Steve Folkes passes away aged 59.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
RIP Folkesy....you will always be remembered as a true gentleman.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How enthusiastic was he, went from club to club doing various roles as assistant or trainer, coached the Jillaroo's in 2016 and was going to take on another club side in 2018.
The NRL owes so much to Folksey.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate, so glad you posted this. I remember read ing that mag from cover to cover and admired the man for many years. He even had a friendly jibe at cement Gillespie for being a tight ass
I would have loved to read his autobiography, but this is the best I will get I suppose.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am very disappointed in the Daily Telegraph & Sydney Morning Herald for their poultry coverage of the great man. They complain about low readership & all they had to do was a 4-page lift-out & alert fans on social media outlets. 1 page each is pretty poor. They do not understand their readership.

I bet if something negative happened about the Bulldogs they would have pages upon pages of coverage (especially DT).

He played & coached around 550 games in Australia (let alone the games in the UK) + 31 games in cup competitions (pre-season & mid-week) over more than 40 years.

He deserved better.

Malla

Reaction score
I am very disappointed in the Daily Telegraph & Sydney Morning Herald for their poultry coverage of the great man. They complain about low readership & all they had to do was a 4-page lift-out & alert fans on social media outlets. 1 page each is pretty poor. They do not understand their readership.

I bet if something negative happened about the Bulldogs they would have pages upon pages of coverage (especially DT).

He played & coached around 550 games in Australia (let alone the games in the UK) + 31 games in cup competitions (pre-season & mid-week) over more than 40 years.

He deserved better.
Folkes doesn't need a 4 page lift out in the DT to validate his life.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
"I know Ben Barba scored four tries today and I know there'll be calls for him, all the niff-nuffs on our Kennel website will get in there and want to pick him," he said.

Best thing Folkes did was call certain kennelers niff nuffs. People still act like that here

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox League to honour Bulldogs legend Steve Folkes with special broadcast

FOX League is celebrating Rugby League great Steve Folkes
FOX League will pay tribute to the former Canterbury legend with a special broadcast on Wednesday night.

Following the sudden passing of one of Rugby League’s great players and coaches, FOX League will broadcast some of Folkes’ biggest triumphs to celebrate his contribution to the game.

From 6.30pm on channel 502, fans can relive Folkes’ 1980 and 1988 Grand Final victories as well as Game 3 of the 1986 State of Origin series which saw NSW claim their first ever 3-0 Origin whitewash.

Also airing is the 2004 Grand Final, where as head coach, Folkes led the Bulldogs to Premiership glory, the same year he was awarded the Dally M Coach of the Year.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fox League to honour Bulldogs legend Steve Folkes with special broadcast

FOX League is celebrating Rugby League great Steve Folkes

FOX League will pay tribute to the former Canterbury legend with a special broadcast on Wednesday night.

Following the sudden passing of one of Rugby League’s great players and coaches, FOX League will broadcast some of Folkes’ biggest triumphs to celebrate his contribution to the game.

From 6.30pm on channel 502, fans can relive Folkes’ 1980 and 1988 Grand Final victories as well as Game 3 of the 1986 State of Origin series which saw NSW claim their first ever 3-0 Origin whitewash.

Also airing is the 2004 Grand Final, where as head coach, Folkes led the Bulldogs to Premiership glory, the same year he was awarded the Dally M Coach of the Year.

Thank you for posting this. Although I do have these games on DVD ( except the SOO) I shall be watching.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
40 years since his debut year 1978. I feel the club could possibly put his initials under the badge or ‘Folkesy’ for the game if not the season. He contributed so much for the club

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Rest In Peace Steve Folkes

An absolute bonafide Canterbury Bulldogs legend. It's a shame we didn't honour him while he was alive.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
RIP Folksie. Thanks for everything. Even calling us all on the Kennel Nuffies! LOL. I’ll never forget that.

Didn’t Mason say he was a shit coach after he left for the Roosters ? Or was it SBW. I can’t remember. Mase all up on social praising him now he’s passed on. I think I remember they patched things up at some reunion a while ago right ?

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Almost 2 days to digest this now and to be honest I’m still in shock . I’m not an emotional guy at all but I heard the news standing in a pub with my mrs , holding a schooner staring blankly at a tv screen with no sound on it but still telling every punter to shut the fuck up while looking on in disbelief. My eyes got teary and I hardly spike a word for the rest of the night except when my mrs asked why I was so upset . I told her about how I attended a training session pre season in 2005 , we still had all the big names , Mason ,SBW etc but I only asked for 2 autographs that day Folkes and Lamb . Lamb and Turvey for me are our best ever players but Folkes to me summed up the Bulldogs best , a small guy with a massive heart . I hope the club finds a way to dedicate the season to him but more so I hope the players put in 80% of the effort he did in any game we played. If they do that it will be a bloody good year .

Thank you Folksey for everything .

Malla

Reaction score
You missed the point - don't worry about it.
Whats the difference between 1 or 4 pages? The point being made is dumb. Everyone here talks shit about the DT because of the way they treat(ed) our club yet we cry foul because we didn't get a 4 page tribute?

Status
Not open for further replies.