Official Stephen Crichton signs with the Bulldogs 2024

Do you think Crighton will make a good fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was he really poor ?

50/50 knock on call from a difficult kick which most players wouldn't even attempt to catch .... showing his confidence.

Attempted off load in traffic with time running out .... support player catches ball if aware. Risky play for sure but they were behind.

Spills the ball at the end due to a fantastic hit .... i would suggest most players would have.

So he made a few mistakes in his first game of the season .... looked like he was trying too hard to show Penrith his commitment. Fans never think of the human element of footy.

I loved how he attacked the ball ... looked totally at ease in the position, full of confidence, which is half the battle at fullback.

What a specimen ... to use a racing analogy he is a Cox Plate runner.

As i have mentioned numerous times we have a super talented player capable of playing at LEAST 3 positions center/wing /fullback at the highest level.

How many players have this ability?

His versatility is why he got paid ... Peter Peters who knows a thing or two about footy even wrote an article about it.

And yet we have people on this site who actually believe they know more about footy then The Bulldogs brains trust.

Talk about DELUSION .... unbelievable.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Was he really poor ?

50/50 knock on call from a difficult kick which most players wouldn't even attempt to catch .... showing his confidence.

Attempted off load in traffic with time running out .... support player catches ball if aware. Risky play for sure but they were behind.

Spills the ball at the end due to a fantastic hit .... i would suggest most players would have.

So he made a few mistakes in his first game of the season .... looked like he was trying too hard to show Penrith his commitment. Fans never think of the human element of footy.

I loved how he attacked the ball with confidence ... looked totally at ease in the position, full of confidence, which is half the battle at fullback.

As i have mentioned numerous times we have a super talented player capable of playing at LEAST 3 positions center/wing /fullback at the highest level.

His versatility is why he got paid ... Peter Peters who knows a thing or two about footy even wrote an article about it.

And yet we have people on this site who actually believe they know more about footy then The Bulldogs brains trust.

He played like Hoppa at fullback without the hands. Bloke is an athlete that has had it easy in a stacked Panther team and thrived. Very different playing fullback and a huge gamble on our part.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Was he really poor ?

I loved how he attacked the ball with confidence ... looked totally at ease in the position, full of confidence, which is half the battle at fullback.

Can't fully judge till this time next year when he pulls on our CB Bulldogs jersey. That's all that's important :grinning:. How he fills in his time waiting around at Penrith to play for us, really doesn't matter.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He played like Hoppa at fullback without the hands. Bloke is an athlete that has had it easy in a stacked Panther team and thrived. Very different playing fullback and a huge gamble on our part.
Quite a predictable take from you given your stance on the player.

I agree with you on lots of stuff, but not in this instance.

I think he is a great signing ... no gamble whatsoever.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We never paid anything the club did....The club finally has astute people working for it. The right people in the right positions. People that have forgotten more about rugby league than any one person here on the Kennel ever knew or will ever know. If Gus , Ciro, the board all the way to the lonely janitor that scrubs the toilets at Bulldogs HQ believe that Crichton is worth the money quoted and is the right man to play fullback for the Dogs, who is anyone on the Kennel to say otherwise? You didn't pay anything niether did I...trust the process, trust Gus, have faith in Ciraldo and enjoy the ride.
LOLLLLA YEAH OK. Let’s hope this isn’t Waqa Blake / MichaelJennings version 2.0, they were Gus signings too weren’t they as Penrith were paying for both players to play for other teams …

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 1 of which has been in the last 20 years.

Greg Eden another to add to the list of failed imports
Hardaker, Watkins, J. Burgess, Hall, Tompkins.. the list goes on. Seems like the players from 20 years ago handled it much better, e.g: Connolly, Hanley, Offiah, Davies. The ones handling it now came over as 15 year olds (Farnworth, Young).

Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
things happen around Crichton. Once or twice is a fluke yeah, but he has been consistent in making things happen when the Panthers or Samoa need it.. one crap game does not define a player, particularly when the entire team was poor. You lot need to get over yourselves and wait till he's in the blue & white.
He wasn’t even bad bro. I laugh at all these panic merchants, honestly. He knocked on trying a catch over his shoulder, when running back towards his in goal, which was a bit dumb. Another error when the impact of Hurrell hitting him squeezed the ball out, and really, the only one I’d be critical of was the pass in his own 10 which was a brain snap, but if Tago didn’t drop it it wouldn’t be mentioned.

It’s funny how people focus on the negative and completely ignore the positive things he did. He was in good position for most of the match. He was safe for most of the match. He took several difficult catches in tough conditions. His bomb caused an error which they scored from. He made good yards from many runs. His passing was quite good and he looked dangerous several times when they did backline moves. He was in Panther best 5 players. Most of the team were average.

All that and he’s only played around 6 games in NRL at the back. Fuck me people are quick to judge and so dramatic.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wasn’t a big fan of Crighton signing with us at fullback, I would have preferred Teddy/ RTS or even persevering with Averillo.

But he is an X factor player and if Gus and CC see a fullback in him then let’s see how it goes. Im sure if it didn’t work out we could move him on easily enough as he is a top class footy player who would be in demand.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved how he attacked the ball ... looked totally at ease in the position, full of confidence, which is half the battle at fullback.
Yep, this is his most important asset. I reckon (because I do it too) that most fans see his effortless style as not putting in effort. Just because he doesn’t thrash around etc, doesn’t mean he’s not trying. He’s just that naturally casual player. He wasn’t dominated by defenders in almost every run which I expected. It’s so early in his development as a fullback, it really is silly even worrying or thinking one way or the other.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hardaker, Watkins, J. Burgess, Hall, Tompkins.. the list goes on. Seems like the players from 20 years ago handled it much e.g: Connolly, Hanley, Offiah, Davies. The ones handling it now came over as 15 year olds (Farnworth, Young).
Unfair to put Ryan Hall in that list. He was elite his performances against Aus early to mid career proved that. Just unfortunately left his move too late.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfair to put Ryan Hall in that list. He was elite his performances against Aus early to mid career proved that. Just unfortunately left his move too late.
I don’t think so. He’s still playing and when he was with the Rooster what 2 years ago? He still should have been decent, but he couldn’t even break into their first team. He may have played a few games there?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don’t think so. He’s still playing and when he was with the Rooster what 2 years ago? He still should have been decent, but he couldn’t even break into their first team. He may have played a few games there?
He was considerably bulkier during his time at Roosters also. If he came over between 2007-2012 he would have destroyed no question

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Didn’t watch the game but judging by people’s comments, looks like we have another Hopa at fullback.
Hopoate was a consistent performer at fullback, actually he was our best since Barba.

How is that a bad thing if he performs like prime Will Hopoate?