middle or edge Forward.
So why not train him for the 9 role, even if we have to go cap in hand to someone like Ennis for help.
I'd bet that Bellamy would turn him into something like B Smith within afew years.
From far away the only great traits I see for a 9 is a good passing game, able to defend and able to play eyes up to know when to run.
I'm sure that Bellamy has been able to turn average players into great ones, by been able to identify their tallents and developing them.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My view, BSmith has been waiting on Bellamy's decision whether he stays on for next year or not, which is somewhat related to the timing of the new SE Qld team. Perhaps just as importantly who replaces Bellamy when it happens, because that's not exactly a clear cut decision either. Whatever Bellamy has told/promised him may not actually happen under the new coach. Plus the "Bellamy discount" that players are forced to pay (in their contract) will no longer be a factor is comparing contract values.

Nothing whatsoever to do with ego or piss taking, in BSmith's position I would do exactly the same, listen to his manager and wait for the dust to settle and then make an educated decision on what is obviously going to be a big money, long term contract.

Always a Bulldog

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a dumb article. Smith's decision will hinge on whether he wants to play 9 or lock (not on what the Storm want). If he's happy playing lock for the rest of his career then obviously he'll stay at the Storm. If not then we simply sign the loser in the hooker shootout. I'd be happy with either Grant or Smith. The only issue is the new Brisbane side could complicate things for us.

As other have mentioned, now that Gus is on board I'm sure we'll find someone else if we miss out on both. BBO or Ghantous could be our answer in the long term. In the short term, we might be stuck with JMK as our starting hooker....yuk

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
My view, BSmith has been waiting on Bellamy's decision whether he stays on for next year or not, which is somewhat related to the timing of the new SE Qld team. Perhaps just as importantly who replaces Bellamy when it happens, because that's not exactly a clear cut decision either. Whatever Bellamy has told/promised him may not actually happen under the new coach. Plus the "Bellamy discount" that players are forced to pay (in their contract) will no longer be a factor is comparing contract values.

Nothing whatsoever to do with ego or piss taking, in BSmith's position I would do exactly the same, listen to his manager and wait for the dust to settle and then make an educated decision on what is obviously going to be a big money, long term contract.

Always a Bulldog
What's he on at the moment do you think? 400k maybe? Won't waiting and extra year (2022) at the storm cost him atleast the same amount again and to play in a position he has said he doesn't want? Wasn't there reports that the expansion might wait until 2024 now due to Covid? So there's another 400k. Could cost him 800k or more waiting on Bellamy and a new Brissie club. Doesn't sound educated to me.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storm won't be offering him probably more than 600K to play lock. Finucane was on less I believe. If we offer Cheese 800K or more you would think he'd still come for 2023. I don't think we have anyone the Storm would swap for for 2022.

We should also chase Blayke Brailey for 2023

Last edited: