News Storm legend Cameron Smith drops another hint about NRL playing future

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

In another indication he may not return for another NRL season in 2021, Storm legend Cameron Smith has revealed he would not sign a new deal with Melbourne if it resulted in rising stars Harry Grant or Brandon Smith going to rival clubs.

In his new book, The Storm Within, the premiership-winning captain said he had spoken to coach Craig Bellamy during the season about the importance of having both players on deck to solidify the club's future after he's gone.

"There's no way I'm re-signing for another 12 months if the club is going to lose either Harry or Brandon. I don't want to see the club struggle in the long term just so I can play one more season," he writes in an extract published in The Daily Telegraph.

"I was well aware of Brandon Smith's and Harry Grant's situations.

"And I knew that if I chose to play on in Melbourne, it would be hard for the Storm to retain all three of us, even though the club had said time and time again that it could.

"I appreciated that Brandon and Harry were building careers of their own. Brandon has established himself as the New Zealand No. 9, and Harry played 2020 with the Wests Tigers, where he had a standout season."

Smith, acknowledged the outstanding job the club's recruitment team had done while explaining why a call on his future has taken so long to thrash out.

"I just didn't know," he says.

"I don't know how to explain it.
"I just didn't feel the decline at any stage of that 2020 season. If anything, I felt better than I ever had, in all aspects of my footy.

"I loved waking up and knowing I had to train. I enjoyed getting in there and competing with the younger players. I even enjoyed getting into the gym.

"All I could do, as the weirdest of seasons reached its climax, was concentrate on what I could control — and that was playing good football.

"The matter could have become a distraction if we allowed it to, but we didn't. We just did what we always do at the Storm — get on with business. My decision would take care of itself."

Smith is yet to hang up the boots officially and has been linked to a switch to the Gold Coast this year.

The Storm legend's children reportedly attend school in the area and legendary hooker is said to have looked at property in the area.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There's still only one hooker position at the Storm. If B. Smith wants to play hooker (and/or get hooker money) there's still an issue there. I'd love to see C. Smith at the Titans or Broncos to see what he can do there. I still think he's a top 3 player in the game.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he decides to play on we should move heaven and earth to get the grub.
I dislike him immensely, but fuck he'd look great in blue and white.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The prick loves the media attention of lately lmao
He craves the spotlight like an out of work stripper with saggy tits......I see this as nothing more than a stall tactic on his and Melbourne's behalf waiting for rival teams to finalize their top 30 rosters and max out their caps for the 2021 season. Of course he is going to sign on with the Storm again, I can't see him going anywhere but staying with the storm. His the prima donna of the Melbourne football club and the love child of the NRL. This is my opinion and no animals were hurt while writing this post :grinning:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be giving his book a miss as I doubt it will cover any of the topics I want him to talk about. If its anything like Andrew Johns bio, it will be filled with self-indulgent crap.