Official Stephen Crichton signs with the Bulldogs 2024

Do you think Crighton will make a good fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Stephen Crichton breaks silence on Panthers exit, Bulldogs move
Story from Daily Telegraph

Penrith centre Stephen Crichton has hit out at suggestions he left Penrith for money and the chance to play fullback - and vowed to honour the Panthers jersey with his performances as he prepares to launch his final season at the club.

Crichton, speaking for the first time about his decision to accept a lucrative four year deal with the Bulldogs from 2024, insists his only motivation was the desire for a fresh start and the opportunity to work once again with Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo.

A vital cog in Penrith’s premiership success over the past two seasons, an emotional Crichton said he would do everything in his power to ensure he left the club with a threepeat to his name.

“It definitely was a difficult decision,” Crichton said.

“I have been a Penrith junior and I grew up coming through the ranks with the boys - a couple of them are my best mates.

“It was the hardest decision I have ever made with my career. It was definitely hard just knowing that my time at Penrith will be coming to an end.

“I get emotional every time I think about it being my last year. Every time I wear the Penrith jersey, I am going to leave it in a better place and play my hardest like it is my last game.

“I won’t take for granted the times I get to put this beautiful jersey on.”

THE BULLDOGS

Crichton gave Penrith every chance to keep him but once it became clear there was no room left for him at the Panthers, there was only once place he was going to go.

Crichton has a long-standing relationship with Ciraldo stretching back to their time at Penrith together. He also kept an eye on the club’s rebuild, watching from afar as they signed Viliame Kikau, Reed Mahoney and Ryan Sutton.

He bristles at suggestions he was motivated by money. So too the suggestion that he only went to the Bulldogs because it would allow him to wear the No.1 jersey - his path was blocked at the Panthers by Dylan Edwards.

“I just want to make it clear it was nothing to do with money, it was nothing to do with position,” Crichton said.

“I kind of never wanted to leave Penrith. My only option I wanted was to stay no matter what happened. I got back from my time at the World Cup and was looking for an answer.

“I had to go to Samoa and wanted to get it done, but just couldn’t get an answer.

“So once I got my head around that I couldn’t stay with Penrith, I spoke to a few people I trust, then I made a decision to move on.

“The opportunity at the Bulldogs came up and just looking at the club, that is where my decision went. My agent (Liam Ayoub) had said there were other clubs talking to him but I had told him if I wasn’t staying that I wanted to go with Ciro.

“I looked at the (Bulldogs) and saw they were going the right way as well. That kind of persuaded me. Having Cam Ciraldo there, having worked with him in the first five years of my career, he can get the best out of me on the field and off the field as well.”

TELLING IVAN AND HIS MATES

Crichton has only ever known Penrith. He came through the ranks with Spencer Leniu and became best mates with Jarome Luai and Brian To’o on their journey to first grade.

Crichton kept them informed about his talks with the Panthers and Bulldogs. The toughest conversation, however, was with coach Ivan Cleary and the other members of the Panthers squad.

“I had made my decision and then I spoke with Ivan,” Crichton said.

“We just didn’t want any tension between me and him, as a player and coach going into this year. We wanted to be clear minded.

“The conversation was hard to have with the head coach.”

It was no easier with his teammates.

“It was hard to have it with the boys as well, as I said, knowing Penrith has been the only thing I have known,” Crichton said.

“To tell those boys, it was pretty hard. I met Jarome and Bizza (To’o) probably when I hit under 20s. Ever since then they have been close mates.

“Spencer has been with me ever since the start - same school, started the same time.

“I kept my closest mates in the loop. When I made my decision and told them - he (Leniu) was happy for me.

“In this short career of rugby league you have to make the most of it and make decisions that will help me and my future and my family.”

THE REACTION

Crichton has been overwhelmed by the reaction in the Penrith community. The Panthers have an ardent group of fans and they have only had nice things to say to him.

A handful have broken down in tears while wishing him the best.

“The reaction has been real positive and they just say good luck for the future,” Crichton said.

“I actually bumped into three (fans) who started crying in front of me. It just shows how much love they have for the club and how much love they have for us players.

“The first time it happened it hit me that this is more than just a game.

“It means a lot to those diehard fans. That is the whole reason I won’t take this jersey for granted this year because I know a lot of people out there honour this jersey so much.

“I don’t want to look back and have regrets on how I played or my performance. At the fan day, a few of them told me they lined up just so they could get a photo with me.

“It really touched me how much love I get from those type of fans.”

THE THREE-PEAT

While excited at the opportunity at the Bulldogs, Crichton still has work to do.

The Panthers are coming off successive premierships and if they can make it a third, they will achieve a feat unheard of in the NRL era.

The task won’t be any easier given the departure of Api Koroisau and Kikau.

Crichton insists he will put aside his plans for next year and do everything in his power to ensure the Panthers make it a three-peat.

“I want to worry about that (the Bulldogs) when that times comes,” he said.

“I have more important things to worry about this year - that is the Panthers and winning another premiership for the club.

“I don’t want to worry about the future, I want to stay present, do my job and play my hardest for Penrith right now.

“I didn’t want it hanging over my head going into the footy season, and worrying what my future was going to look like - whether I would be here or there.

“I wanted to get it done before the season started. That is exactly what I did and I am happy everything is done now. Full steam ahead for the 2023 season.”
Let's be realistic about it...
1. Penrith can't keep him even if they wanted to, $800k is a big chunk from the salary cap for a centre,
2. Fullback is what he wants to play, Penrith have Edwards and they don't see Crichton as one.
3. Penrith will end up losing too many young stars if they keep him.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope people read beyond the headline. Critta said nothing wrong here. His closeness to Leniu makes me think he is coming too
Look bro some people aren’t that excited his coming and that’s fair enough time will tell. Personally I’m pretty keen on him coming here. Quality person from a quality family and helluva young talent nowhere near his ceiling yet.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Oh bro… I don’t get it we have a young kid ready made to make one of the edge back row spots his for years to come and people are talking about playing at lock… smh…
The only reason I could see him moving to the middle is if he's total arse on the right edge compared to the left edge.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look bro some people aren’t that excited his coming and that’s fair enough time will tell. Personally I’m pretty keen on him coming here. Quality person from a quality family and helluva young talent nowhere near his ceiling yet.
I’m happy he’s coming to uce. Class player and still young. I think it’s a gamble to turn him into a FB but I reckon he has all the attributes to make it possible. I also reckon CC and Gus have seen enough of him to know much more than some of the Debbie downers on here lol

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He has the potential to be a better fullback than centre. Whether we see him reach that ceiling with us or not is up to him. Hope he kills it for us

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The only reason I could see him moving to the middle is if he's total arse on the right edge compared to the left edge.
I can’t be bothered searching but I feel like I’ve seen him play on the right at Norths last year. Maybe it was on a highlights real.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can’t be bothered searching but I feel like I’ve seen him play on the right at Norths last year. Maybe it was on a highlights real.
I've only seen him on the left and his left arm carry and right arm fed was quite dominant. Guess we will find out in a week.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've only seen him on the left and his left arm carry and right arm fed was quite dominant. Guess we will find out in a week.
If he is playing in the middle, its not as important what hand he carries with.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So long as he puts that love for the Pennies in a really dark hole and fully commits to the dogs, I really hope he kills it. Seems a lot are wary of him being Cotric 2.0, and that’s a valid and shared concern

That story by Read is a PR thing for Pennies fans, and the wording was probably worked on for a month or so to make it the least offensive as possible.

Can’t wait for next week, need footy

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So long as he puts that love for the Pennies in a really dark hole and fully commits to the dogs, I really hope he kills it. Seems a lot are wary of him being Cotric 2.0, and that’s a valid and shared concern

That story by Read is a PR thing for Pennies fans, and the wording was probably worked on for a month or so to make it the least offensive as possible.

Can’t wait for next week, need footy
I don’t think he’ll ever forget where he came from and that’s a good quality. But if there where question marks on him buying into the dogs system and culture I don’t think Gus would have signed off on bringing him in.

Same… too many articles with little new info. Time to get the show on the road now.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks mate appreciate it. I only confide in a few.
It was more than 6 months ago when i said both cc and crighton had agreed, before any media said anything.
Pretty sure my contract value was spot on also.
Oh wow, that is awesome mate. Did you confide in those few with the Leniu news?

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant believe we signed this bloke to play FB.

By the end of 2024 both Burton and this flop will be in the centres.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I cant believe we signed this bloke to play FB.

By the end of 2024 both Burton and this flop will be in the centres.
Where are all these centres gonna fit in 2024?!!

Unbalanced Top 30 yet again. No room for Avo by the looks and he'll be squeezed out to make room in Top 30 for a forward to fit in.

Getting concerning about our need for bigger impact forwards.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Where are all these centres gonna fit in 2024?!!

Unbalanced Top 30 yet again. No room for Avo by the looks and he'll be squeezed out to make room in Top 30 for a forward to fit in.

Getting concerning about our need for bigger impact forwards.
Averilo can go. He’s shit.