Steve Mortimer says the blame shouldn’t rest solely on the current players

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can’t believe he said that.

When I read the title of this thread I thought he was going blame the players and administrators of his era for normalising this sort of womanising. I would have backed him 100% as the issue being a hangover of past eras before smartphones. But he’s just made us a target once again- so dumb!

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can’t believe some of the comments here. There are actual rape and domestic violence charges happening in the courts right now because of NRL players and it apparently takes two to tango?? Wtf guys. This is why there is a huge ‘me too’ movement because most men don’t get it.
Steve should have said no comment because in this current environment any comment where the blame is not on those arseholes is a poor comment to make.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Women don't get out of bed and decide to make shit up, sometimes things goes wrong and these highly paid athletes living under the microscope should be aware of the responsibility to be true gentleman, a woman has the right to feel safe.
You can do nothing about smart bitches except plead your case

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"ABC News" and "social media". Oh my.

I don't get the outrage at his response? I interpreted them as "nrl players need to look after each other and watch your mate's back" and "it takes two to tango, don't put yourself in a situation where things can get leaked".

Obviously, filming someone without their consent is a different story but I just don't get the outrage. It's not like he said "it's the females who are entirely to blame". And it sounded like he was generally speaking and not saying "that girl in the Panthers video wanted their attention" or whatever.
Steve Mortimer is 100% correct and won't be silenced.. Why should he.. He makes a valid point, girls will actively seek out footballers, celebrities, singers , rich guys etc to climb the social ladder 100%.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Women don't get out of bed and decide to make shit up, sometimes things goes wrong and these highly paid athletes living under the microscope should be aware of the responsibility to be true gentleman, a woman has the right to feel safe.
You can do nothing about smart bitches except plead your case
WOMEN don't get out of bed and decide to rack up and get spit roasted

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Can’t believe some of the comments here. There are actual rape and domestic violence charges happening in the courts right now because of NRL players and it apparently takes two to tango?? Wtf guys. This is why there is a huge ‘me too’ movement because most men don’t get it.
Steve should have said no comment because in this current environment any comment where the blame is not on those arseholes is a poor comment to make.
Exactly right .... it's almost like saying "girls shouldn't wear crop tops and short skirts to clubs, and if they do it's their fault if they get sexually assaulted or raped". It was classic victim blaming from someone from a previous generation, who didn't engage his brain before talking, got caught out by the media, and has had to backtrack and apologise.

I'd have accepted if it was the first time this has happened with Turvey, but it isn't. Last time he did this it was speaking out of line about Des Hasler on behalf of the board when he had no approval to. That cost him his position on the board at the time.

What worries me is he clearly hasn't learned from that experience to shut up unless it's the media asking something in a positive light.

An apology is fine to give if you make a mistake, but we are talking about a second time speaking out of line now.

I'm sure he had his best intentions when making the comment, but you can't say that sort of thing (to the media) in 2019 and not expect to get pulled up over it. Over a round of beers with mates at a pub expressing a personal opinion maybe, because if someone doesn't agree they'll tell you, but putting it out in a media interview was just plain dumb.

He needs to be smarter and think more before he speaks to the media on these things.

Steve Mortimer is 100% correct and won't be silenced.. Why should he.. He makes a valid point, girls will actively seek out footballers, celebrities, singers , rich guys etc to climb the social ladder 100%.
IF this was the case it would be a valid comment, but it isn't the case. It would be like him saying beer bottles forced Greg Inglis's lips open and shoveed themselves down his throat forcing him to DUI, and hence beer manufacturers are to blame.

Or saying that the shoewear manufacturer of Dylan Walkers partner is to blame for her falling when her hair was yanked from behind.

He's seen "women", he's seen "club", and he's seen the word "taxi", and he's seen "allegedly", and made baseless assumptions on that.

He's completely overlooked the fact JDB (REGARDLESS what has gone on) had a wife at home who was expecting/had a new born (and hence should never have been associating with other women whilst out, let alone sharing a taxi with them).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly right .... it's almost like saying "girls shouldn't wear crop tops and short skirts to clubs, and if they do it's their fault if they get sexually assaulted or raped". It was classic victim blaming from someone from a previous generation, who didn't engage his brain before talking, got caught out by the media, and has had to backtrack and apologise.

I'd have accepted if it was the first time this has happened with Turvey, but it isn't. Last time he did this it was speaking out of line about Des Hasler on behalf of the board when he had no approval to. That cost him his position on the board at the time.

What worries me is he clearly hasn't learned from that experience to shut up unless it's the media asking something in a positive light.

An apology is fine to give if you make a mistake, but we are talking about a second time speaking out of line now.

I'm sure he had his best intentions when making the comment, but you can't say that sort of thing (to the media) in 2019 and not expect to get pulled up over it. Over a round of beers with mates at a pub expressing a personal opinion maybe, because if someone doesn't agree they'll tell you, but putting it out in a media interview was just plain dumb.

He needs to be smarter and think more before he speaks to the media on these things.

IF this was the case it would be a valid comment, but it isn't the case. It would be like him saying beer bottles forced Greg Inglis's lips open and shoveed themselves down his throat forcing him to DUI, and hence beer manufacturers are to blame.

Or saying that the shoewear manufacturer of Dylan Walkers partner is to blame for her falling when her hair was yanked from behind.

He's seen "women", he's seen "club", and he's seen the word "taxi", and he's seen "allegedly", and made baseless assumptions on that.

He's completely overlooked the fact JDB (REGARDLESS what has gone on) had a wife at home who was expecting/had a new born (and hence should never have been associating with other women whilst out, let alone sharing a taxi with them).

It was a poor time to make such a comment. But in all honesty some women will throw themselves at celebrities. It probably goes back to when he was playing. I haven't seen the exact context of his reply. But if you have any conversation and take a snippet of it you can be thrown to the Wolves. Can anyone link the conversation in its entirety? I'd like to see exactly what context the comment was made in.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do people just not get the concept of "time and place"?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I can understand to a degree what he was getting at but he made a meal of presenting it. Probably safer these days to say nothing about such things.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
"most men don't get it" is pretty much on par with a male saying "most women are easy sluts". Not acceptable.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He makes a valid point, girls will actively seek out footballers, celebrities, singers , rich guys etc to climb the social ladder 100%.
But they don't expect to be filmed having sex, nor do they expect the video to be shared on social media etc.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The women are just as dumb as the players involved those are the facts that no one wants to hear

Mortimer is being stitched up by a PC media. Absolutely nothing wrong with his comments.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The women are just as dumb as the players involved those are the facts that no one wants to hear

Mortimer is being stitched up by a PC media. Absolutely nothing wrong with his comments.
Just because someone is dumb does not mean you can violate them like that.

Not to mention that it is illegal.

Or should we revert to Darwinism and just victimize the weakest and dumbest in society.

As for Mortimer, saying what he said was dumb in itself. He has now drawn us into Penriths issuses where we have no business being.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer isn’t a well man and should never have been asked to make a comment. The interview was a train wreck from start to finish. It was embarrassing. I’m glad he apologised.
Hopefully he won’t be asked to discuss issues in the future.
Our media are pathetic.