Reaction score
NSW great Steve Roach urges Bulldogs to chase Eel Jai Field
Would this be a good fit?

BY
ALEX CAIAFA
-
CONTRIBUTOR
JULY 10, 2020

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JULY 03: Jai Field of the Eels is tackled during the round eight NRL match between the Parramatta Eels and the North Queensland Cowboys at Bankwest Stadium on July 03, 2020 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
NSW great Steve Roach believes the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs should target Parramatta Eels playmaker Jai Field to help the club’s problems in attack and add some stability in the halves.

The Bulldogs have gone through a number of halves pairings, including Kieran Foran, Jack Cogger, Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakehamand Jake Averillo. But it’s Field who Roach thinks could be the missing link.

After getting discarded by the Dragons after 11 games, Field joined the Eels on a train-and-trial contract in the pre-season before earning a place in the squad.

Field had not played in the NRL since Round 16 of last year, but returned to action for the Eels in their dominant 42-4 victory over the Cowboys with an impressive performance.

Roach believes Field is exactly the type of player the Bulldogs should be going after.

“If I was the Bulldogs, I’d be chasing him,” Roach told Behind Blue Eyes.

“They need an explosive halfback to go with Kieran Foran.

“He can run, (which we saw in) that try that he scored in his first game in for Mitchell Moses.

“If I was a club and I needed a running halfback, he would be the bloke I’d be going after.

“I think he’s a sensational player.”

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm sick of these articles about which players meathead ex player FoxSports commentators think we should sign..

Field would have been a solid cheap option last season when available but the club passed.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looks pretty good - fast. Would be nice to have a genuine running half running off Foran especially.

Check out his highlights from last year along with Matt Burton then compare them to Wakeham. Wakeham looks average compared to the other 2 lads.
Jai Field
Matt Burton
Brandon Wakeham

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Already have Wakeham and Averillo. Not a signing we need.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Did you watch the videos ?. I'm losing faith in Wakeham as are a lot of others I read on here.
I don't care what the majority think if you haven't noticed. We have two young halves with potential (we also have BBO), why would you sign another? It's more of what we already have. Field struggled to find a club for 2020, he isn't the next best thing.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always a chance though that any player can be better than another player. It is possible that both could be better players than Wakeham. Burton has already proved that in first grade and Field has also performed well for the Eels in first grade. Wakeham doesn't seem to run at all. Hasn't shown any real passing game and his kicking game isn't any better than Lewis. Wakeham is off contract also. Unless he improves greatly by the end of season we shouldn't re-sign him. I'd like to see us sign Hastings and Burton (and Field on the cheap) The 2 or 3 of them can fight it out to partner Foran. 1 of them would have to work out much better than what we have now. We'd be much better off than choosing between Wakeham, Lewis and Cogger

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There's always a chance though that any player can be better than another player. It is possible that both could be better players than Wakeham. Burton has already proved that in first grade and Field has also performed well for the Eels in first grade. Wakeham doesn't seem to run at all. Hasn't shown any real passing game and his kicking game isn't any better than Lewis. Wakeham is off contract also. Unless he improves greatly by the end of season we shouldn't re-sign him. I'd like to see us sign Hastings and Burton (and Field on the cheap) The 2 or 3 of them can fight it out to partner Foran. 1 of them would have to work out much better than what we have now. We'd be much better off than choosing between Wakeham, Lewis and Cogger
Put Wakeham in a Parramatta or Panthers side and then see how he'll look, you are as good as the players around you. Wakeham can play don't you worry.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Roach would definitely have the interests of Canterbury at heart......NOT
!
...not saying Jai isn’t coming on. Just that there are a few more I think we should listen to before taking the advice of Blocker.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I heard a commentator mention yesterday that Wakeham had been re-signed during COVID for 3 years..
Has that even been confirmed ?
I haven’t heard anything from the club regarding his future..
To be honest,at the moment that pleases me as I don’t see what so many others see in him..
Would be more than happy to hear that he has signed elsewhere or hasn’t been signed as yet,allowing us the possibility of signing someone better..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I heard a commentator mention yesterday that Wakeham had been re-signed during COVID for 3 years..
Has that even been confirmed ?
I haven’t heard anything from the club regarding his future..
To be honest,at the moment that pleases me as I don’t see what so many others see in him..
Would be more than happy to hear that he has signed elsewhere or hasn’t been signed as yet,allowing us the possibility of signing someone better..
Soward said it in the Bulldogs vs Broncos preview on the NRL website. There's nothing confirmed or official.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you put field in our team he would be worse then what we already have. I’d persist with Wakeham and avo

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
As a fullback maybe...
But personally Lachlan Lam would be way better. Field has alot of issues that are masked by Parramattas middle third

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran is on overs at the moment and I doubt he will stay on a reduced contract. Will probably end up in France.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran is on overs at the moment and I doubt he will stay on a reduced contract. Will probably end up in France.
cant see him going there , also can’t see him thinking even interstate , doesn’t his new missus have like half a dozen kids plus his 2 from previous marriage . He ain’t leaving Sydney

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton and Field certainly have decent form this year. Playing behind packs that dominate certainly help.

Stick them behind the powder puff and the cat, they won’t be so good

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Soward said it in the Bulldogs vs Broncos preview on the NRL website. There's nothing confirmed or official.
Yep..that was it
Cheers..I was thinking maybe I dreamt it..lol
He sounded matter of fact though didn’t he..not like it was breaking news.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I suggested last year that Field would be a good cheap signing as a play making fullback with blistering speed similar to a Ben Barba