News Storm in sell-off mode to keep skipper Smith

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It won’t happen but we could always dream of Smith getting fed up and looking at other clubs. Imagine if we replaced Klemmer with Smith? Our play would improve drastically

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Ummm... how on Earth is Smith still considered the best player in the world? He couldn't even guide Melbourne to victory over a 12-man Roosters side in the Grand Final... they never once looked like scoring, and their only try came off a Roosters error and Addo-Carr was never going to get caught against the run of play!
I wouldn’t say Smith is the best player in the world atm but he is no doubt top 5 or top 3 and has been for the last 10 years. Roosters just tackled harder and ran harder in the GF, can’t just blame Smith for that loss there are 16 other players in a team. Smith gets a heap of hate but can’t deny he is one of the best to lace up a pair of boots

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How selfish is smith are people serious? Hes best player in the game in his last years he deserves to be paid well and unlike klemmer he hasnt tried to go to another club
Yeah 100% I am serious. All the money he has made, the extra testimonial gigs he did. He might be one of the best players to run on the field but that is no excuse for all the grubby shit he has done over the years, the special treatment he receives and so on.

To push a younger guy out of your team so you can make a last money grab is selfish. It's not like he is going broke any time soon. I'm sure we will unfortunately be seeing him in the media in some way ovce he is retired.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How selfish is smith are people serious? Hes best player in the game in his last years he deserves to be paid well and unlike klemmer he hasnt tried to go to another club
Him & JT got a testimonial & the money wasn't under the salary cap.

Other clubs weren't given that luxury.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheyse Blair would be a really handy pick-up. He was awesome for the storm when Chambers was suspended.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Chambers is 31 next year and a complete shitstain on and off the field.
I'm more than okay with that if he came cheap and on a short term deal. Obviously not going to happen.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol @ kasiano.
Where are all the people in here who said we’d regret letting him go and that Bellamy would turn him into the greatest prop ever ?
Call Melbourne, get finnucane back.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see the same player utility in Napa as I do kas.

If one comes with freight being paid, I am good to go with kas.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Courier Mail are reporting that Storm are only willing to offer Cam Smith a 1 year extension. According to their reporting, Cam Smith has told the Storm that he wants 2 years or he'll walk.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Courier Mail are reporting that Storm are only willing to offer Cam Smith a 1 year extension. According to their reporting, Cam Smith has told the Storm that he wants 2 years or he'll walk.
I’d take Smith for two years
He’s better than Lichaa a million times over

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne are attempting to offload players in order to free up the funds required to meet Cameron Smith’s seven-figure asking price.

The development comes as Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr expressed an interest in taking over from retiring superstar Billy Slater at fullback.

Million-dollar man: Storm captain Cameron Smith's future remains clouded.
Million-dollar man: Storm captain Cameron Smith's future remains clouded.NRL Photos

Smith, still arguably the best player in the world at the age of 35, was not part of the 27-man squad the club named earlier this month. The Storm skipper remains unsigned seven weeks after the grand final loss to the Roosters, with the parties yet to come to terms ahead of his scheduled return to pre-season.

Fairfax Media can reveal Melbourne are attempting to move on several contracted players in a bid to extend Smith’s career into an 18th season. Former New Zealand international Sam Kasiano, fellow forward Patrick Kaufusi and utility back Cheyse Blair are among the players the club is willing to release to free up the funds required to allow Smith to become the first man to break the magical 400-game mark.

Kasiano is the biggest-name player deemed surplus to requirements. The former Bulldog still has two years to go on his Melbourne contract, but the club is prepared to pay a portion of his freight should another club attempt to accommodate him. It is understood the Warriors have expressed some interest, although their own salary cap issues mean a player swap is probably their best chance of fitting him in.

At his best, Kasiano is one of the most destructive front-rowers in the game. However, he made just 14 appearances in an injury-plagued first season at the Storm.

The Melbourne hierarchy is still hopeful Smith will lead them into the 2019 season, although it is understood there are some third-party arrangements that need to be resolved. The Victorian outfit desperately needs his experience after losing superstars Cooper Cronk and Slater in the space of 12 months and can ill afford to lose another marquee man.

Addo-Carr said he was hopeful a deal will be struck shortly.

“I haven’t spoken to Smithy since Mad Monday, he’s having a good time with his family,” Addo-Carr said.

“I suppose a decision will come up in the next couple of weeks. It depends on how happy he is and I believe he is happy.

“I hope he signs for the next five years. He is the best player in the world. It depends on how his body pulls up. I’ve got no doubt he’ll play.”

The Storm’s other retention priority is Cameron Munster. The Queensland and Australian representative is off contract but has agreed to terms on a new long-term deal. That has left the Storm with little wiggle room in the cap, even after the departure of Tim Glasby to Newcastle and the retirements of Ryan Hoffman and Slater.

Coach Craig Bellamy faces a huge call on who will replace Slater in the No.1 jersey. While Munster plays his representative football at pivot he is viable option, as is Jahrome Hughes and Ryan Papenhuyzen. A left-field alternative is Addo-Carr, with the NSW winger revealing he would be amenable to the move.

“I’d love to take up the challenge,” Addo-Carr said.

“It depends on what the coaches want, if the coaches said to trial at fullback, I will.

“I’ve played everywhere in the back line. No one can compete with Billy, you’ve got to be very fit to play fullback.

“I don’t see why not. The coaches can chuck me in at fullback at training and I’ll see how I go.“We’ve got Scott Drinkwater and Jahrome Hughes coming through who play fullback, so I’m happy where I’m at. If the coach wants me to play fullback, I’ll play fullback.”

We should honestly forget about spending klemmers money on Napa, and instead save it and bring Kasiano back on the cheap and since storm are willing to chip in, plus I think Kasiano offers more then Napa for the similar minutes and a lot cheaper, and the rest of klems money can be spent else where.
Kasiano is an unfit liability when considering the amount of minutes he would be required to play. Only good for 30-40 mins off the bench. Although I would take him back as (like I just mentioned) a bench impact player.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
TBH, as much as I dislike him, if there is one player that has shown he could handle footy at 37, it's him, even at dummy half.

Two years or I’m out: Cam Smith’s Storm ultimatum revealed
Cameron Smith has reportedly shocked the Storm by declaring he wants to play on past 2019. But he may quit immediately if the club doesn’t meet his terms.

Joe McDonough
FOX SPORTSNOVEMBER 21, 20186:15PM

Cameron Smith reportedly wants a two-year contract extension. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins)Source:AAP

Cameron Smith is reportedly chasing a two-year contract extension at the Melbourne Storm.

The Courier Mail understands the out-of-contract champion wants to play on until the end of the 2020 season.

There is also speculation the Storm captain — who remains without a formal contract for the 2019 season — could hang up the boots immediately if the club doesn’t agree to his two-year demand.

Storm football operations chief Frank Ponissi said negotiations are continuing, and suggested the club may bend to his wishes.

“Cameron has been given time off until January and we are in no rush. I have no doubt his new deal will get done in time,” Ponissi told The Courier Mail.

“There’s no real reason for the hold up. We’re still in negotiations and sometimes contract talks take time, but it’s not a sign that Cam won’t be here.

“I would be very, very surprised if Cameron doesn’t play on.

“Cameron is enjoying his first long break in a long time with no World Cup and representative commitments at the end of the season.

“This is the first real off-season that he’s ever had, so we will let him enjoy the off-season and he will come back in the first week in January.”

Fox League commentator Dan Ginnane believes it could become a case of the Storm keeping either Smith or Cameron Munster — the Immortal-in-waiting v the Kangaroos and Maroons five-eighth.

“They want to do a deal with Cam Munster. They had as far as I understand come to terms with Munster but that deal hasn’t been signed and now it’s starting to make sense as to why,” Ginnane said on Fox Sports News.

“If this becomes a situation we can only afford Munster of Cam Smith then the Storm have a very, very serious problem because Cam Smith is their now but Cam Munster is their future. It’s a huge story if it doesn’t get sorted quickly.”

The Daily Telegraph reported in September that Smith had already agreed to an extension through the 2019 season for approximately $1 million, however nothing was officially signed.

Smith has retired from representative football and would be confident his durability would allow him to handle the grind of the NRL past his 37th birthday.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we are resigned to losing Klemmer we need to make a play for Smith. He’s way better than what we have.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see Cam Smith playing for another team. If Storm don't re-sign him I say he will quit like he said unless he really wants to break Hazem's record. As I said I just don't see him playing for another club.

On another note I also don't give a fuck what Cam Smith does. I'll just be glad once he retires once and for all.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Is Brandon Smith prepared to wait another 2 years in Cams shadow?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
This is a joke. 2 years? He's going to be 37 FFS. Why doesn't he just count his coins and retire? He'll be a JT 2.0 and start showing signs of aging this year.