Steve Folkes passes away aged 59.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great childhood memories of watching Folkesy at Belmore playing above his weight, a tireless worker on the field with an impeccable defensive technique.

For many of us, our adult life memories of Folkesy as coach included his assembling of a young and exciting team that delivered him a deserved Premiership in 2004.

He leaves a strong legacy behind him and when considering as player and coach was involved in all our Premiership victories since 1980, he is one of the most influential figures in our clubs history.

RIP Steve Folkes

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
R.I.P STEVE FOLKS a true legend I hope this motivates the team to win the premiership for him this year .

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Livestreaming gameplay of me playing as the dogs against roosters on rugby league live 4 using 2018 as tribute to him. If anyone is interested here is the link
How do you record what is on your screen?

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rest in Peace, best wishes and condolences to his family during this tough time.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RIP Folkesy "Mr Tackle"
So many memories. I was privileged to have watched the "Dogs of war" growing up. Folkesy as a 80kg backrower was good enough to represent his state and country and be part of 4 premierships and 6 gf's
He then led the side to our last premiership in 04 basically steering the ship after years of heartbreak with the salary cap and coffs harbour
Dearly missed by all Dogs fans, condolences to his family

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad indeed. He typified the bulldogs culture. Sad for him and his family.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every single Bulldogs supporter should be forever thankful for what this great man did for our beloved team over many, many years.

This devastating news has come as a great shock as Folkesy was well known as one of the fittest people in rugby league.

I have only met a few Bulldogs players over the years & Folkesy was one of them albeit very briefly. I have only ever heard one person speak ill of him & he is on my "list".

By now, he will have been greeted by Bullfrog & Ted Glossop to name but two on the other side - 2 other club legends & wife Karen

My thoughts go out to his family, children Hayley & Daniel (that I know of)

The attachment is from a magazine produced when he retired for the first time in 1989.View attachment 5164
Mate, so glad you posted this. I remember read ing that mag from cover to cover and admired the man for many years. He even had a friendly jibe at cement Gillespie for being a tight ass

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've posted a bit earlier today. Going through a bit of a stressful period in my life at the moment. Over sensitive... Reading here, this one is a bit hard to take. I idolised Folkes. I used to see his name as captain on the Punchbowl Boys High School honours board. Watched him play when I was a kid (pre high schoool). Stick out for his remarkable tackling when he looked so mismatched in size. 1998 just sealed my admiration. He'd served his apprenticeship as coach in the lower grades, and here he was in his debut FG coaching season pushing perhaps the best assembled Broncos team (which included our Darren Smith) to the last 40 mins of the GF. Then he was just an absolute rock for the club throughout some tricky seasons that followed.

He was incredibly protective of Hazem as he came to more and more prominence as a successful Muslim... And that's why SBW's slur hurt... Coming from that background I thought Folkes and the club were tolerant and respectful. But as per earlier, I'll put that aside.

If you want to consider just how much he was held in high esteem by the club and its people, consider how much success is in its fabric, that they let Kevin Moore go midseason when finals footy drifted away, yet despite the shambolic 2008 season drifting towards wooden spoon, he was allowed to see out the season and the contract. A wooden spoon season usually has no redeeming features, but for me that it coincides with time drawing on Folkes Bulldogs career means that it marks the full stop on his legend story, and I see that positively.

And this tragedy, dying cycling, in his perpetual pursuit of hyper fitness... What a legend...

RIP Steve Folkes. I will hold your memory fondly.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Willy and SBW were just bratt kids that didn't know how blessed they were to have someone like Folkes mentoring them.

Sure, Folkes was hard on them, they deserved it, and could have been better people had they took on board what Folkes was trying to teach them as footballers and as men.

Folkes was the benchmark when it cam to integrity, honour, and work ethic.

He was old school hard nosed, and not PC.
His intentions were always pure.

He deserves respect from Mason and SBW now, since they showed him non in life

I am angry at those brats for never apologising to Folkes
mason handled it better, he took back what he said a year later then playfully tackled him when they saw each other when folkes was at the tigers, then recently he has generally been talking good about the club culture back then

sbw basically needed a reason to be angry at the club so he could have for his little weidler interview so the only thing he could think of was folkes comments

RIP folkes, he was the real deal and put together the best bulldog team of all time i think, the group of players that he blooded/developed is legendary

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RIP Folkesy, absolute true blue legend of our club and the game in general. Its obvious how he touched so many people, how highly everybody has spoken of him, not just from our club, but the whole rugby league world, is a testament to the human being he was. I never get a tear in my eye when I hear someone I dont personally know has passed, but today I did. RIP mate, and thanks for everything you done for this club

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
RIP
Never understood why no one gave him another gig with his record with us.

On another note,
I recall reading here a few weeks/months ago that he was sick or had an accident or something.
It made me go ‘well that’s his career as a coach done’.
Does anyone remember?
It may be linked to this.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely shattered.
Just can't believe this. Too young the pain of his family condolences.
Steve Folkes had the greatest tackling technique I ever saw that enabled him to level and bash men much bigger than him.
True club icon.
Just so cruel to go so young.
RIP

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fit and healthy are 2 different things, michael jordan would smoke cigars on the way to training and sbw would cook charcaol bbq chicken

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Another legend lost. His wife passed away in the last few years as well his kids would be feeling it the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.