Storm and Roosters show how roster stability can underpin success

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Back in John Howard's time as pm he removed restrictions from monopolies owning a huge share of the media. So I think that even after Murdoch dies the rich will still find a way to funnel another group of spokespersons into the media ownership roles and the bias will go on.
Yeah guess you're right. While there's a buck and power totally influencing the population and decision makers, with no control or consequences, then it will continue forever more.

¿despair¿

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it! But can you name a viable third factor?
<3
Coach!

Number of matches refereed by a Sutton
Number of representative players in team
Number of captains in last x years
Average age of players

etc.,

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are far too many videos of cute animals, people doing stupid things etc for the bulk of the public to devote time to sorting out the fact from fiction in politics and world events. I think the liberals have really thrived since working that out. Any more than a three word slogan and it's too much like work for most people to care about.

Anyway I'm not going to take this further off track with politics. Like Btrainben said though. The media these days tend to be a mouthpiece for whichever biased group they want to represent. And that is both scary and ultimately sad.
True, no longer do they simply reports facts and information. Now it's either lying, exaggerating, sensationalising, misleading or when they have a conscience simply giving their personal opinions.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True, no longer do they simply reports facts and information. Now it's either lying, exaggerating, sensationalising, misleading or when they have a conscience simply giving their personal opinions.
While I do lack respect for mainstream journalists these days. I suspect that the majority of them have little choice in the views they put forward. The Murdoch's of the world didn't monopolize media ownership with a view to fairness for all. They did so because it's the surest way to exercise some power over the world for them.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
<3
Coach!

Number of matches refereed by a Sutton
Number of representative players in team
Number of captains in last x years
Average age of players

etc.,
All very worthy factors, but can their explanatory power be quantified? I'd not for a moment say that squad stability is the key ingredient, but that statistic shows that it almost certainly has at least some explanatory power.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All very worthy factors, but can their explanatory power be quantified? I'd not for a moment say that squad stability is the key ingredient, but that statistic shows that it almost certainly has at least some explanatory power.
To accurately assess the impact of each covariate, one would need to regress out their individual contribution to the overall variance.
>>or MDS or PCA via variance components analysis
A team's performance and overall result in a year would not be due to one overachieving factor, but rather myriad interacting variables; multifactorial.

As for squad stability, to me it is likely capturing a number of variables simply displayed on a regression plot for general consumption.
For a start, it would have been great for the NRL to actually publish a paper each year reviewing all available metrics.
Even better, publicise the data in open source platform for those to work wonders with it and provide their methods.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To accurately assess the impact of each covariate, one would need to regress out their individual contribution to the overall variance.
>>or MDS or PCA via variance components analysis
A team's performance and overall result in a year would not be due to one overachieving factor, but rather myriad interacting variables; multifactorial.

As for squad stability, to me it is likely capturing a number of variables simply displayed on a regression plot for general consumption.
For a start, it would have been great for the NRL to actually publish a paper each year reviewing all available metrics.
Even better, publicise the data in open source platform for those to work wonders with it and provide their methods.
SPSS, here we come?