Steve Georgallis insists Luke Thompson committed to Bulldogs; backs Kieran Foran to sign new deal (DT)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
NRL 2020: Steve Georgallis insists Luke Thompson committed to Bulldogs; backs Kieran Foran to sign new deal
Michael Carayannis and Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
August 29, 2020 6:32pm

Bulldogs interim coach Steve Georgallis says British import Luke Thompson is doing it “tough” but played down suggestions Thompson wanted out of the club to return home.

Thompson has been “rested” for the clash against the Raiders on Sunday as he struggles with living by himself in the game’s bubble.
It has been a tough initiation for the Bulldogs marquee signing who had to spend two weeks in a Melbourne hotel room, followed by the axing of former coach Dean Pay and a Canterbury side who sit at the bottom of the premiership ladder.

Luke Thompson is struggling with life in a bubble.
Luke Thompson is struggling with life in a bubble.

However, Georgallis said Thompson remained committed to fulfilling the next three years of his contract.
“How tough would it be for Luke today,” Georgallis said.
“The sun is out. He can’t go to the beach. It’s very tough for Luke. I’ve been chatting to him this week. He is committed to playing week in week out. I’m looking forward to him playing the next four weeks. He is learning about the environment, the players and the NRL week in week out.
“He has never talked about going home. We have talked a lot. His girlfriend is not here. The club is trying to help him out with that scenario.
“He has come out here for a challenge and make his way in the NRL. It’ll be great for him to have a taste of the NRL this year heading into next year.”
Following Georgallis out of Belmore at season’s end is playmaker Kieran Foran. The Bulldogs signed injured Knights half Blake Green ending any hope of Foran extending his stay at the club.

Kieran Foran is on the lookout for a new club for 2021.
Kieran Foran is on the lookout for a new club for 2021.

Georgallis said Foran would still be an asset to any NRL club.
“For Kieran it’s about playing every week and getting his combination with his edge,” he said.
“When he is on his game he is a quality player. He has done great things for us in the last six or seven weeks. I can’t see him not being picked up by another club.
“You need as many experienced halves as you can. Lachie Lewis, Jack Cogger, Brandon Wakeham, learning off players like Kieran (is invaluable).”

Two moves to make or break Barrett
Canterbury premiership winner Braith Anasta believes new Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett is two key moves away from turning the club into a finals hopeful in 2021.
The first crucial decision being where marquee signing Nick Cotric plays; the second, luring rising halfback Matt Burton from Penrith to Belmore.
Canberra flyer Cotric signed a three year deal with the Bulldogs from season 2021 worth $1.8 million and will take on his new side at GIO Stadium on Sunday night.

Nick Cotric is set to play against the Bulldogs, the club he is joining in 2021.

Nick Cotric is set to play against the Bulldogs, the club he is joining in 2021.

Fox League analyst Anasta said Barrett should resist the temptation to play Cotric at centre purely to justify the winger’s hefty price tag.
“I don’t think Cotric is a centre, he’s one of the best wingers in the game. He has a nice catch and pass but he’s not a ballplayer. He’s an out and out winger. He’s amazing at what he does so why change that,” Anasta said.
“With a winger like him … who can finish the way that he does but also bring the ball back with the kind of power he does to take pressure off the Bulldogs forwards, that’s what you want.”
Based who would be available in 2021, Canterbury’s best possible back five would be Cotric and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak on the wing, Jake Averillo and Reimis Smith at centre and Will Hopoate at fullback.
Barrett has been credited in turning around Penrith’s attack in 2020 and the Bulldogs, who have scored only 35 tries this year – the least of any side in the competition – desperately need the offensive know-how of the Panthers assistant coach.
Alongside Barrett’s attacking knowledge Anasta, who played 110 games at Canterbury, believes Burton could give the Bulldogs enough of an edge to bring the club closer to it’s first finals appearance since 2016.
“I’d be going straight to Matt Burton. The first thing that came to my mind when Trent Barrett signed, it’s a no-brainer. I have no doubt Baz would love to take Matt to the Bulldogs. Matt’s the best five-eighth or halfback not playing in the competition at the moment by a country mile,” he said.

Matt Burton could help turn Canterbury into a final hopeful in 2021.

Matt Burton could help turn Canterbury into a final hopeful in 2021.

Burton is contracted until the end of season 2021 and would require a release from Penrith.
The Bulldogs have also acquired veteran playmaker Blake Green for season 2021. Green, who turns 33 next month, could be unavailable for the start of the season after he suffered an ACL playing for Newcastle last weekend.
Green’s signature all but guarantees Kieran Foran’s departure at the end of the season after three injury riddled year at Belmore.
While many have slammed the signature of Green, Anasata believes it actually has the potential to be an astute acquisition if it was made to help the club manage its salary cap.
“If it comes down to who’s the better player, with no disrespect to Blake, Kieran is better. But if it comes down to the dollar and they have to manage their cap then Blake is a good buy,” Anasta said.
“The other upside is, you want people like Blake around your club. He’s a leader that has great core values and an amazing attitude that makes him invaluable.”
The missing piece of Canterbury’s rooster puzzle remains the hooker position.

An ACL injury could force Blake Green to miss the start of season 2021.

An ACL injury could force Blake Green to miss the start of season 2021.

Anasta praised the effort Jeremy Marshall-King has applied in the no. 9 jumper since moving there in 2019 but still believes a proven rake should be Barrett’s next target after Burton.
“There aren’t a lot of hookers on the market, they’ve turned to Marshall-King and I’ve got to give him a wrap because he’s been great the last few weeks. He’d be great to come off the bench next year,” he said.
“The need a hooker that’s tipped to do great things, like Harry Grant. If they land the right nine and Burton then they could be a top eight hope.”
While assembling the best possible 17 will be vital to Barrett’s success at Canterbury Anasta said Barrett’s biggest challenge will be helping the club rediscover its identity and what it means to wear the blue and white jumper of the ‘proud club’.
“They have to find their DNA and what kind of side they want to be, Trent needs to instil the Bulldogs history into the side but he also needs to bring in his own take,” he said.
“What does it mean to be a Bulldog? They don’t have that. We used to have it, we were the Dogs of War.

Braith Anasta says Trent Barrett needs to help the club rediscover its identity.
Braith Anasta says Trent Barrett needs to help the club rediscover its identity.

“We had a certain style we played every week, we were tough, we were relentless, we’d turn up for each other.
“We knew if we fell behind in game we’d still win that game, everyone watching knew it too. We knew we were going to make the semis every year …. That’s what they need to find.”
Canterbury Bulldogs best 17 in season 2021
  1. Will Hopoate
  2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
  3. Reimis Smith
  4. Jake Averillo
  5. Nick Cotric
  6. Matt Burton *
  7. Blake Green
  8. Dylan Napa
  9. Jeremy Marshall King
  10. Ofahiki Ogden
  11. Josh Jackson
  12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  13. Adam Elliott
  14. Luke Thompson
  15. Matt Doorey
  16. Joe Stimson
  17. Renouf To’omaga

Contracted in 2021: Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakeham, Christian Crichton, Dean Britt, Sione Katoa, Nick Meaney, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Smith
*Burton is still contracted at Penrith until the end of season 2021 and will need a release to join Canterbury.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The only thing I would change in that lineup, I would swap Cotric and Smith around as well as Jackson and Elliot. Other than that it's a good lineup imo.
Averillo has really struggled in the centres. Meaney fullback and Hopoate centres is also a possibility. I think we're a lot better in attack with Hopoate at the back tho. Hopoate's pace does cost him in defence, it's literally the only thing he's missing. Thompson also needs to start.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thing whoever wrote the article isn’t picking the team.

Here’s who I’d choose

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. Smith
6. Averillo
7. Burton / Green / Wakeham
8. To’omaga
9. JMK (we need a hooker)
10. Thompson
11. Doorey
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. RFM
15. Ogden
16. Napa
17. Katoa

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here’s who I’d choose

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. Smith
6. Averillo
8. To’omaga
10. Thompson
11. Doorey
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. RFM
15. Ogden
16. Napa
17. Katoa
Good lineup

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Here’s who I’d choose

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. Smith
6. Averillo
8. To’omaga
10. Thompson
11. Doorey
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. RFM
15. Ogden
16. Napa
17. Katoa
Averillo has played 5 games at 5/6 since SG Ball.
Why are you selecting him at 5/8?

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Staines
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Hoppa
5. Cotric
6. Averillo
7. Burton
8. Welch
9. Brandon Smith
10. Ogden
11. Doorey
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. Napa
15. To'omaga
16. RFM
17. Thompson

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Staines
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Hoppa
5. Cotric
6. Averillo
7. Burton
8. Welch
9. Brandon Smith
10. Ogden
11. Doorey
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. Napa
15. To'omaga
16. RFM
17. Thompson
Keep dreaming

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Haha that centre pairing lol who writes this shit... Holland and Montoya are starting over Smith now

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
the limited time he’s had there in first grade he’s looked likely and it’s probably worth a shot compared the other failed experiments.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Morris boys re-sighing with Roosters. We have already put the feelers out.

Consider it a #scoop.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really am tired of all the recruitment discussion. Hard to say how it will all play out. So I don't see much point in the amount of time people spend on it. We'll see some new faces in the squad next year. That's the only thing that is a certainty.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
the limited time he’s had there in first grade he’s looked likely and it’s probably worth a shot compared the other failed experiments.
Yeah, I watched evey game he has played in 1st grade.
No way is he ready to be a starting 5/8 certainly not with an inexperienced halfback.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched evey game he has played in 1st grade.
No way is he ready to be a starting 5/8 certainly not with an inexperienced halfback.
Fair enough mate. I think the same about Lewis and he’s played 30+ NRL games but what can you do... if you don’t give it a go you never know.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The side I chose is where I think they’ll be best utilised, pending offseason training.

I’m not the coach though, and only Barrett will see where the players would fit in best with the team.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too early to call the line up for 2021. I suspect there will be more signings and players coming in but will not be reported until after the season.
I hope you are right because if you're not - this whole beat up about this " War Chest " is nothing but BULLSHIT!!! So far our 3 million bucks has got us - one a Failed coach who is to busy concentrating on winning a premiership for Penrith as an assistant coach, to worry about recruiting players 4 us, a quality "WINGER", A disappointing homesick English forward who is being rested after playing four games so he can mend a broken heart, and one 33year old broken-down halfback for one year to replace another 33yr old broken - down 5/8 who is the better of the two, Mean while players like Josh Papali, Josh Adocar, Alex Johnstone, Nathan Peats, Connor Watson, Triston, Sailor, Jake Friend ,Tyrone Roberts, & lots of other good players who are of contract with their clubs are being snapped up by other clubs, While we count the 5 cent pieces in our imaginary "War Chest" and get ready to field the same DUD players that we have been winging & complaining about for the last 3yrs against the Roosters in 2021.