Steve Mortimer apologises for Damien Cook oversight, begs Josh Reynolds and Martin Taupau to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mr I this article you've posted only further sheds light on the old regime's incompetency.

The offer to extend Cook's contract should have been made immediately after his first MOM first game against Souths.

His ability to add attacking spark to a stale plodding gameplan was overwhelming and it was clear as day.

The outcry by Dogs fans started immediately to re-sign him so there was plenty of time to do so before Cook signed with Souths.

I wrote to Castle pleading with her to keep Cook (who wanted an extension) but she replied that they had every confidence in Lichaa and that we didnt have funds to offer Cook more as a second stringer...

Your article simply highlights the incompetency by that collective old lot to recognise footballers...and Turvey is acknowledging that now because of the damage done by handing over so much of the decision making to Dib and Despot Hasler....and Cook is a lovely guy who wouldn"t dump on the club by complaining of his treatment.

His girlfriend was at pains on social media at the time to explain to disgruntled fans that he only left because he was made feel wanted and chased by Souths and offered more money and Bulldogs were uninterested...even though he wanted to stay if given the same opportunities.

This issue is ALL about recognising potentially outstanding players when they get an opportunity and admitting that Hasler got it horribly wrong and Dib let him and that's what Steve Mortimer is pointing out.
Agree, even with Cook's article piece, it makes more sense that Cook went where he was wanted. No surprise that Des was too stubborn to change his gameplan.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree, even with Cook's article piece, it makes more sense that Cook went where he was wanted. No surprise that Des was too stubborn to change his gameplan.
Dib and Hasler will forever be blamed for the neglect and mismanagement of our football department and current mess that is slowly being worked on and rectified...and, to an extent the lackey Football Board that rubber stamped the slack decisions that got us to the shocking mess of releasing Graham etc and our terrible style of football and lack of junior development.

No one is ever going to absolve the ultimate blame and responsibility that the old regime deserve, if you are a fair minded realist concerning our recent past and how it all happened, why and who were the decision makers.

It's happened. It's their fault. And it's now up to the new regime to get us back on track. Without the 2 selfish egotists in Dib and Hasler running the show, we will have a future and the best practice, sensible decisions made for the club that we expect.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree on who we should and shouldn't bring back...
But I think what Turvey is really telling us is we shouldn't loose the players who bleeds Blue & White.

Yeah but mate anyone would bleed for any club as long as they get paid the right $$$

Terry lamb came from west
Renoylds was a roosters supporter

End of the day keep a player at the same place long enough they fall in love with it.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah but mate anyone would bleed for any club as long as they get paid the right $$$

Terry lamb came from west
Renoylds was a roosters supporter

End of the day keep a player at the same place long enough they fall in love with it.
Not all players but majority, money plays a major part especially these days.
Lamb is a bulldog junior that took the opportunity at Wests before coming back home.
Reynolds is a Junior who as a kid supported the rorters...no big deal.
Allow me to share this story
The year was 1979 the Mortimers were setting the world on fire especially Turvey, that's when the Rorters came knocking on their door offering Steve, Peter and Chris a staggering $90k a season it was unheard of then and made the front pages of the papers.
A Friend of mine Fred who was a businessman that was related to Bullfrog headed to the club after reading the news, walked into Bullfrogs office unannounced questioning him about the offer,
Bullfrogs reply was...we have offered the boys a fair deal
Fred said...The Mortimers will not leave Belmore, pulling out $10k and placed it on the desk saying I'll come back with the rest,
Bullfrog said...Put your money in your pocket Fred, we offered the Mortimers a good offer and we will look after them in the future but if they want to stay for the money only we don't want them and if they want to leave for the money they can go, now that's loyalty !
The rest is a wonderful history !!!

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graham --> No
Tapou --> No
Reynolds --> No

I love Turvey but none of these players will win us premierships. Lets just start with recruiting juniors that are 1. Instinctive 2. Hate losing 3. 80 minute NRl fit and I will be over the moon.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I do not want James Graham or Josh Reynolds back
110%

Reynolds is passionate no doubt, but I have few memories of him contributing a net positive to a game. Always with the brain snaps and dumb penalties. He is also injured half the time which Tigers found out the hard way.

Graham? He is good but....our forwards are great. I would not drop anyone for him atm.

Both past their best.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to question the wisdom .... or lack of being demonstrated here. Would loved Cook to have stayed and Tapau to return. But seriously ... we've unearthed a good young kid in Lewis who I would pick over Reynolds each week hands down. Is Turvey suggesting we sign Reynolds and pick him over Lewis instead?

Chess Player

Waterboy
Reaction score
I did not think that Damien Cook was special last game, he was well controlled. Farah may not have the speed but he is more creative.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasnt an over sight was incompetence of all involved. .

Cant let guns like Cook just walk out

Status
Not open for further replies.