No Source Stop Rewarding Unfaithful Players

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why does league keep unfaithful players at a junior and senior level. Not having a dig but most have Union in one hand and league in the other.
Joseph Sualii and now Isaiya Katoa coming out and saying he dreams of playing for all blacks. How disgraceful saying that in your first year.
All through junior reps these players were more and less throwing Union in their leagues club face they were playing for, missing training and games to play union. They are elite yes, but many other players of less calibre are doing the same, so clubs especially like Panthers will cut a loyal kid with around same ability to keep a kid with his finger in two pies.
NRL and clubs need to crack down on this at a junior level to start with and say one or the other especially by time they play Harold Matthews.
Start rewarding loyalty now and you wont have our players promoting Union.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why does league keep unfaithful players at a junior and senior level. Not having a dig but most have Union in one hand and league in the other.
Joseph Sualii and now Isaiya Katoa coming out and saying he dreams of playing for all blacks. How disgraceful saying that in your first year.
All through junior reps these players were more and less throwing Union in their leagues club face they were playing for, missing training and games to play union. They are elite yes, but many other players of less calibre are doing the same, so clubs especially like Panthers will cut a loyal kid with around same ability to keep a kid with his finger in two pies.
NRL and clubs need to crack down on this at a junior level to start with and say one or the other especially by time they play Harold Matthews.
Start rewarding loyalty now and you wont have our players promoting Union.
Good luck to him, the All Blacks are a near impossible team to crack unless your playing in their local Rugby comp where there’s 50 Isaiya Katoa’s

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Are you suggesting a, say, 15 year old has to be read the riot act and choose between sports? Meh. they're kids playing footy. Where/when i grew up, it wasn't unusual for guys to play three different codes each weekend.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Missing the point, No not good luck to him, stop ruining other loyal league players pathways.
And if he is doing this to push his price up, nrl should say to his and every other clubs no offers.
He is currently on $275k per year for 3 years, if nrl tells his manager thats all your getting for your next contact Union can have him. Stop kissing their asses at a young age.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are you suggesting a, say, 15 year old has to be read the riot act and choose between sports? Meh. they're kids playing footy. Where/when i grew up, it wasn't unusual for guys to play three different codes each weekend.
I did say by Harold Matthews
age. Put it this way Panthers had a big cry losing him.
Imagine how Dolphins are feeling now.
Its called don't bite the hand that feeds you..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kalyn Ponga also mentioned his dream of playing for the All Blacks years back but stayed in the NRL

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I always laugh at these players that say "oh it's a dream to play for the all blacks" in such a way that they think they can waltz in and make it.
Pretty tough squad to crack into whether their form is up or down.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I always laugh at these players that say "oh it's a dream to play for the all blacks" in such a way that they think they can waltz in and make it.
If they're a million dollar plus recruit, the emphasis on getting them into the team is there or it'd be a very embarrassing blunder for the game to have spent that much. So fair or not the more money spent on the player, I think the higher the odds of them playing at reo levels are.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL isn't concerned about Rugby or mass defections and players are allowed to speak freely. Those that grew up playing Rugby or dreaming of playing for the All Blacks are free to speak on Rugby when asked about it.

The majority say that and never switch codes. Even if they do, they often regret switching to Rugby. Which is why this is a massive storm in a teacup. There is zero threat of a mass exodus to Rugby.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If they're a million dollar plus recruit, the emphasis on getting them into the team is there or it'd be a very embarrassing blunder for the game to have spent that much. So fair or not the more money spent on the player, I think the higher the odds of them playing at reo levels are.
Yeah, i think a bit of that goes on with Rugby. They sign a high profile league player and it doesn't seem to be questioned that they will at least waltz straight into a Super Rugby side.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Madone, blocking pathways, making the assumption of players thinking they can just walk in to the AB's team and make it. These boys are athletes, Their mindsets are WIN, I am the best and all that shit. Plus their futures ain't guaranteed. You telling me an NRL club says "here is 600k stay with us", then Union goes "how about 1.6 million asshole" you ain't gonna take it ?? Let them go who gives a shit. And fuck me, what's the problem saying this is my dream or that is my dream ?? You ain't got dreams cupcake ? Also they rugby league players, IQ ain't that high and it's a fuckin game, it ain't that deep

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Origin should be about the best players in their positions. Keep politics out of it and IF JS is the best available player for his position than let him play.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My biggest issue is when they come back to league after they make there money in union our game opens our arms to them.

players like sbw, sailor,rogers ect. Get gigs in the media life after football..

maybe we as in nrl could talk to 9 and fox to not rewards these players with jobs in media if they go and play rugby.
Punishment yeah you go and make your money in union but you won’t be able to make money from our game after your career is over.

reward the loyal players who stick around not players who ditch the code for union to make more money.

sbw shouldn’t be anywhere near tv.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My issue is all these players that talk like that don’t want to play for the rugby league kiwis. They all pick origin! That pisses me off

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also Matty Johns having his love child Cooper Cronk and also Michael Chieka in his podcast show, really a union coach, why do that??. What a fckwit.
Must be thousands of ex league players or coaches you can have on your show.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Also Matty Johns having his love child Cooper Cronk and also Michael Chieka in his podcast show, really a union coach, why do that??. What a fckwit.
Must be thousands of ex league players or coaches you can have on your show.
Used to be a decent, interesting show when it first started. Now that it's just exclusively Cronk every week I haven't bothered to watch it at all.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are the all blacks really that good compared to a team of elite NRL players? I reckon players like Turbo,Haas, etc would walk into the all blacks team.