Steve Mortimer says the blame shouldn’t rest solely on the current players

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
"ABC News" and "social media". Oh my.

I don't get the outrage at his response? I interpreted them as "nrl players need to look after each other and watch your mate's back" and "it takes two to tango, don't put yourself in a situation where things can get leaked".

Obviously, filming someone without their consent is a different story but I just don't get the outrage. It's not like he said "it's the females who are entirely to blame". And it sounded like he was generally speaking and not saying "that girl in the Panthers video wanted their attention" or whatever.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Love ya Turvey - but stop drinking at the legends bar.

You tend to wake up with foot in mouth disease

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says, but sometimes the girls do play a part in all this.

I mean, what the hell are these girls doing with more than one bloke in the room. It's an invitation for trouble.
And if these girls know they are being filmed, why don't they use their brains and think of the probability these videos will get leaked out.
Why take the risk in the first place?

I'm not condoning what these NRL players did by no means and I also think physical and sexual assault is the biggest grub act anyone can do and should be treated like murder.

But please, let's talk some sense here.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says, but sometimes the girls do play a part in all this.

I mean, what the hell are these girls doing with more than one bloke in the room. It's an invitation for trouble.
And if these girls know they are being filmed, why don't they use their brains and think of the probability these videos will get leaked out.
Why take the risk in the first place?

I'm not condoning what these NRL players did by no means and I also think physical and sexual assault is the biggest grub act anyone can do and should be treated like murder.

But please, let's talk some sense here.
I agree with most of what you said, and what Turvey said wasn't the worst thing ever said on the topic but in this day and age of political correctness, people will react to the sentiment rather than what was actually said.

Especially when it's coming from an aging retired footy player in a sport where there is a huge culture issue and he's talking about women partly being to blame.

People aren't going to give him the benefit of the doubt and listen to things in context, they'll just react to the sentiment.

For this reason, Turvey should have kept his opinions to himself or worded it differently to avoid such backlash..

Last edited:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said, and what Turvey said wasn't the worst thing ever said on the topic but in this day and age of political correctness, people will react to the sentiment rather than what was actually said.

Especially when it's coming from an aging retired footy player in a sport where there is a huge culture issue and he's talking about women partly being to blame.

People aren't going to give him the benefit of the doubt and listen to things in context, they'll just react to the sentiment.

For this reason, Turkey should have kept his opinions to himself or worded it differently to avoid such backlash..
I agree with everything you just said.

In my opinion, I don't think he meant it the way the media have made it out to be even to the point of putting words into his mouth but he's not ten years old, he should've known not to give the media and the perpetually outraged social media any ammunition.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of you need to show a little more respect for a Bulldogs great. Maybe it was the wrong timing, but ffs, not like anybody here is perfect

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with everything you just said.

In my opinion, I don't think he meant it the way the media have made it out to be even to the point of putting words into his mouth but he's not ten years old, he should've known not to give the media and the perpetually outraged social media any ammunition.
For sure. Turvey is one of the sweetest, most genuine people in Rugby League and his character will get assassinated for one comment. But he grew up in a different era where such comments weren't world news within hours of making a statement.

I've said as much to my partner about our daughter and how scary the current culture is and that women should be careful with the situations they put themselves in.

That's not to say women are to blame at all, that's saying that both men and women need to think more about the repercussions, especially in such a technology based age, before they act.

I'll be telling my daughter to always assume the worst and don't trust anyone until you're sure they can be trusted. Because there are tonnes of nice guys out there but there are even more pigs who will try and take advantage of you and will do anything to get in your pants...

It's a scary time to be raising children. I wish my kid could grow up when we did as the internet and social media have changed everything for the worse in my opinion.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

For this reason, Turkey should have kept his opinions to himself or worded it differently to avoid such backlash..
I don't understand why anybody talks to the media about this. Everyone knows they're looking for anything to stir up outrage.

Whether Turvey meant what he said or its out of context, he's wise enough to know the media is not his friend and that anything clickbait-worthy from anyone associated with the Dogs is going to blow up into a confected outrage tsunami.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some of you need to show a little more respect for a Bulldogs great. Maybe it was the wrong timing, but ffs, not like anybody here is perfect
He should just not comment on things that are happening.

It's not the first time Turvey has said things that he shouldn't.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s gotta be smarter then that though he stirred up something that didn’t need to be stirred up.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just don’t talk to the media Turvey, it’s pretty simple mate.

Very poor read on the temperature of the game right now from one of our esteemed legends.

Wasn’t there a bunch of people on here calling for him to be CEO prior to Hill’s appointment?

Please refer to this as to why that wasn’t and isn’t a good idea.

Absolutely love Turvey but he’s had an absolute shocker here...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Moving the goal posts doesn't mean they were never in the position they were moved from.

It was said, it was clear, and it prompted a backlash. But the apology was a nice touch.

He just needs to learn not to comment on things like that.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s gotta be smarter then that though he stirred up something that didn’t need to be stirred up.
everybody is entitled to an opinion.. I think what he said was fine.. yeah maybe not the best timing, but so what... should everybody be silenced because of the SJW mafia? fuck that.. not a society I want to live in

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He should just not comment on things that are happening.

It's not the first time Turvey has said things that he shouldn't.
oh well... what do you propose? gag order on all ex-players? please

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
oh well... what do you propose? gag order on all ex-players? please
No, just a gag order on any board member of clubs from commenting on anything, exception is if they have the chairpersons permission.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, just a gag order on any board member of clubs from commenting on anything, exception is if they have the chairpersons permission.
God that is sad.. real sad.

I think people need to stop being a bunch of fkn cry babies and learn that sometimes in life, people have opinions that differ to their own.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Moving the goal posts doesn't mean they were never in the position they were moved from.

It was said, it was clear, and it prompted a backlash. But the apology was a nice touch.

He just needs to learn not to comment on things like that.
On a hiding to nothing by commenting and just not worth feeding the media in circumstances such as this topic.

I believe if he had explained a bit differently, he could have got the msg understood.

Some females do go overboard with attracting footy players and should bear some of the blame.

Turvey went off on a tangent about modern day morals involving males and females and strayed from the current video tape controversy....just don't go there cos they'll jump down your throat.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do any bulldogs or former bulldogs weigh in on shit when it involves woman. It will always back fire and bring back up the Coffs Harbour bullshit. Time for Turvey to hit the bowling greens like all other old Aussies and shut the fuck up