Steve Mortimer apologises for Damien Cook oversight, begs Josh Reynolds and Martin Taupau to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
  • Michael Di Lonardo
    Updated at 12:07 a.m. ET

Canterbury great Steve Mortimer has apologised to the club’s fans for letting Damien Cook slip through their hands during his tenure on the Bulldogs board.

Cook had a brief seven-game cameo at Belmore in the shadow of former skipper Michael Ennis and incumbent hooker Michael Lichaa before signing a two-year deal with South Sydney which has since been extended.

Arguably the game’s best player of the 2018 season, Cook is in a hotly contested race for a shock Dally M Medal in a year that has also seen him honoured with a NSW jersey.

MORE: Bulldog's Bite: Ivan Cleary can't let stubbornness get in the way of Penrith Panthers offer

Most impressively, the 66-game hooker stood up the game’s premier No.9 in Cameron Smith last weekend with one of the brilliant individual tries of the season.

Canterbury on the other hand have had little confidence in their rake options, juggling between Lichaa, regular halfback Jeremy Marshall-King and former Shark Fa’amanu Brown.

But that is only one of their worrying holes with little talent to boast in both the forward and backs after a salary cap debacle forced a dramatic overhaul to their roster with marquee players Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye being granted early releases.

Not only does Mortimer regret Cook’s departure, the former board member still holds guilt over the exits of clubmen James Graham and Josh Reynolds who made an integral contribution to the club’s culture.

‘’Dean Pay was given a mess after the former coach (Des Hasler),’’ Mortimer said.

‘’We should have never let our players go. I think James Graham has been an absolutely wonderful leader for the Bulldogs and Josh Reynolds, who is a down-right local Bulldogs player, I’m hoping one day that maybe we can get him back.

‘’Those two players I think we miss big time.

‘’We also had Damien Cook under Des Hasler and there were just things Des couldn’t see in him and now he’s probably going to be a Dally M Medallist this year.

‘’I’m very sorry that we (Bulldogs board) missed Damien Cook.’’

The key losses are another stain on an ill-advised recruitment and retention plan that has also seen Sea Eagles star Martin Taupau part ways with the club.

Like Reynolds, Mortimer has his fingers crossed Canterbury can complete a homecoming at some point in the future.

‘’If Marty Taupau wants to come back, I will welcome him with open arms,’’ he said.

‘’He’s a wonderful player, he’s a dangerous player, he’s a great player, can offload the ball and would be a great asset for the Bulldogs.’’

It’s a wild dream that will have to wait until 2021 with the Bulldogs unable to lure any big name signings for three years under salary cap restrictions.

At a fan forum in May, club officials revealed they had to fill five remaining roster spots with just $500,000 meaning players could only sign on minimum wage.

Canterbury coach Dean Pay has put his faith in the club’s more affordable youth to turn their fortunes around, letting halves pairing Lachlan Lewis – who recently signed a two-year extension – and Jeremy Marshall-King take the steering wheel.

Despite their financial troubles, the Bulldogs have managed to sign promising Newcastle fullback Nick Meaney, Panthers winger Christian Crichton and Knights playmaker Jack Cogger in a rebuild of their roster.

There are reports they have made a play at Brisbane second-rower Corey Oates, however it is believed he rejected their offer

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t worry about It Turvey
As far as I’m concerned it’s all in the past and I don’t want to dwell upon this stuff forever
Our current management group are fixing things nicely
This great club will be back to the top in the near future

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Happily take taupau back in a heartbeat, but absolutely no way to Reynolds. His dog days should be done. Apparently he's on a huge deal with the Tigpies, he can stay there
And managed to play all of about 3 games all year.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And managed to play all of about 3 games all year.
Talk about an astute signing, certainly great captain material. I actually wish he was playing so he'd get out of the commentary box, listening to him attempt to commentate is almost like nails on a chalkboard

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just fix the damn mess no more talk

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Talk about an astute signing, certainly great captain material. I actually wish he was playing so he'd get out of the commentary box, listening to him attempt to commentate is almost like nails on a chalkboard
Yeah with you on that. I actually like the guy but for F---s sake can we just get over this Reynolds,Cook situation they ain't here and ain't coming back in the near future.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reynolds can come back and play for 30k after his 800k tigers contract expires in 5 years

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cook might have a good season but it’s nothing compared to letting Thurston the future immortal go

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Reynolds can fuck off and never come back. Cook was a lose but can we get Seygeyaro maybe. Graham was and is passed his used by date. Tapau yes sure.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing against Reynolds but seeing him in a bulldogs jersey again would be madness. Graham was 2 years past it and served us well, wish him all the best. Cook, Thurstan, who knew, who cares. Were at were where at and looking forward to the future, we will dominate again which I never felt with the previous board and coach.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hodkinson, Reynolds, Kasiano, Graham, Pritchard all past their best when they left. Mbye - never had a best. Potential yes, but unlikely ever to fulfill. Cook is a major regret. He showed enough potential in the few games he played in the top grade to warrant keeping, particularly as Liccha offered so very little in attack. However, put this down to Des. All he wanted was a tackling machine that didn't think for itself and fitted his statistical basis for how he thought the game should be played.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.